Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important phpBB Migrator: Looking for phpBB3 users that want to convert their data to Kunena 1.6

More
12 years 9 months ago #71 by GoremanX
I think YOU'RE way off base as this is about migrating phpBB to KUNENA 1.6 and has nothing to do at all with Joomla 1.6.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #72 by sozzled
Gentlemen: There are several issues involved here. The main issue is how to migrate from one forum structure into Kunena.

There are two parts to every forum:
  1. The database that stores the messages, the users, and various configuration settings that govern how the forum operates and these are easy enough to change with a few well-crafted SQL statements.

2. The file storage system that handles attachments (uploaded images and files); attachments are typically stored outside the database. The difficulty here means that you need operate on the file structure. The file structures in Joomla differ between K 1.5 and K 1.6 and so, in that respect, the compatibility of K 1.5 or K 1.6 with a particular version of Joomla may be relevant to this discussion.
Ideally, there should be something that exists outside Kunena to the migration from something else into Kunena. Even more ideally, in my personal opinion, this standalone function should also install Kunena onto whatever Joomla platform is running at the time. But these things take time to develop and they require support from the community to develop them.

There is a genuine need - and a ready market - for this kind of activity. Many players, from the "big end of town", many of them saddled with large legacy forums, are looking at Kunena and Joomla to run their operations. People may be surprised to learn that a lot of the development work that has gone into Kunena resulted from the investment of these few "major players" from which we all freely benefit.

Kunena has always been a free product, will continue to remain a free product, and the support on this forum will be free to all who want to use it. But, while there are great plans for extending and enhancing Kunena in many ways, there is a cost borne by a small handful of people who give their time freely to the project. Kunena is a community-driven project and members of the community can contribute in many ways: financially; developing ideas and software; active participation with testing; documentation; and helping one another with solutions to each other's problems on the forum.

I don't know much about phpBB3 or how to convert it to Kunena. I don't know much about how to convert any other forum to Kunena either, for that matter. I agree that it's important to this project that we find answers that actually help people. I do not think it helps this discussion if we dwell on the technical limitations of the solutions that have been offered.

More
12 years 9 months ago #73 by GoremanX
erm... what?

initial post says "We're making a converter! Send us some data to help us!"

Thread turned into "Hey, how can I do that now instead of waiting?"

And I think a lot of good info was shared towards that goal.

There really isn't any controversy involved here...

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

More
12 years 9 months ago #74 by sozzled
I've discussed this general matter with fxstein and we still see this as a priority activity. The basics for a migrator have already been put together. It remains for someone willing to dedicated their time to assist the project to take that idea forward. If someone would like to do that, please contact fxstein directly by PM.

We would like to progress this (possibly as a paid job) if people were willing to sponsor it. The issue now remains to see who is able to undertake the work and where we would obtain that financial sponsorship.

More
12 years 8 months ago #75 by fxstein

GoremanX wrote: initial post says "We're making a converter! Send us some data to help us!"

Thread turned into "Hey, how can I do that now instead of waiting?"

And I think a lot of good info was shared towards that goal.

First of all thank you and other a lot for ALL the information that has been shared.

Development work on Kunena 2.0 and several custom projects came in the way. Nobodies fault, we all just live off spare time that most of the team here donates freely.

Having said that, we have an opportunity right now to make this happen.

Check back over the next couple of days. We hope we can put this request to rest soon.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
12 years 8 months ago #76 by rinuccio sp

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #77 by fxstein
FYI

As with all our code ( github.com/Kunena ) we have moved this component to github as well: github.com/Kunena/com_kunenaimporter

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by fxstein.

More
12 years 8 months ago #78 by frold

fxstein wrote: FYI

As with all our code ( github.com/Kunena ) we have moved this component to github as well: github.com/Kunena/com_kunenaimporter

will it be possible to test?

This day I startede to convert my board, so this could be my chance to do a test run...

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #79 by rinuccio sp
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by rinuccio sp. Reason: Missed File XD

More
12 years 8 months ago #80 by frold
I was not able to install it...

I get this error:

* JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds