Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Lag after submit

More
12 years 10 months ago #11 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Lag after submit
uddeIM issue: Look at your config. report. For some reason (I don't know what it is) there's something peculiar here. Maybe you should try to install uddeIM again? Could be J! 1.6 related; I don't know.

lag issue: What happen if you try using Beez20 or one of the standard J! 1.6 templates? Do you get the "lag" problem. I understand the symptoms (from what you and others have told me) but I don't know the cause. Could it be J! 1.6.3 or could it be the site template (or something added with the site template) perhaps? Javascript, maybe (for example a conflict with JCE libraries that you use ... or jQuery)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #12 by ProtoPC
Replied by ProtoPC on topic Re: Lag after submit
Usually with a JQuery conflicy I will see a script error show in IE...looks clear. I disabled all JCE items and still had Kunena lose all site styling on a slow submit.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by ProtoPC. Reason: Removed Off-topic Content

More
12 years 10 months ago #13 by sozzled
The last point you raised in your reply has nothing to do with Kunena. You change templates in J! 1.6 is a similar way to the way you did these things in J! 1.5. Changing site templates is a Joomla issue and I really think your question should be addressed in a different forum.

Getting back to the issue of "lagging" between pressing the Submit button, the momentary pause between pressing the button, the flicker of the page, and the rendering of the output, this is something that is receiving current attention as part of the project and we have discussed this matter within our online discussions. I don't have a formal response for you at this time.

We need to do further testing to find out whether such peculiarities exist because of Kunena, Joomla or Joomla extensions. Perhaps other people have evidence of this situation and we would like to hear from them.

In the final analysis, however, the lag, as it has been described, usually has a one-second (or less) duration and does not seem to seriously worry those with whom I have discussed the issue. I think we need to keep that in perspective. If the lag lasted 10 or 20 seconds, there would be cause for concern ... people would stop using your site and would stop using every Kunena site build on J! 1.6, wouldn't you agree?

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #14 by ProtoPC
The Kunena submit issue not a long lag, I would say a redirection stall that clears the entire site formating for 2 seconds...still showing bare text links then refreshing the site. Seriously, looks bad. At this point, I will probably need to change forums...may be simpler for all.

I did change site template to Beez and the issue still showed with Kunena when submitting.

Note that the other site input components JReviews and the site contact form do not show this issue when submitting, nor did the J15 site built with this template and Kunena.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by ProtoPC.

More
12 years 10 months ago #15 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re: Lag after submit
Try to follow that, maybe there is an error somewhere : docs.kunena.org/index.php/How_to_diagnose_blank_page_on_kunena

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 10 months ago #16 by ProtoPC
Thanks for trying to help. Added another input component with no issues. I think it is best just to remove Kunena from my J1.6 site for now.

More
12 years 10 months ago #17 by sozzled
Thanks. We do not doubt that a momentary (two-second) "interruption" in the smooth flow from when a user presses the submit button to when the screen displays the published message may be a reason for people to be irritated beyond their tolerance to bear. Two seconds is about the maximum system response time that most humans will endure. For others reading this topic, we have not been able to reproduce these conditions on our test sites.

In my investigation of this case, the pages that display Kunena on the user's site load 16 instances of Javascript libraries (Kunena itself only uses 3 Javascript libraries) as well as 17 individual CSS files. All these things take additional web browser processing time to render on a screen. It is possible, therefore, that this complex mix of Joomla extensions competing against one another may be the reason for the slowdown, the excessive response lags as much as the type of web browser, the processing power of the end user's computer, memory and mix of applications running on the computer at that time.

We cannot rule out the likelihood that there are performance issues with Kunena. But we also cannot eliminate other possibilities, either.

I think we should leave this topic open for someone else who might seriously like to help us get to the bottom of this issue.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #18 by ProtoPC
Don't get me wrong, Kunena is a great Joomla forum and I have used it many times in past sites over the years. The problem, aside from the lag, is the jarring erasing of site formating for those couple of seconds...then refreshing...a lag alone would not have been such a big deal. Sorry if that was not made clear. Again, the same site template with more components using J1.5 has no posting lag/css loss issue in IE.

So it is probably a J1.6/IE9 thing However as mentioned before, I don't have issue posting content with the other installed J1.6 content components...but I will keep troubleshooting in future releases. When a forum post was made it was pretty obvious. Anyways after a few weeks, I decided to take it off for now and move forward.

Thank you for any time you spent testing the issue.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by ProtoPC.

More
12 years 10 months ago #19 by sozzled
:) Thanks. No, I didn't get you wrong. We understand and appreciate that you have certain business needs that require you to use J! 1.6 and a complex mix of other Joomla extensions and, if Kunena doesn't suit those needs, then Kunena may not suit those needs and that's all that can be said about the case.

As we do not know the cause of the issue we cannot argue against the business pressures that people have that may require them to seek alternative solutions so that they can move forward.

Good luck for the future.

More
12 years 10 months ago #20 by ProtoPC
Other than Kunena 1.6.4, the enabled components during my J1.6 testing was just JReviews, UddeIM... so not too many components as opposed to the many components installed the working J1.5 test site.

In J1.6 testing, I did place the J1.6 Beez template only on the Forum menu but it still had css loss/lag issue. So probably a site wide plugin affecting it...Mootools, JQuery maybe.

I'm leaning towards a conflict between the latest Kunena, JReviews and this Yootheme template....especially since it seems I am alone in this issue.

I may rethink using another template...but not ready yet to rebuild this site a 3rd time just yet.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds