Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Profiles not saving (avatars not uploading)

More
13 years 6 months ago #11 by Dumhed
Replied by Dumhed on topic Re: Avatars not uploading
Just to make sure, I setup a fresh install (same server)

Joomla 1.5.20
Kunena 1.6
(theme used: Blue Eagle)

Same result. No upload.

Turns out... nothing is updating in the profile. I tried editing any of the fields like birthday, etc. After clicking "save", I get returned to the begining of the profile (like I would expect even if it was working). But none of the data is changed. I will edit this topic title to reflect that this does not appear to be simply an avatar issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #12 by dytlyf
Replied by dytlyf on topic Re: Avatars not uploading
Yes, exactly what I found.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it all works if I log in as administrator on the front-end. Have you tried that?

So what is preventing user access, I wonder?

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #13 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Avatars not uploading

dytlyf wrote: Try another browser!!? I don't intend to be sarcastic, but does this mean I must place a message somewhere on my site that says: "Visitors, please note - if you join the forum and find that you can't upload your avatar, please try different browsers until you succeed."

Surely this must be a Kunena issue?

[And, the avatar issue] is not the only problem. If the front-end language and time zone are not the same as the Joomla! global settings, they cannot be changed in the user profile either, nor can the profile information such as birth date etc. In fact, the profile cannot be edited at all.

I don't accept the suggestion "try another browser" was intended in the manner that you concluded it was.

For us, as volunteers in the community, who are trying to understand why it is that for some users there is a problem (or a problem that we are unable to reproduce), we may have other intentions; for example we may be trying to isolate whether the cause of the problem is browser-dependent or not and, under those circumstances, "try another browser" seems entirely appropriate.

Let me give you a practical example: we get many people who report issues with Internet Explorer 7; we are aware of problems, peculiar to that browser, that affect users and Kunena. Resolving the many IE7 issues, specifically, was, in fact, responsible for delaying K 1.6 by several weeks!) I don't have IE7 (I have IE8 and Firefox 3.6.10) but that's all that I have. Others of us, who try to assist users, have Google Chrome, Safari and Opera ... but very few of us have IE7. So, when someone says "I use IE7 and I have a problem" we need to know if the problem is because they have IE7 or because they've done something else. It seems reasonable, to me, that we should be able to ask people to confirm their problem with a simple test so that we can attend to other problems ourselves.

So, no, it's absurd to suggest that users place notices on their website like "if you can't use certain features on this website site, try a different web-browser until you succeed". What, instead, would be better is to say "certain features on this website will not work due to the limitations of Internet Explorer 4.0", wouldn't you agree?

Without seeing the configuration settings of the problem sites, I am no closer to understanding what's preventing avatar uploads. How about we show a more co-operative spirit instead of complaining that some of the suggestions that others make might be a waste of your valuable time. Our time is valuable to us, too, you know. ;)

Further, let's try to stay focused on one problem per topic. The subject of this topic is about avatars not uploading. Let's not confuse things by introducing other problems, such as setting the time zone or birthdate. If the real problem is that users cannot edit any of their own details, then let's just discuss that ... as a separate topic. In that case, the avatar upload issue may only be small symptom of a bigger problem.

Last of all, before we dismiss the cause of the problem as not being web browser-related, what browser are you using? :dry:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 6 months ago #14 by dytlyf
Replied by dytlyf on topic Re: Avatars not uploading
I'm using Firefox 3.6.10.

I accept your points, but I have reason to believe that it is not just an avatar upload problem. As another user and I found, no profile changes can be made, including the avatar. As I also mentioned in a previous post, I can make changes when I log in on the front-end as administrator. Perhaps this is a pointer to the cause of the problem?

If using another browser solves the problem, I don't see it as a solution in my case, other than proving that one browser works and the other not. Since launching the site in question a number of users have already registered on the forum, and that obviously implies that different browsers will be used. I have considered switching to Agora, but I like the 'look and feel' of Kunena, so I am prepared to try and help solve this problem.

Now, consider this totally unrelated issue: Some time ago I installed the aiContactSafe component, but I removed it again because I had trouble with it accepting the captcha code. I was advised on their forum to make certain changes to my htaccess file, which I didn't want to do, since I don't use htaccess. It apparently had something to do with the livesite parameter in the configuration.php file. Could this be the same issue in Kunena?

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #15 by sozzled
dytlyf wrote:

I accept your points, but I have reason to believe that it is not just an avatar upload problem. As another user and I found, no profile changes can be made, including the avatar.

Now that the original poster (who has not been engaged in this discussion topic for a couple of days) has changed the subject to include the broader issues of not being able to save user profiles, let us concentrate on that issue first, for the time being, because it is the most important.

A quick search of this forum on this broader issue shows that there have been several topics started on this issue and some of them are still running now. I don't intend to address all these topics individually even though the causes of the problems may be as different as every installation of Joomla is different. Without seeing your configuration report I can only make general comments, anyway. It is in your interests to read the sticky posts in this Support category because many of them will save you (and us) time.

Most of these "I cannot save my user profile" issues are related to Javascript and nearly all of those are related to the proper functioning of the Mootools 1.2.4 library that is installed with Joomla 1.5.19 and onwards. Many other Joomla extensions (i.e. components, modules, plugins, languages and templates) may install their own Javascript libraries and, in some cases, those libraries actually interfere or (in some cases) disable the Mootools 1.2.4 library. Our experience has shown that this is nearly always the case. Your configuration report will provide some clues whether this problem has implications involving Javascript.

Problems that concern uploading avatars per se (in isolation of anything else) generally fall into one of two categories: (a) installation problems with Kunena in the first place and (b) site security issues.

I don't use htaccess.

.htaccess - the filename is pronounced (dot)-htaccess - is an important file for your website. The .htaccess "template" file, that ships with Joomla - that you rename htaccess.txt -> .htaccess) - should be used. If you are not using this file, we strongly recommend that you do use it and implement Joomla's Search Engine Optimization (SEO) features that rely on the existence of this .htaccess file for improved site security.

I have successfully uses aiContactSafe (but not with K 1.6), without making changes to my .htacess file, and so I don't know if this is relevant to your case or not.

Regarding your ability to make changes when you login as a site administrator: this fact seems to suggest that your site has some security issues and it may pay to read Securing Kunena .

Other components may have an impact on your situation including, among others, whether you are running J! 1.5 in legacy mode . But I think it would help matters a lot more if we saw your configuration report before we jump to further conclusions, wouldn't you agree? ;)
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #16 by JugglesXP
So.. I have the same problem.

Chrome version 6 onwards ( i am using 7.0.544.0 dev) cannot save profiles, or make ANY changes after you click the edit button.

Internet Explorer 9 must be run in compatible mode, otherwise it has the same problem.

This is a clean install, fresh Joomla v 1.5.21

Firefox has no problems.

I have tried changing template, installing onto another server and a few other "tweaks" however.. Chrome seems to be the problem.

If you want my config settings, please PM me. I will happily send them over. BTW, i am on a 64bit machine (windows 7 ultimate) , however my 32bit laptop has the same problem.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by JugglesXP.

More
13 years 6 months ago #17 by DanJRWalsh

JugglesXP wrote: So.. I have the same problem.

Chrome version 6 onwards ( i am using 7.0.544.0 dev) cannot save profiles, or make ANY changes after you click the edit button.

Internet Explorer 9 must be run in compatible mode, otherwise it has the same problem.

This is a clean install, fresh Joomla v 1.5.21

Firefox has no problems.

I have tried changing template, installing onto another server and a few other "tweaks" however.. Chrome seems to be the problem.

If you want my config settings, please PM me. I will happily send them over. BTW, i am on a 64bit machine (windows 7 ultimate) , however my 32bit laptop has the same problem.

I can confirm the same exact problem

More
13 years 6 months ago #18 by Matias
This is starting to sound Joomla redirect bug. You cannot install Kunena 1.6 with Chrome either -- as Joomla uses wrong redirect (301), which doesn't work with the new browsers. I thought that they have already fixed the issue, but then again -- I'm not using Chrome either.

I just verified the bug in latest Chrome -- for some reason it doesn't save the data. We need to investigate what can cause this.

More
13 years 6 months ago #19 by JugglesXP
I had no problems actually installing, although I was using the DEV build, not the regular public release.

I have confirmed the problem also exists on Chrome 8.0.550.0 canary build

I switched joomla SEO off as well, it had not effect.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #20 by motd1024
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 50M

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.0 | Build: 3620 | Version name: Spika | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Installed (Version : 1.2.3) | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

Hi
Same issue here. using Firefox 3.6.10.
I want to uninstall Community Builder, only this problem prevents me to do it.
I have to use CB avatars until this is fixed.
Enabled the mootools upgrade plugin, but with the same result.

Edit: Tested with Internet Explorer 8, profile update and avatar upload works.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by motd1024. Reason: More info

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds