Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Double Login Issue

More
13 years 5 months ago #21 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Sorry, I spoke too soon again. The double login issue is persisting and exists with both the CB login module AND the Kunena Login Module. The most irritating aspect is that it is intermittent.

When I haven't logged in for a while, say a few hours, the second login occurs. If I then logout and login again immediately, it does not show up and I'm taken directly to the forum. This leads me to believe that something is timing out causing the second login request. Very perplexing.

Sincerely,
Howard
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #22 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Can you check something for me, Howard:

(1) What is your Joomla session lifetime?
(2) Your Kunena session lifetime is 3600 seconds (= 60 minutes)

This was given as a hint in msg #8 earlier in this topic.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
More
13 years 5 months ago #23 by freedomcoach
It was sent to 30 minutes but I increased it to 60 minutes.

Another point that is noteworthy is that if I set my forum to registered users only, it will not allow me as a logged in member to enter the forum. It posts a message that only community members are allowed in even though I'm already logged in.

Somehow, Kunena is NOT receiving the information from Joomla or CB, that I am a registered user logged in. This is my hunch. It seems to be a miscommunication between components.

Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago #24 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re: Double Login Issue
Still not sure what could cause this.

There is no such 'communication' between Joomla, CB and Kunena.

Kunena simply gets the Joomla user object passed into its code. We do not control nor perform any login operations. It is Joomla itself that seems to loose the logged in session.

Definitely something we need to figure out.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
More
13 years 5 months ago #25 by emanuelr
Replied by emanuelr on topic Re: Double Login Issue
For me, the combination of setting the session lifetime of both kunena and joomla to be equal AND setting the SESSION HANDLER in joomla's configuration to NONE, solved the problem.
Consistently, when I turn the session handler back to DATABASE, i meet the double login issue, and when set to NONE - no double login.
I do have other issues, now, with my ACL component (NoixACL), after playing with the session handler, but at least it gives you, fxstein, a hint.

This is all with version 1.6.0 yet.
I tired the Kunena login module, but there where too many problems (redirecting led to 404, no login was processed and more), so I use the core joomla's login module (with some output modifications I made in it's template), to include links to kunena, avater etc.
More
13 years 5 months ago #26 by freedomcoach
Hi everyone:

I made some changes on my site which may have solved the problem but I am not ready to declare this done quite yet. More time is needed. I synchronized the session time between Joomla! and Kunena to both the 60 min. but the more significant change I believe I made was to the menu item linking to the discussion forum. I had previously been using a URL link which I believe is actually intended as an external link item.

I changed this yesterday to a direct link to Kunena. I hadn't used this earlier because I was continually getting error messages when attempting to use it but yesterday I was able to get this menu to link directly to the top of the forum. So far, I'm not getting any double logins. We'll see how it goes and I will post an update soon. Thanks again for all the help.

Sincerely,
Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago #27 by sozzled
Thanks for those tips, emanuelr.

There seems, on the evidence, to be some involvement between Joomla session handler settings and Kunena (even though in the over 2½ years that I've been using Joomla I've never encountered this situation before with any Joomla extension).

These are the default values for the Joomla Session Settings:
Session Lifetime = 15 minutes
Session Handler = Database

This is the corresponding, default, value in Kunena:
Session Lifetime = 1800 (seconds = 30 minutes)

These, default, values are what I use on most of my websites.
More
13 years 5 months ago #28 by freedomcoach
Hi everyone:

So far, the double login issue is good. However, a related challenge I'm now focused on pertains to users (including myself) clicking on notification e-mails from posts. When they click on the link arriving in their notification e-mail, they are taken to a page with the following text and no links for logging in:

Please Log In
Only community members can participate in forum threads. You must register or log in to contribute.

This requires the user to go through an extended series of steps to get back to the post that they wish to respond to. They need to click the back button to get to the homepage, log into the site, go back to the link in their e-mail, click on the link, etc.

It is my understanding that the notification link should take the user directly to a login page and upon completing their login should direct them to the post. Is this not the intention?

It seems that this lack of login is related in some way to the issues I've been having. Perhaps, by solving this problem I will also be able to resolve the other issues as well. All help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Howard
More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #29 by sozzled
This is correct. The email link is a link to a specific page on your website. If you have locked out the access to that page on your website then you will be challenged to provide your credentials (viz. username/password). Think about it: you're logged out of the site when you're reading your e-mail, you click a link in the e-mail and ... what happens next? What happens next is that you're asked to enter your username and password because the link in the email points to a restricted part of your website. If you were already logged in to your site when you're reading your email there would be no such problem.

To overcome your problem, give your users an opportunity to login on your Kunena forum. That way they should not be forced to go back to find where they can login elsewhere. At least, I think this is the way I would go about it; I'm sorry, I haven't spent much time testing this. I don't have the same restrictive security needs as you have.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
More
13 years 5 months ago #30 by freedomcoach
I understand your reasoning but the solution you propose is not appealing or workable for me. I want the notification link to take the user to a place where they can login. This should work the same as with any other article only viewable to registered users.

When you attempt to view the article you are presented with a login page. Why should it be any different with Kunena? You said it yourself: it is just another restricted page on the site. I say if we figure out how to fix this, we will also be able to resolve the other problem I've been having.

Sincerely,
Howard
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds