Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question What is "karma" ?

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #21 by sozzled
Thank you very much for your reply. I am actually very pleased that I have read this message. As you say, quite rightly, the "solution" you have found is only really a temporary workaround. I was, in fact, a little disappointed to see that someone wanted to extend from an intrinsically flawed basis: the Karma system, regardless of how people feel about it, is basically flawed because there is no accountability for how it can be used and abused.

I would like to return to your opening remarks at the start of this topic. I will try to explain why I feel that while re-purposing the karma feature may start with all the right intentions it can easily become corrupted.

Suppose, for example, you have a group of regular users who routinely "thank" one another (by voting one another positive karma). There is no audit trail. There's no way of finding out who voted for whom. In then end, a group of people may emerge as a clique who tend to dominate the forum. I'm not trying to say that they haven't earned this kudos based on lack of merit, but I am saying that other people may feel that there's a culture of croneyism operating at the site. Furthermore, the public display of high "karma" levels may intimidate new users from contributing for fear that they might embarrass themselves or be laughed at. I know that these are not your intentions; I am just mentioning a possibility that you may not have considered. I have actually seen this happen but, as I'm sure you will appreciate, I'm not prepared to embarrass others by mentioning the websites where these kinds of activities occur.

Perhaps in addition to the display of karma (for what it's worth) beneath a user's profile, would be to display the number of Thank Yous received. However, would it not be equally important to display the number of Thank Yous given, too?
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #22 by Azure
I totally agree.

BUT: For a mature forum where members have been hanging around for ages, irregardless of the presence of 'tools of prestige', it's inevitable that cliques will form; it is the job of good mods and site owners to keep an eye on things and try and ensure that the doors always remain open and that people, new or familiar will be warmly accepted. It's not always easy, but it can be done with careful management.

Both thank you's, given and received ought to be displayed with a backend tool to switch these on and off, depending on need.

For the interim, I have changed the Karma system by commenting out the negative karma and changed the text to "Applaud count:". It's a footy forum site, so it's very relevant. I've also changed the image from a green plus sign to a clapping smiley.

I'm not sold on a rating system but I can understand its merit with other types of message boards. I think it's a great fit for Kunena and the right approach to take, even though I'm not totally in favour of it.

Now where's that thank you button? ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try..."

More
13 years 1 month ago #23 by prophoto
Replied by prophoto on topic Restrict Karma clicks
It would be great if there was a setting (similar to polls) to restrict the number of times someone can add/subtract the Karma of a user. We have a few users (no idea who since its not tracked) that are removing Karma by clicking it multiple times.

More
13 years 1 month ago #24 by Oscarfishlover
I have to agree, Karma, although in theory a nice way to reward someone just doesn't work. Either people don't know what it means or they just click it either out of curiosity or just to try and create trouble amongst other members which did happen on my forum which is why I would never use it again.

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #25 by Kymmy
I've just removed the negative KARMA selection myself due to people [strike]not logged in[/strike] using it towards a single member (many times in one day)

I know that it's a defunct system due to be replaced but that doesnt stop the issue that it's not yet replaced and as stated open to abuse.

[strike]Perhaps though instead of removal a more karma keeping way would be to show the buttons only to those currently logged in as in my experience the abusers tend to hide behind anonymity..[/strike]

EDIT:Sorry my Joomlawatch was showing the people not logged in yet they obviously were as Karma is already only visible to registered/online members..

Perhaps then what Kunena needs is a reputation system that prevents abuse with flood style protections.. Is the new system going to employ such features??
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Kymmy.

More
12 years 11 months ago #26 by Menphis
Hi Guys,

How can I remove the negative (-) option from karma?

Thanks

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #27 by Kymmy

Menphis wrote: Hi Guys,

How can I remove the negative (-) option from karma?

Thanks

See post #4 in this thread

I'm still a great believer in allowing the negative but removed the button due to two members having a hate campaign against one person..

BUT.. I found a solution :D

As the Karma function checks to see if the user left their last karma more than 6 hours ago it got me thinking if that check could be used to disable the karma of individual members. So one test user later I found that if you changed the time in the database field jos_kunena_users:karma_time to a date in the future the system never clears the 6 hours time limit so prevents the person leaving karma for that time +6 hours. Just use a simple unix time code convertor (as found HERE ) to work out a unix time code for the future.

A simple solution for the odd idiot :)
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Kymmy.

More
12 years 11 months ago #28 by sozzled

Kymmy wrote: I'm still a great believer in allowing the negative but removed the button due to two memebers having a hate campaign against one person.

Happens all the time. We found a simpler solution here, at www.kunena.org : we disabled the feature completely. ;)

More
12 years 11 months ago #29 by Kymmy
Why remove the toys that others like when it's just a few idiots that are trying to ruin it for everyone..

Yep I agree with your previously posted stance that the Karma in it's current forum has no accountability but it very importantly has a negative feature that the thank-you system doesn't have and in sites where a reputation is needed so is the negative function.

In a perfect world we'd all be using a reputation system like in vBulletin but I find the rest of the system over bloated to be bothered to pay for it.. ;)

A quick question for you.. Is Kunena going to replace the Karma system with a full reputation system or is the Thank you system the only response for now?

More
12 years 11 months ago #30 by sozzled
As far as I know, there are no plans to retire the Karma feature from Kunena; there are also no plans to enhance it, either. Therefore, people can continue to use and abuse this feature with impunity. In my daily discussions with experienced web masters, I do not encounter many people who consider that karma adds value to our sites. As you say, quite rightly, this is a matter of individual preference; how we feel on the matter differs and we can all respect our right to be different.

By the same token, every choice we make has consequences. For me, there are fewer consequences if I do not expose my users to this feature: I don't have to explain how it works (or why it works the way that it does) and I don't have to referee disputes that occasionally erupt because of the abuse. But those are just my opinions and everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with me as they choose. :)

In a perfect world I would take the trolls out and shoot them ... but, regrettably, homicide is illegal in most countries in the world. *sigh*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kymmy

Time to create page: 0.965 seconds