Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Set Allow Nickname on Posts to Yes but Name does not display

More
13 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 11 months ago #11 by sozzled

bobmeetin wrote: So the question here is what magical mixture of Mootools, Joomla and Kunena version do I need to assemble to make Name work and bbcode. etc work in harmony?

I think that question is off-topic but I will answer it, anyway. Standard Joomla 1.5.22 with Mootools 1.2.4 and standard Kunena 1.6.3.

If you are using Internet Explorer 9 I believe that you need to have Mootools 1.2.5

As far as your missing BBCode toolbar is concerned, please look at If you are having problems with K 1.6, please read this first

As far as setting the nickname on posts in K 1.6.3 is concerned there is an "understanding" among the development team that parts of this feature are broken. I do not know what plans there are for fixing these thngs.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #12 by bobmeetin
Thank you; I don't agree that my query has gone off topic because it is relevant to the solution, etc. How do I ensure that this is seen by the development team? The need for a working solution is there be it one month, three months, six months.

In general my clients want the ability to use either a mask or handle in creating posts so that neither their Joomla name, username or email is displayed. If working this gets you in the right direction.

More
12 years 11 months ago #13 by etkritikonspoudon

sozzled wrote: As far as setting the nickname on posts in K 1.6.3 is concerned there is an "understanding" among the development team that parts of this feature are broken. I do not know what plans there are for fixing these thngs.

Has the development team considered of properly introducing this feature in Kunena?

I will restate to make my point more evident. It would be very nice if a users were able to choose and set a nickname to appear throughout the forum instead of either the actual name or the username:
...for confidentiality / personal data protection reasons, many users don't like to have their real name displayed...
...for forum security reasons it might be better not to have the username with which one logs in the site displayed...

will you consider implementing this in the next upgrade?

thanks...

More
12 years 11 months ago #14 by sozzled
As far as I know, there are no plans to introduce new functionality into K 1.6. The design of K 1.6 (and the feature set) was fixed 12 months ago.

I do not understand the problem. You have the choice in Kunena to configure your forum to display either the username or the real name when messages are displayed. There isn't a "third choice" to use something else. If your users want to use something else, let them register with different accounts and use those when they want something "else".

More
12 years 11 months ago #15 by fuin
But the nickname function does not work now which is suppose to be the third choice.... I tried it on my forum which is Joomla 1.5.23 Kunena 1.6.4 It won't let me use 'name' in a reply, I have my full BBcode toolbar, I have access to everything that should be being affected by Mootools so I don't THINK that that is the issue... but who knows at this point.

Is there a way so that one can change on the registration 'real name' which is what is easier and safer to change, to say nickname. That way they can use that as their nickname and They won't accidentally put in their real name for it?

The rules on my forum are one account per member for a reason - I run contests with REAL prizes not okay get a hundred Karma for being awesome, but things like books, gift certificates, merchandise.... They CAN'T have multiple accounts because I don't want them having multiple chances to win because they want to have a bunch of different names.

AND because of the type of forum it is they WILL want to change names occasionally (I've been having issues with usernames beyond this so haven't fully launched yet...) It's an RPing based forum. So sometimes characters get killed off stuff like that and names get changed in the process... They can't change their username because quite frankly I want to be able to have a set okay THAT is who you are.

And with Real name as the other option there is an issue with privacy. There are a lot of stupid people out there that will put in their full REAL name some of these are minors under the age of 18. And I'm sure you can see how that can be a problem.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #16 by sozzled

fuin wrote: But the nickname function does not work now which is suppose to be the third choice....

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, there is an understanding within the Kunena development team that some parts of the nickname feature have problems.

With this forum here, at www.kunena.org , there is no allowance of nicknames; there is also no allowance for changing usernames after registration either. Therefore the only way that people can masquerade with multiple personalities is to register with different usernames.

Have I misinterpreted some point that you were trying to make?

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #17 by fuin
Yes you have.

My point was on my forum - no multiple accounts for contest reasons which cuts out the fix you have on this forum which is multiple accounts.
Real name for display name- there are plenty of members on other sites (maybe not this one because most 14 year olds don't want to deal with trying to get a real forum to work they go and make a free one from some various site and link it to their free website and there is advertising everywhere....Real names are a confidentiality issue if I decide to use those and the 'Real name' they've used is actually their full real name... Yes they can change it but lets face it some kids are just stupid as rocks some adults as well when it comes to protecting their information.
Username - If I let it change both names start changing and short of ids which I am not about to memorize, names yes numbers no, I can't keep track of people for said contests which make multiple accounts a no no.

So what parts of the nickname function don't work???? I can't get it to work at all. I aw how you went and 'tested it' how it's suppose to work in replies but not MAKING the subject... it didn't work in replies for me either....(and I"m glad the team is aware of it, I noted that before) but that doesn't tell me why it's not working at all for me.

My other question in this thread I sort of answered.... Which was can one change real name to nickname or display name so people don't use their real name. That I've come to the conclusion is on the Joomla side of things which isn't making it any easier. But I know you guys can't help there.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by fuin.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #18 by sozzled

fuin wrote: Is there a way so that one can change on the registration 'real name' which is what is easier and safer to change, to say nickname. That way they can use that as their nickname and They won't accidentally put in their real name for it?

I think I understand the point that you are trying to make and I'm sorry I was a little slow. This is somewhat off-topic (because I was trying to address the "nickname" feature question in the context of Kunena) but I see what you are trying to do.

As you know Kunena is not responsible for user registration. Whether or not you allow your users to change their "real" name (and let's leave aside the naïveté of 14 year-olds who should probably be a little more cautious when they register or websites) is something that depends entirely on how you manage your user registration process. For example, basic Joomla allows people the option to change certain details in their user account assuming that you provide them with a menu item to do so. Many third-party products (like JomSocial or Community Builder) likewise offer this functionality. Under certain conditions, people can change their "real name" in Kunena, too, but this may be limited by other policies that you have implemented on your website.

For example, if you have set your forum to use the Kunena user profile, your users can edit their profile as demonstrated by the following screenshot.

Does that help?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuin

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #19 by fuin
Yeah this is sort of what I was talking about... and this IS what I am doing atm...As members can change their 'Real Names' on my site... I've already allowed that

However where it says Name in front of Super User(not the name the member puts in).... I was wanting to alter that. Which I have discovered (I'm fairly certain) is something I need to deal with in the PHP pages from Joomla (three of them I think where I have to fiddle with variables) Which is not Kunena's side of things. Since I want that to say 'Display name' There and in the registration form itself, so there is no need to deal with dumb rocks, 13 years or older at all putting in their real information and accidentally sharing that with the world.

Though if there is a section of code I need to change in Kunena as well to make it show up right.... that would be good to know.

Edit: And I only want to change this since Nickname is not working... so trying to find a way around the nickname issue so would like to think it's on topic...at least in some way.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by fuin.

More
12 years 11 months ago #20 by sozzled
Again, while allowing this off-topic discussion to continue (because it really does not tie-in well with the question asked in msg #1), let me recapitulate the position. Kunena is not responsible for user registration. There is no user registration form generated by Kunena. It depends on the user registration process that you are using and the translation of "user name" as "display name" (or something else) that may give your users some guidance.

I hope that helps.

Time to create page: 0.621 seconds