Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question [Resolved] 500 error after upgrade attempt

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #11 by sozzled
G'day, Michael, and welcome to Kunena.

It's kind of a different question you're asking in your case. First of all, let's look at the subject of this topic (which relates to the great bugbear that many website owners encounter at one time or another), namely a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error. The HTTP 500 Internal Server Error has a long and well-documented pedigree that goes all the way back to when the first internet websites were built. Basically, the HTTP 500 error says "you have a really, really bad error here; I don't know what it is; I don't know why you wrote the software the way you did but I haven't a blessed clue what you've done and I'm just going to curl up my toes and die here and you go figure!" (That's a bit of a paraphrase of a more technical explanation , but it amounts to the same thing).

Fortunately, Joomla helps experienced web application developers with this generic "who-knows-what-you've-done" error by providing you with "debug mode". It doesn't always help, but that's what you've got.

Coming back to your specific issue, we have not had time to test what happens to those people who were using J! 1.6.5 and K 1.6.4, went ahead before K 1.6.5 was ready and updated their site to J! 1.7.0 and who are now in the position of wanting to install K 1.6.5.

But this isn't the situation in ryvix's case: ryvix is using J! 1.5.23.

So now we're in the situation here of possibly dealing with two, unrelated circumstances.

To help us understand more about this issue, gypsykitchen, can you tell us if you are having HTTP 500 errors now?

I feel that ryvix's case is a one-off (I could be wrong; I have been wrong before many times). We do not recommend uninistalling Kunena when there is no reason to do that but, by the same token, there is no major consequence done if you do uninstall Kunena and then reinistall it after that.

Generally-speaking (and this is an almighty big generalisation) HTTP 500 errors are caused by Kunena in extremely rare circumstances.

gypsykitchen wrote: If it is not 100% known if this will work, could we please be informed of any potential risks where there may be some uncertainty or success stories?

That's a very good question. I can only tell you that, in the past 6 hours when K 1.6.5 was built, it has been tested on a few websites and there were no show-stopping issues found. It is used here on this website. I've installed it myself. It would be good to hear of a few other success stories in addition to the ones I have alluded to. If we were not comfortable with this release - given the pressure that we've been under in recent days - we would not have released it.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gypsykitchen
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #12 by gypsykitchen
Thanks sozzled
we will delete k 1.6.4 with extention manager and install k 1.6.5 and report the results here.

but ... after acting so rashly in updating to j1.7 ... i am being encoraged to take all precautions...
so with extention manager> manage> i take out both kunena files?

gypsykitchen wrote: when uninstalling the 1.6.4 version should we remove both the 'Kunena Forum' component and also 'System - Kunena Forum' in the extensions list.

again much thanks
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by gypsykitchen.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds