Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Trouble upgrading to 1.7.1

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #1 by asajay
I recently applied the 1.7.1 upgrade to a 1.7.3 Joomla! site using the extension manager. From there the update appeared to go fine, I got a success message with no errors.

However, when I wen to the Kunena component and did the DB upgrade, I got an error message saying something couldn't be written, then I got a success message just above it and all elements below listed as OK.

The forum seems to be up and working. Here is a copy of the Report Configuration Settings. How can I tell if the upgrade actually did work even though I got an error message?

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 130 seconds | Max execution memory: 32M | Max file upload: 50M

Joomla default template details : beez_20 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 1.7.0 | creationdate: 25 November 2009

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.1 | creationdate: 2011-11-16

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.1 | Build: 5162 | Version name: UnderUret | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by asajay. Reason: messed up version number at front end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Can-you put here the exact error message which was displayed, else i can't determine the source of the issue.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 4 months ago #3 by asajay
Unfortunately I can't. I didn't have the presence of mind to write it down or take a screenshot prior to changing screens. And now it's been a couple days so my memory is fuzzy.

I could probably manually install the update again and try to re-run it to see if it happens again. I've just not got that far yet. (not a big deal as the board isn't being used yet).

More
12 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled
If this isn't a big deal and it's not causing you any immediate problems then I think we'll just park this topic in the archives until we have more information. Thanks for letting us know. :)

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #5 by asajay
It's not a big deal, but enough to bug me. :)
I took some time to re-install. I simply used the extension manager to upload the zip file (instead of using the Update tab where it's no longer available). After the upload it took me to the Kunena window to either re-install or remove:

I clicked on the Green - Re-Install Kunena button. It progressed very quickly. It flashed one screen before the final one, but the error message remained. It first flashes the error "Unable to write entry" in the red banner. Then it very quickly refreshes the screen with the blue "installation completed successfully" banner with the previous error below it. Here is a screenshot:

So there we have it. It did it twice, same way. Any ideas?
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by asajay. Reason: forgot to proofread.

More
12 years 4 months ago #6 by asajay
So I decided to go a different route and see what happens. I uploaded 1.7.1 again and selected Uninstall. After that, I uploaded again and it brought me to the install screen here:

After that, it appears to have been successful:

It was okay for me to do this, since I'm still building the site and not letting anyone register yet. however, had this been a real live site, it would be nice to know why the upgrade gave that error message. Except at this point I've probably removed whatever the problem was by doing the uninstall so I won't be able to help with any additional troubleshooting.
Attachments:

More
12 years 4 months ago #7 by Matias
Unable to write entry seems to come from file permission error.

More
12 years 3 months ago #8 by asajay

Matias wrote: Unable to write entry seems to come from file permission error.

Do you mean a permission error -inside- the database that prevented a field from being written to?

That's the only thing that would make any sense, since after I deleted the data using the uninstall, I presume all the Kunena fields were removed. Then when I did the new install, it started fresh.

I didn't make any permissions changes between when it didn't work and when it did. The only difference was uninstalling then re-installing fresh.

Are you thinking it was some kind of database field-based permission in the database, like on one specific field and once it was deleted it fixed the problem?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9 by sozzled
Matias wrote "... file permission" See Securing Kunena

More
12 years 3 months ago #10 by asajay
I don't mean to belabor the fact, but....
That makes no sense in this case.

I did not change any file (or directory) permissions between the time it didn't work and the time it did. So please, please, please, please... explain to me how this could have been a file permissions problem?

Let me re-cap:
- Ran an upgrade to an installed Kunena forum and got the error.
- Ran the installer again and selected Un-install.
- Ran the installer again and selected Install (fresh) and got no problem.

At no time did I change -any- permissions on any files or directories.

So you are telling me that some -file- Kunena installed previously wasn't allowing it to be updated because of a permission problem? But after it was deleted (via the uninstall?) it magically re-installed with the correct permissions? I guess I can buy that, but how did that permission change, and on what file? And if the permission was wrong, how come the uninstall was able to delete it?

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds