Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Merged Kunena 2.0 "show and tell"

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #21 by Matias
I wasn't replying to you -- your message was in the wrong place (read the topic) ;)

Currently you should be able to turn the feature off. But let's not discuss new features in this topic, shall we?
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Matias.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #22 by kj2010
Hello my dear Kunena developers,
this are some very exciting news here and the last hours a had to read a lot to get up-to-date.

I use Kunena since ~2 years and i am so happy with it that i will never use a different Forum.
You all are doing a wonderful job (and sure, ...the testers as well). :)

But i have an important question.
Please forgive me if it was asked anywhere before.

Right now i have my new site running on J2.5 +JS2.4.2 +JReviews and other things (like AUP) and now only Kunena is missing.
Actually i am not sure if i will install K 1.7.1 because you will give K 1.7.2 soon to public.
But after reading these news about K 2.0 i am no longer sure if i will use any of the previous versions because i can wait and i have a lot patience.

In case that i decide nevertheless for K 1.7.2 my question is quite simple:
Will there be a functional migration from K 1.7.x to K 2.0 ?

And a 2nd question although i know that you cannot answer it exactly (i do make also never promises because noone knows).
But can you say roughly when K 2.0 will be released? I really mean very roughly (circa).
For example: Not before the next 6 months ...or something like this. :)

Thanks to all for your effort and your time creating such a wonderful and beloved component!

Martin

More
12 years 2 months ago #23 by Matias
Answer to your first question:

Migration from Kunena 1.0, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 to 2.0 has been tested many times and is as easy as upgrading any previous release of Kunena -- all the data gets migrated automatically without needing to do anything. The only thing that needs more attention is migrating 3rd party templates to K2.0, because of our templating has been rewritten. That said, if you have only CSS changes from default template, there's not much to do. The old default template has been converted to the new system, so it can be used until you move on to the new templates (Blue Eagle has been deprecated and will be removed in K3.0).

K2.0 needs to be released before Joomla 3.0 gets out, because of we need to have it to make our next version that is compatible to Joomla 3.0+. Kunena 1.7 doesn't even have a change to work in it. Our goal is to release it in few months, but it really depends on how many people are willing to participate in finishing it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: drlovecat

More
12 years 2 months ago #24 by sozzled
I intend to write an article (today or tomorrow) that gives some indication of timings and what people can hope for: the Kunena roadmap for 2012.

In the open source development world it's not easy to make plans and, sometimes, even the best plans are wrecked because of circumstances beyond our control. While we would all like to have some certainty in our lives - to be able to make plans around a timetable that we can rely upon - the best I can do is offer people a rough guide as to our current thinking.

More
12 years 2 months ago #25 by kj2010
Thank you so much Matias and sozzled for the fast and informative replies. Much appreciated. :)

About the template i guess i will not have serious problems. I will wait for the final version i use and will tweak it a little bit for my needs. But generally i have been always very satisfied with the default one.

And the info about "in a few months..." is exactly what i wanted to know - doesn't matter if 4, 6 or 8 months. I prefer it that you take all the time you need.
Sadly i have not the time to participate (i would have already ask for tester group).
It took me more time i thought to get JS running on the new J2.5 in combination with JReviews and i lost already 2 months of my licenses. I can feel with you about the open source development, i know what you mean. :)

Looking forward to more news, articles and the roadmap.
Keep it up folks and thanks again!

M.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #26 by apc
Replied by apc on topic Upgrade route to version 2?
After much research I have decided on Kunena as the best choice for my new Joomla 2.5 site.

My concern/question is this:

If I go with the current version of Kunena, will there a seamless upgrade route to version 2, e.g. within Joomla Admin, or will this be a manual upgrade, having to migrate the mySQL databases etc?

Thanks.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by apc.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #27 by GoremanX
Yes, the upgrade from the current version should be seamless. I've done it a few times using development builds on a site that has many thousands of posts. Kunena 2.0 is intended to upgrade any existing Kunena forum from 1.0 onwards. Even Fireboard, I think. The only exception might be with custom Kunena templates. Those won't be carried over. But if your current template is based on Blue Eagle and only has CSS changes, then those CSS files (and any images) *should* carry over just fine to Kunena 2.0.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by GoremanX.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #28 by apc
Replied by apc on topic Re: Upgrade route to version 2?

GoremanX wrote: Yes, the upgrade from the current version should be seamless. I've done it a few times using development builds on a site that has many thousands of posts. Kunena 2.0 is intended to upgrade any existing Kunena forum from 1.0 onwards. Even Fireboard, I think. The only exception might be with custom Kunena templates. Those won't be carried over. But if your current template is based on Blue Eagle and only has CSS changes, then those CSS files (and any images) *should* carry over just fine to Kunena 2.0.

Sounds excellent.

So the message really is to stick within the existing Kunena template options for the current version, upgrade seamlessly though Joomla Admin, and then modify the style/template?
Ii have looked at kunena in considerable depth and have zero concerns about its capability as a forum - to the conrary, it is excellent - but a crucial aspect of Joomla as a whole is that everything withiin the site follows the same style instead of looking as if it has been "bolted on" retrospectively.

I am going to go with and support Kunena, and hope that version 2 will allow for more complete site style integration :)
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by apc.

More
12 years 1 month ago #29 by rinuccio sp
Beta demo?

More
12 years 1 month ago #30 by sozzled

rinuccio sp wrote: Beta demo?

Soon. We're hoping to move the forum at this website to use K 2.0. Then you will see what K 2.0 is able to do. :)

Time to create page: 2.104 seconds