Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for the module developed, endorsed, maintained and supported by the Kunena project team. The topics in this category only relate to the module developed for K 1.6 and later versions.

Important Error: mb_substr() expects parameter 3 to be long, string given in /home/mydomain/public_html/libraries/phputf8/mbstring/core.php on line 88

More
12 years 1 month ago #11 by qpidity
Here's the unedited config report.

Thanks in advance

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 20M

Kunena menu details:
Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : ablePixel06 | author: Q.Lotts | version: 1.1.0 | creationdate: Jan 2011

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.2 | creationdate: 2012-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.7.1

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: The file doesn't exist sh404sef.xml !

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.2 | Kunena Login 1.7.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #12 by Matias
Looks like mb_substr() provided by Joomla isn't fully compatible with the real one. You get this error only if PHP hsan't been built with multibyte support turned on, or the extension has been disabled in PHP.

For performance reasons I advice to turn it on.

More
12 years 1 month ago #13 by qpidity
I relayed what you said to my host who has replied as follows:

"PHP has been built with mbstring turned on. I would recommend you checking back with your developer. To verify mbstring has been turned on please see the following link"

I checked the link provided (on the shared server) where it is clearly visible that mbstring support is enabled. See attached.

Please advise
Attachments:

More
11 years 11 months ago #14 by qpidity
Hi Matias - any chance you could help me on this please? Still same error appearing.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #15 by sozzled
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 11 months ago #16 by qpidity
I mentioned earlier that I checked with my host who confirms that mb string multibyte support is turned on.

Please advise

More
11 years 11 months ago #17 by sozzled
My advice, for what it's worth, is to try the same situation on a different hosted environment. I've seen one or two reports of issues with PHP 5.3.9 and the issues disappeared after going to PHP 5.3.10. But, in technical matters like these, I usually leave it to the experts.

More
11 years 11 months ago #18 by qpidity
Hi Sozzled. Thanks for your reply. I cloned the site and installed on a separate server where the error message disappeared. I relayed this to my host who investigated further and responded as follows:

"I understand this is frustrating, but I have confirmed yet again that this is a coding issue and will need to be resolved by your developer. The error indicates that the function is not being passed an offset as expected. You can verify mbstring is enabled here: panther.directrouter.co.uk/php/

As for comparing servers that's not a useful metric as the other server could be using an outdated PHP release which doesn't require the same number of parameters."

(The other server is indeed using an older PHP version 5.2.17).

I feel a bit stuck here in the middle. You guys say one thing and my host says another. Can you please advise what I might be able to do to resolve this ?

Thanks in advance

More
11 years 11 months ago #19 by sozzled
The final choice is yours. The choice to use or not use Kunena is your choice; the choice of webhosting provider is yours, too. It's the same choice with any kind of website that people may consider: what software do you need and will my webhosting provider be able to run it?

It is not our responsibility to tell you what to do any more than it's our responsibility to tell your webhosting provider what they must do, either.

These are the established facts in the matter. You have had this problem for over 2 months and there has been no resolution offered by your webhosting provider. You do not have this problem if you use a differently hosted platform. From what we can tell, no other person has reported this problem with the Kunena Latest module.

I think those facts speak for themselves. We have offered you the best advice that we can under these circumstances. In the end, the choice is yours. You have to choose the best solution that works so that you have the kind of website that you need for your purposes. I can't advise you any better than that, sorry. For your sake I will ask the Kunena developers to look again at this topic to see if there's something we've overlooked but, I caution you, this could take some time and it may only delay the inevitable, i.e. we may not be able to fix this problem for you where it involves your current webhost.

Time to create page: 0.734 seconds