Kunena 5.1.14 Released - Security release (13 Aug 2019)

The Kunena team is proud to announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.14 [K5.1.14] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.14. This update fixed 1 security issue.

× Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged "Who is online" count is wrong

More
7 years 9 months ago #71 by CheechDogg
SAAAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Thanks my Dutch Friend! lol...I will check this out and let you know if it worked out...I just got home from picking up my Son from school, I have to make dinner for the both of us and then I will add this...Once again thanks !

File Attachment:
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 9 months ago #72 by Matias
I've done research on Whois online statistics and it looks like DWho's Online module isn't counting online users in the same way as Joomla itself does:

The main target was to replace Joomla! standard “Who is Online” module because it counts guests incorrect. It’s famous bug, but really “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature”. Joomla! module counts users and guests by sessions, but each page loaded by search bot generates new session, so you get thousands number of “guests” for session lifetime.

In my module you can set short timeout for users activity (independent from session lifetime), e.g. 15 minutes, and list bots signatures to exclude it from guests.

Algorithm that we use for counting users and guests is identical to what is found in Joomla both Joomla 1.5.25 and 2.5.0-Beta2. It counts all the users who have forgotten to log out together with all search bot visits which are stored into #__session table, resulting something like 500 users and 10000 guests.

Accusing that Kunena doesn't count total online users in the same way than Joomla does is wrong, because of it isn't true -- just compare our code to what is in Joomla distribution and see, that the code is almost identical (we just add another option that tries to make the count smaller).

So Kunena is just replicating a bug from Joomla, mostly because of there wasn't any better option availabe when the feature was implemented and nobody had the time to look at better ways to do it. There are 3rd party modules that aim to fix that bug, but nobody has fixed the bug to Joomla itself, even if the bug has been there for over 3 years.

Yes, we could fix the bug in Kunena, but I think it should really be fixed from Joomla instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CheechDogg
More
7 years 8 months ago #73 by CheechDogg
Matias I appreciate you looking into this a bit more but I have a couple of questions for you.

Even if you do add the default whos online for joomla, it still doesn't display the same numbers that the kunena whos oline mod does.

You say you can fix the bug in Kunena but you think it should really be fixed from Joomla instead? How do 2 wrongs make a right? You don't think you should take the "Initiative" here and fix it and prove us all wrong?

The way I see it right now is that you guys do not want to spend the time to fix this issue. You saying that nobody had the time to look into better ways doesn't justify you or anyone else on the staff not fixing this issue over the span of 3 years.

Now I don't mean to insult you, but you being a developer and being on staff should mean that you guys "could" actually fix this.

Would it be possible to use a Java script to eliminate the search bot visits all together? I was reading about using ".htaccess" to prevent certain bots like "Gigabot" (Gigablast) search engine who is notorious for over inflating search bot visits to the point where they can even eat up your servers bandwidth.

I added the following to my "robots.txt" file to prevent these guys from doing just that:

User-agent: Gigabot
Disallow: /

This has now lowered the 1000 guests and visitors down to respectable and believable numbers. I currently have an average of 20-30 guests or visitors on a daily basis and that is on par with the numbers my cPanel analytics gives me according to the different IPs recorded.

How ever, the numbers for guests and visitors for the Kunena Whos Online mod are still in the thousands even if I set the session lifetime to something like 10-15 mins. Would I have to add a robots.txt file to the Kunena root folder or maybe like I said, use a Java script to prevent "Gigabot" from crawling Kunena all together?

Thanks again Matias for the research, I appreciate you looking into this a bit more.

File Attachment:
Find me on Facebook.

More
7 years 8 months ago #74 by CheechDogg
Here is an article about "Gigabot" and how it is more of a pest than anything else.

spam.tinyweb.net/article.php/gigabot

File Attachment:
Find me on Facebook.

More
7 years 8 months ago #75 by woonydanny
I don't think my kunena and joomla counts are the same ?...

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
More
7 years 7 months ago #76 by Betground
Hi guys,

i am facing the following issue.
Despite the fact that I haven't published my forum I see that there are 11 guests online!!! :S

Is this a bug?

Thank you
More
7 years 7 months ago #77 by Betground
Guys,

I am using joomla 2.5.1

It is not just in 1.5
More
7 years 7 months ago #78 by sv8bur
the tab that shows the connected usrs shows wrong number, it shows for examble that there arr 17 users connected but at the time that says so the user that is connected is mm as Admin and on more or nobody else. Why is this happening
the forum is www.boyshobbies.com
Thank yoy very much
Attachments:
More
7 years 7 months ago #79 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #80 by Bronte
Problem:

The "Who is Online" forum part shows wrong informations. This happened the first time after a migration from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

1. The Guest count is always zero
2. The number current online members doesnt korrelates with the shown usernames
3. sometimes membernames are shown there who arent online at all

Example:

In total there are 0 users Online :: 0 Members and 0 Guests
Bronte, tezzerzet, tigris

Some infos:

- Joomla 2.5.4
- Kunena 1.7.2
- all kunena modules are on 1.7.2 (especially the statistics module)
- session timeout is the same for kunena & joomla
- the joomla backend shows correct whoisonline informations
- you can check www.starcade-gaming.org/index.php/forum

what ive already done:

- sync users (clean usercache etc.)
- manually cleaned the kunena&joomla sessions + whoisonline database tables
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Bronte.
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds