Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question [Merged topic] Joomla 1.7 and implications for Kunena

More
12 years 9 months ago #21 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: joomla 1.7
It wasn't a threat; it was a warning. By diverting our resources to answering this same question several times after it has already been answered, means that we either:

(a) ignore the question (in which case people may think that we're not treating the matter seriously); or
(b) we have to stop work on other matters (in which case it just slows the whole delivery cycle).

We don't want to send either of those messages to the community.

A possible consequence, by continuing to debate whether the project is letting down the community by not answering the question in some other way, means that the main objective of the project - to ensure that public releases of the product are reliable and properly-tested - will be lost on the community. As always, our approach is to ensure that Kunena products are properly tested before making them generally available to the public. It would better assist the project if people either offer their help to test versions under development, if they have the time and the skills to do that, or wait patiently for a new release to be announced.

A few moments ago, I received information that the following Joomla extensions are known to have compatibility problems with J! 1.7:
  • Community Builder
  • Artiseer templates
  • Gantry templates
  • YOOtheme templates
  • JomSocial
  • EasyBlog; and
  • Joomlart T3 templates
So you can see, from this list, that Kunena is not the only Joomla extension to be affected by backward compatibility issues in J! 1.7 despite the observation you made that "the release of 1.7 wasn't overnight; it's been in different stages of release for quite some time."

We ask the community to understand that there is no company behind Kunena. The work is done by volunteers who give their time freely and who also have other real-life priorities to attend to as well.

Attending to this topic has taken me a very long time that could have been spent helping people with problems or testing K 1.6
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 9 months ago #22 by Estacey2009
Replied by Estacey2009 on topic Re: joomla 1.7
Peetree21, the bottom of his post has this:

"If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong." If you say "you're wrong", how do you know?"

Then you come in with your comments to the opposite, the post also has a little arrow begging for a "thank you"...
I hope you didn't stop working to read this comment.. but I just wanted you to know that the Author in question was both 'asking' for replies as well as a "Thank you" for his input.

I see no harm in people asking a question and there are possibly MILLIONS of people waiting, or so you'd hope.. and they have sites that depend on 'their' presentations... I'm sure you'd like Kunena to be their forum of choice, no?...
So, let's not argue and fight or slam each other, let's do what these forums really are here for.. 'exchange of ideas and thoughts' and a place to ASK questions.. I asked for an elaboration on the 'threats' implied is all..

And he asked for a 'thank you' and possible corrections... I want to point out too, that I have NOT asked 'when' or even implied that I care to know... 'when' So, I haven't breached the boundries of the message thread in that regard.

Please, IGNORE my posts if they bother you.. that's what Grown-ups do..
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #23 by sozzled
Thanks, Estacey2009 (msg #10) that all makes perfectly reasonable sense to me. B)

... and I hope my earlier reply (msg #9) makes equally reasonable sense to you, too. I took no offence and, yes, you are entitled to your opinion.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
More
12 years 9 months ago #24 by Estacey2009
I understand and appreciate your elaborated response Sozzled.
There's been no debate here... I merely asked for an elaboration. and understanding You've made it clear(er) than you did.. and I appreciate you taking the time to do so..

I like your forum project, want it to succeed, want to be able to convince others to try it, to use it, to be involved with it.. But you don't have to pause from work every ten minutes to attend to my comments or input.. I'm patient, I can wait until you're ready to release whatever you have..

I only pointed out that Jomsocial made their comment.. and so far, 'their' product is working fine

You received wrong information about YooThemes though, I use Quantum.. it's working fine, and I see no real threat to Jomsocial on my site now..

Basically, it's the Forum that is the only 'hold-up' to a successful update, and people should realize that before upgrading. It's a 'buyer beware' deal out there.. since Kunena is FREE, there's no loss of funds.. only 'fun'...

Please, continue to work hard.. ignore me... I'm a big guy, I can take it.. but don't 'insult' me..
that's just wrong
More
12 years 9 months ago #25 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Re: joomla 1.7

Estacey2009 wrote: Peetree21, the bottom of his post has this:

"If you think I'm wrong then say "I think you're wrong." If you say "you're wrong", how do you know?"

Then you come in with your comments to the opposite, the post also has a little arrow begging for a "thank you"...
I hope you didn't stop working to read this comment.. but I just wanted you to know that the Author in question was both 'asking' for replies as well as a "Thank you" for his input.

I see no harm in people asking a question and there are possibly MILLIONS of people waiting, or so you'd hope.. and they have sites that depend on 'their' presentations... I'm sure you'd like Kunena to be their forum of choice, no?...
So, let's not argue and fight or slam each other, let's do what these forums really are here for.. 'exchange of ideas and thoughts' and a place to ASK questions.. I asked for an elaboration on the 'threats' implied is all..

And he asked for a 'thank you' and possible corrections... I want to point out too, that I have NOT asked 'when' or even implied that I care to know... 'when' So, I haven't breached the boundries of the message thread in that regard.

Please, IGNORE my posts if they bother you.. that's what Grown-ups do..

If this was my forums, I would boot you off for trying to stir things up using some kind of pseudo intellectual posting. Then I wouldn't have to ignore you. Also grown ups (so called) would not have made your original post to begin with, so grow up.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
More
12 years 9 months ago #26 by sozzled
G'day, Jiminimonka, and welcome to Kunena.

First of all I should probably have considered a better word than "consequences" when I posted msg #3.

This is a good discussion topic - or it could be a good discussion topic - as a way for the community to provide feedback on the issues that they're aware of with the recent release of Joomla 1.7 and that's why I think we should leave the discussion open. Unfortunately, people are more concerned about an announcement relating to the availability of K 1.6.5 - which is a slightly different issue. Yes, K 1.6.5 and J! 1.7.0 are related and, yes, we do understand that K 1.6.4 is not compatible with J! 1.7.0.

There are also other Joomla extensions that are not fully compatible with J! 1.7.0 also.

I believe that a lot of good can come from a robust discussion about Kunena and Joomla and, for that reason, I want to see this topic remain open for that purpose. Returning now to my "consequences" remark, in hindsight I probably should have written, "if we continue to receive questions asking when K 1.6.5 will be released then we will continue to reply with the same answer that we have; the answer does not change merely because of the frequency of the same question being repeated; inevitably we may have to lock this (otherwise useful) discussion if people fail to understand that point."

But I did not write that and, as this discussion shows, I have to accept the consequences of my own careless writing.

There's no absolute right or wrong here. Likewise, there is no place on this forum for making threats. If I gave that impression earlier I apologise. We're all entitled to our different opinions but no-one is obliged to agree with someone else's opinion either. Healthy, robust discussions should be encouraged; sometimes these discussions do stir up people's emotions. Let's try to remember that.
More
12 years 9 months ago #27 by Estacey2009
@sozzled, and perhaps everyone..
I'm well satisfied with the explaination (and apology) you've brought forth.. And I couldn't agree more with the 'open forum' discussion (without personal attacks) that could, or often appears in discussion of a topic..
I apologize for any ire my questions and comments may have caused any readership.. The term, "forum" is defined as, " A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

I'm satisified that the group here, behind this forum are keeping in that idea and definition..

Kunena is an amazing project (and product) - I realize that it's not as easy as it may seem to stitch all of it together into something everyone can find no fault with... I know that's why I want it on my site.. it's an amazing item... complex and reliable. Not to mention at the mercy and whim of Joomla, what we might call a 'back-bone'.

Few here know my pedigree, I'm 59 years old now.. I began 'message boards' when the speed of conversation was 300 baud, and only dial-up, pure ASCII characters.. In what was once known as a Bulletin Board using something like Fido to transfer thoughts and ideas, long, long before any 'browser' was invented.. I own an original Apple II, and a Woz machine. IN this day and age, when I'm conversing with people who were witness to the LAST US Space Shuttle Launch, but not alive when the first one lifted off.. it's hard to gain any sort of 'reasonable' respect to comment.. ie, My 'pseudo' intellect.. But I offer to you here, that even the youngest opinion on a topic mixed with the oldest can be beneficial... I urge not a deaf ear (er, blind eye).. but an open 'forum', and one has been provided here..

Thank you for the ability to apologize for any bad feelings I may have caused.. and thank you too for understanding in my messages.. Which, as I have already said.. can be 'ignored' without hurting my feelings one bit.. As Spock said once, "You are mistaken,I have no Ego to bruise".. orsomething along those lines..
More
12 years 9 months ago #28 by yog5121
Replied by yog5121 on topic Re: joomla 1.7

sozzled wrote:
A few moments ago, I received information that the following Joomla extensions are known to have compatibility problems with J! 1.7:

• Community Builder
  • Artiseer templates
  • Gantry templates
  • YOOtheme templates
  • JomSocial
  • EasyBlog; and
  • Joomlart T3 templates

Yes i have EasyBlog too and it breaks J1.7. I think a few days i can wait for the new Kunena version, and wish thats the best Kunena ever :-)
Sorry but i have asked for helping you with beta testing, i´m a little bit experienced in PHP and Databases, oh i have learned this (Information Technology it´s my job :-) ) You don´t want my help, because i´m a frsh user. OK
More
12 years 9 months ago #29 by Estacey2009

yog5121 wrote: Yes i have EasyBlog too and it breaks J1.7. I think a few days i can wait for the new Kunena version, and wish thats the best Kunena ever :-)

This situation is worse for those who have paid for extensions like EasyBlog, made even worse by the fact that Joomla announces an 'end of life' for 1.6 is August 19th.. That's not too far away. What a deadline eh? As was already pointed out here, the Joomla team is sure turning the program on it's ear.
And it would seem, leaving the flak to be dodged by extension designers..

My very best to them, and condolences to everyone in the same boat we're all in here..
More
12 years 9 months ago #30 by deemo
Replied by deemo on topic Re: joomla 1.7

sozzled wrote: It wasn't a threat; it was a warning. By diverting our resources to answering this same question several times after it has already been answered, means that we either:

(a) ignore the question (in which case people may think that we're not treating the matter seriously); or
(b) we have to stop work on other matters (in which case it just slows the whole delivery cycle).

We don't want to send either of those messages to the community.

A possible consequence, by continuing to debate whether the project is letting down the community by not answering the question in some other way, means that the main objective of the project - to ensure that public releases of the product are reliable and properly-tested - will be lost on the community. As always, our approach is to ensure that Kunena products are properly tested before making them generally available to the public. It would better assist the project if people either offer their help to test versions under development, if they have the time and the skills to do that, or wait patiently for a new release to be announced.

• Community Builder
  • Artiseer templates
  • Gantry templates
  • YOOtheme templates
  • JomSocial
  • EasyBlog; and
  • Joomlart T3 templates
So you can see, from this list, that Kunena is not the only Joomla extension to be affected by backward compatibility issues in J! 1.7 despite the observation you made that "the release of 1.7 wasn't overnight; it's been in different stages of release for quite some time."

We ask the community to understand that there is no company behind Kunena. The work is done by volunteers who give their time freely and who also have other real-life priorities to attend to as well.

Attending to this topic has taken me a very long time that could have been spent helping people with problems or testing K 1.6

Artisteer put out a fix withink 6 hours of the 1.7 being released can't speak about the others.

The reson that people keep asking is that Kunenan team always over promise on delivery times for releases without exception. You would get fewer questions if you over estimate dyour delivery times deliberately.

For example four days ago you posted 1.6.5 would be ready in a few days, most people understand a few days to mean 3 now we are on day four people get anxious. If you just said within a week on your first post you would probably get left alone for a week to get on with it.
Time to create page: 0.633 seconds