Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important try this: leave the "subject" filed blank and submit your new post

More
12 years 11 months ago #1 by baijianpeng
when you post New Post in Kunena, if you forget to fill the "subject" field and just enter your post content, then you press the "submit" button, what will happen?

I tested this on the latest Kunena v1.6.4 and Joomla 1.5.23, after I clicked on the submit button, the page just refreshed and all my post content input in the textarea lost.

This post can not be submitted because I forgot to fill the "subject" field, but why my former input of post body vanished after refresh?

I think this is a big problem. And it can be solved via following methods:

1. validate the Subject field when the user click to insert his cursor into the post body textarea, and remind/warning him to fill the subject filed first.

2. If you think field validation is too difficult, how about remember/save the post body input in the browser's cache? So when the page refreshed or when the user clicked the "Back" button, those texts will NOT lose?

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
Sorry, but I can't reproduce the problem here.

If you enter text in the message area and then try to press the Submit/b] button, the Subject[/b[ field is highlighted with a pink background, but you don't lose what you've entered. I can post a picture of this if you don't believe me.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #3 by baijianpeng
Yes, I also saw the pink highlighting.

But, did you really Pressed that Submit button?

Try to do this on IE8 browser, because on Firefox everything is OK.

www.joomlagate.com/

Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by baijianpeng.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
I really pressed the Submit button. The Submit button is disabled until you have

(1) a valid category selected;

(2) subject text; and

(3) message text.

The Submit button will not work no matter how many times you try to press it. You try it!

EDIT: IE8 ... oh well, maybe for the less than 20% of people around the world who use it, and for the one-in-a-thousand times that people forget to enter a subject ... yes, I'll concede the point.

I do not have IE8 any more. The problem seems to be fixed in IE9. Use that instead. ;)
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 11 months ago #5 by baijianpeng
I installed IE9 and tested again, well, this problem is solved on IE9.

So this can prove that the problem is not from Kunena, but IE itself.

Thanks for your help.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
12 years 11 months ago #6 by baijianpeng
Since many users still use IE8, maybe IE6, could you Kunena team please improve this code to support old versions of IE browser?

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
12 years 11 months ago #7 by sozzled
K 1.6 does not support (and will not support) IE6.

The Kunena project team did an enormous amount of work to ensure that K 1.6 would handle IE7 - in fact, the work delayed the release of K 1.6.0 by several weeks.

The design of K 1.6 was "locked down" before before IE9 had been released as a beta. Some work has been done to improve the situation but there are known problems with Joomla and IE9 that may never be fixed until both IE9 and Joomla are modified as necessary. This is not just a Kunena problem; this is a web design problem that affects all web developers.

The plan for K 2.0 is to provide support for the latest browsers Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer but, because each browser manufacturer has implemented the W3C recommendations differently there are always going to be a difficulties in achieve this goal. In some situations people may discover that Kunena will not be suitable for them (just as it's true to say that, in some situations, Joomla may not be suitable, either). The Kunena project team will do the best that it can with the resources available.

Good discussion topic. We are aware of the problem and there is a solution. The solution lies in choosing the right kind of web browser that works for you.

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds