Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question SEF URLs in Kunena Latest Module not working properly

More
12 years 3 months ago #11 by Linuus

sozzled wrote: Does Kunena require its Kunena menu module? No, it doesn't. But that may not necessarily mean that everything works, either.

This is NOT properly quoted. The question was if Kunena requires "Kunena Menu". WIth that I mean the menu that is created by default, called "Kunena Menu". NOT the module.

The problem is that if you remove the menu called "Kunena Menu" and re-create the menu items in your "Main Menu" the SEF URL's doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, I hope someone else can get some help from this thread as well :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #12 by GoremanX
Keep the "Kunena Menu" menu (don't delete it) and have only one item in it of type Menu Item Alias called Forum (alias: forumalias) which points to the Forum item in your main menu. Don't publish any module which displays the Kunena Menu, but make sure all those menu items themselves are published.. That should remove the Kunena navigation tabs while allowing your Forum menu items to function properly.

This is how I do it here:
www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by GoremanX.

More
12 years 2 months ago #13 by Linuus

GoremanX wrote: Keep the "Kunena Menu" menu (don't delete it) and have only one item in it of type Menu Item Alias called Forum (alias: forumalias) which points to the Forum item in your main menu. Don't publish any module which displays the Kunena Menu, but make sure all those menu items themselves are published.. That should remove the Kunena navigation tabs while allowing your Forum menu items to function properly.

This is how I do it here:
www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum

Yep, and your site is broken as well. Go to the main page and check the URL's in the Latest module.
They look like this:
" www.friendlyphotozone.com/component/kune...night?Itemid=0#14112 "

Because it can't find the correct Itemid it can't create the correct URL's. So, your solution is wrong.

Thanks anyway. It's weird that the menu system is so confusing and hard to set up in Kunena.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #14 by sozzled

Linuus wrote: It's weird that the menu system is so confusing and hard to set up in Kunena.

Technically-speaking, setting up a menu in Joomla is confusing and hard to set up. Kunena just uses Joomla menus. Joomla creates menu modules, that's what I meant when I wrote earlier "you don't require the Kunena menu module [created by default]". The Kunena menu module is normally put in the template position called kunena_menu; you can put it there or you can put it somewhere else, or you can unpublish the menu or you can put something else in the template position as you like.

GoremanX doesn't use the Kunena menu on his site and I can't see anything wrong with that.

What I don't understand is what is the problem here. What is wrong with the SEF URL? Could you explain what you think should be the correct SEF URL as far as the Kunena Latest module link is concerned?

The problem in this case is that no-one can see your website; we don't know anything about the site's configuration. This is what we have to work with:

Linuus wrote:

I tried to clone the entire Kunena Menu into my main menu, but as soon as I remove the Kunena Menu the SEF URLs are broken again.

The only thing I can say, having worked with hundreds of Kunena sites around the world, is that I've not encountered any SEF/SEO issues. As I've written before, I use the KISS principle.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago #15 by Linuus

sozzled wrote: GoremanX doesn't use the Kunena menu on his site and I can't see anything wrong with that.

What I don't understand is what is the problem here. What is wrong with the SEF URL? Could you explain what you think should be the correctSEF URL as far as the Kunena Latest module link is concerned?

You don't see the issue...? The issue is that the Itemid is NOT FOUND => The correct URL cannot be created by Joomla.
Let's take GoremanX's site for instance.

When going through the menu item you get this URL:
www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum/52-TW3/1...-1225--0104-midnight

When you go through the "Kunena Latest" module you get this URL:
www.friendlyphotozone.com/component/kune...night?Itemid=0#14112 "

You see that it sets: Itemid=0? That's because Joomla can't find the correct Item id for Kunena.

In the correct version of the SEF URL you should NOT have this: "/component/kunena/" it should just use "/forum/".

That is the issue. Do you understand?

Also, I can give you any information you want. I just can't give you any admin credentials for different reasons.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16 by sozzled
Sorry, I don't see the issue of GoremanX's website. Both the URLs you gave result in the same page displayed. I don't see any error messages or "not found" messages or anything peculiar. And as for "Itemid=0" as part of the URL, what's wrong with that?

Yes, I agree, there's a difference in the "shape" of the URL but I cannot agree that the URL target is affected or "not working properly".

The problem with this topic is the subject: "SEF URLs in Kunena Latest not working properly".

The subject should have been "SEF URLs in Kunena Latest are different". On that score, we have something that might need to be investigated. Do you agree?

More
12 years 2 months ago #17 by Linuus

sozzled wrote: Sorry, I don't see the issue of GoremanX's website. Both the URLs you gave result in the same page displayed. I don't see any error messages or "not found" messages or anything peculiar. And as for "Itemid=0" as part of the URL, what's wrong with that?

Yes, I agree, there's a difference in the "shape" of the URL but I cannot agree that the URL target is affected or "not working properly".

The problem with this topic is the subject: "SEF URLs in Kunena Latest not working properly".

The subject should have been "SEF URLs in Kunena Latest are different". On that score, we have something that might need to be investigated. Do you agree?

I really appreciate your help but are there any developers around here that can answer?
Of course they show the same page, that is not the point! The URL is WRONG!

The issue with the URL and the Itemid=0 is that the modules that are associated with the menu item are not displayed properly. There is a menu item for Kunena so the Itemid should be set. If it is NOT set it is wrong. Modules won't show up properly, duplicate URL's are not good for SEO..... and much much more.

So, just to state the issue again. The Kunena Latest module is not creating the correct SEF URL's. It SHOULD create the SAME URL as Kunena has itself. Otherwise it is WRONG. Just because you don't get a 404 error doesn't mean everything is working as it should.

Also, the subject should NOT be "SEF URLs in Kunena Latest are different". Because that implies that they are correct, which they aren't.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #18 by GoremanX

Linuus wrote: Yep, and your site is broken as well. Go to the main page and check the URL's in the Latest module.
They look like this:

Because it can't find the correct Itemid it can't create the correct URL's. So, your solution is wrong.

Thanks anyway. It's weird that the menu system is so confusing and hard to set up in Kunena.

I'm confused... that link you posted works fine. The only difference I see is that the module is generating long-form urls instead of SEF ones. But Joomla still accepts long-form urls even if SEF is turned on. Those links aren't wrong, they're in the native Joomla format.

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by GoremanX.

More
12 years 2 months ago #19 by Linuus

GoremanX wrote:

Linuus wrote: Yep, and your site is broken as well. Go to the main page and check the URL's in the Latest module.
They look like this:

I'm confused... that link you posted works fine. The only difference I see is that the module is generating long-form urls instead of SEF ones. But Joomla still accepts long-form urls even if SEF is turned on.

Yes, the link works, but it should NOT look like that. Try to associate a module with your Forum menu item. It won't show up when you use the links in the Kunena Latest module.

More
12 years 2 months ago #20 by GoremanX
ah, now you're on a completely different subject. And you're right, the wrong menu item is selected when viewing a topic that was reached by clicking in the Latest module. However, this has nothing to do with the form of the url. It has to do with Kunena's menu-detecting, which has limitations because of the way it was meant to work. This has been a frustrating issue for years. Unfortunately, it won't be fixed until Kunena 2.0 final is released.

On a happy note, Kunena 2.0 is almost up to beta status.

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds