Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question [Merged topic] Joomla 1.7 and implications for Kunena

More
12 years 8 months ago #41 by Estacey2009
Replied by Estacey2009 on topic Re: joomla 1.7

Jiminimonka wrote: I like what you have said, and decided to start donating a small amount of money to Kunena from now on, maybe once or twice a month.

I prefer to use the open source 'free' extension instead of paying for membership etc., and Kunena suits me perfectly.

Perfect example of Kunena 'loyalty' and support - I think I'll do the same, and continue to send people here for their forum wants, needs, and desires if they are into Joomla too.

Again, 'perfect example' of customer loyalty and support.. Three thumbs up in the Like box!
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #42 by Estacey2009

LN888 wrote: So... it's now been like 6 days... and no info. :pinch:

I UNDERSTAND that answering the same question over and over is redundant at best... so why not a simple fix to that solution?
HOW? you ask... SIMPLE!

CREATE A THREAD, lock it... and post to it once to twice a day so that EVERYONE can refer to it and feel that we are getting UP-TO-DATE info on the development. This thread can be your updates on your closing in on the release of 1.6.5.
If you have nothing new to report... then FINE... put in one sentence that you are still not ready. at LEAST we all have a feel that we are getting the LATEST info... then we ALL won't "waste your time" (according to some) asking the SAME QUESTION over and over.

Hows THAT?
:whistle:

Great idea! however, one thing we have already hashed out here is that 'we' the waiting masses do NOT want the development and bug kicking crew to slow down.. not one bit.. not even long enough to give us updates.
We've determined that it will take 'time'... how much time?.. always a guess! Best guesses come from experiencing the same 'update' problem as last time.. We agree, this isn't your 'usual' update.. In fact, this is a wierd, stranger than usual.. 'update' brought to us by Joomla..

On the one hand, if you don't update your site to 1.7 you've got no problems.. until... well August 19th perhaps... but still.. no problems if your site is working fine.. So..
The other hand is out, looking for the "Newest Kunena"... because you have updated and want to use it.. It's quite the problem, we've learned..

But ok... we all agree that we don't want the crew to even slow-down in their efforts to bring us the new Kunena... right?!! right..

Great idea though, and a thread such as you mentioned was started here.. I can feel a release coming on.. Wow!.. it's just like the first time I was ever a Papa!..

It never happened on the day the doctor said, and when it started it took 'forever' (36 hours) to arrive.. and that doctor had delivered hundreds of babies!. Ok, this isn't a baby.. but you get the idea..
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Estacey2009.
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #43 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Re: joomla 1.7

Estacey2009 wrote: It never happened on the day the doctor said, and when it started it took 'forever' (36 hours) to arrive.. and that doctor had delivered hundreds of babies!. Ok, this isn't a baby.. but you get the idea..

Similar experience here, my Mrs was in labour for 2 days. The doctors dates never match up.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Jiminimonka.
More
12 years 8 months ago #44 by oc666
Replied by oc666 on topic Re: Joomla 1.7
Hey
I've read the next announcement: docs.kunena.org/index.php/Kunena_1.6.5_Read_Me
But I didn't find any package of kunena 1.6.5. Is there any alpha or beta to test?

Thanks
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #45 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: joomla 1.7
I think I can summarise a lot of this topic with the following three graphics.

The first, below, shows the situation as it was before J! 1.7 was released:

The second graphic shows what happened to the "iceberg" after J! 1.7 came along and flipped it:

The graphic below may help people appreciate the way that the Kunena project operates:

Looking back over the comments in this topic, it seems that some members of the community would like to see the current modus operandi change and that more attention be given to the forum, that the "iceberg" should be flipped, and that the project team members give more weight to issuing situation reports and providing a running commentary on what's happening. Is that really what people want to see?

People can help us in many ways: they can help by answering questions asked by others about their current problems with K 1.6.4; they can help by being actively engaged with testing; some people may even be able to help with documentation or with software development.

There is a finite set of resources - time, people and money - and when those resources are exhausted there's not a lot more that can be done unless there more time can be made, more people can be found to assist the project or more money can be allocated to obtain and employ others to help. Given the pressures on members of the project team to complete the necessary workload (and let them also attend to their "normal lives") I think that some of the requests that people have asked for are a little unrealistic.

We know that there are many demands being made on the project to release K 1.6.5 as soon as possible. The project team is working hard to do this as quickly as possible. I hope that people understand there are many big complex issues being undertaken behind-the-scenes and that, while the project wants (just as much as everyone else) for a timely resolution of the issues created when J! 1.7 flipped-over the Joomla development world, it's difficult to change the course that the "good shop Kunena" has charted. We want to make sure that Kunena steers a safe passage and doesn't meet the same fate that met the Titanic.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka
More
12 years 8 months ago #46 by LN888
Replied by LN888 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
@ Sozzled

DUDE! :blink:

We were just asking for a simple update of it's arrival, and you go in with this HUGE essay-style rant on us as if we were 'lesser beings' having the gaul to simply ask "how's it coming?".

FIRST, I assume (and ONLY assume) that you are "just a user, mate" and not really part of the development team and therefor not 'taking time out to answer everyone's question'. Correct me please if I am wrong.

If I AM WRONG... then why are you taking ALL THIS TIME making pretty graphics to 'dummy down' the concept of the team's tireless work on making this software to work on the recent J! platform. I UNDERSTAND, and I believe THAT MOST HERE DO that this J!1.7 incompatibility was a bit of an unexpected shock and I understand that they are working really HARD on rectifying the issue. We are not freaking on the development team, heck... we all know how hard it can be to work out those bugs, but I don't think that you should swoop in and talk down to us as if we are a bunch of crying babies.

I am not sure the actual founders of this software that has worked so hard to get to where they are today would care to be represented this way. I know I sure wouldn't.

Again... a simple locked topic with a sentence once or twice a day (could only be about 4 words... "still working on it...") will keep EVERYONE at bay. not sure why you are taking this so personally and purposely attacking us about our eager anticipation. It's not like we all were attacking YOU.

Here... have a beer. on me! and lets all be happy for a while. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mstephan
More
12 years 8 months ago #47 by LN888
Replied by LN888 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
K... had a chat with Sozzled,
and it was explained that I mistook his intent. sorry. :pinch:

He was kind enough to explain the obvious major undertaking the development team must be struggling with, having all sorts of server error 500 and such with J!1.7... something no one would willingly like to encounter on their site.

*hands a beer out to everyone in the waiting room*
More
12 years 8 months ago #48 by sozzled
We had one report of a critical error. We haven't been able to reproduce it. We have a standard operating procedure for testing. One of our testers may have broken a few of the "rules" about testing Kunena in a standard environment. Rather than create doubts in the minds of the community based on unsupported anecdotal stories in one or two cases, we're making sure that we eliminate those doubts from our minds before we're sure that everything is right to go.

I hope that explains things better and clears up any misgivings people may have. There's no secret agenda here. It's all business as usual. :)
More
12 years 8 months ago #49 by Estacey2009

LN888 wrote:
Again... a simple locked topic with a sentence once or twice a day (could only be about 4 words... "still working on it...") will keep EVERYONE at bay. :silly:

As we see now, there's been a merging of this topic with others like it. The idea of a single topic sounds great, but others are free to begin another topic.. and another.. and another... So, it's being handled this way.
The presentation of the icebergs was 'beautiful' - especially since this part of the world is locked into a heatwave. I appreciate Sozzled taking the time to inform in graphic detail... I appreciate too the rest of the team slaving away.. encountering 500 errors as they test out the extension. So much to fix, then another thing doesn't work as it should.. what a challenge!

Back to the forum though, it's never been Kunena's way to leave it's patronage hanging, and it's greatly appreciated. So, without ever once asking, 'when'.. I'm simply posting again 'about'...

So that everyone knows, I'm still interested.. Take it easy, do it right..

Meanwhile.. I've been fiddling with the 'eye candy' in the Admin - What do you think of those cool 3d effects on the menu? The little corner of the block lifting up when you mouse-over, not just in the Kunena admin, but the entire Joomla?!! Neat to play with..
More
12 years 8 months ago #50 by Estacey2009
I just mentioned the Joomla 1.7 Admin in the previous post..
I'd like to bring to light one major feature of the new Joomla 1.7 from 1.6, and that is the 'one button upgrade' or 'one-click upgrade' feature.. This is a great new idea, and many extensions are moving along those lines too..

(Let the software update automatically)

This is good and bad actually.. Bad because an update to Joomla doesn't change any of the code in Kunena or any other extension.. So, you use the one-click and suddenly other features of your site crach the entire site.. So, it isn't so good.

Now we have extensions (like Kunena) having to 'ok' the use of the 'one click upgrade' (does that sound right?) I mean, there'll be a warning here on Kunena, "Don't press the button yet!"

I recommend everyone use Akeeba Backup .. it's roll-back feature can save your life and it creates 'restore points' as you make changes to your site.

Be careful of the 'automatic' update button in Joomla 1.7 - Trust me, you'll only use it once to find out what a problem it could be, and then.. you'd be visiting your favorite extension site asking again and again,
Is it ok to press the button? :(
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds