Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Merged If you are having problems with Kunena, please read this first

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #711 by sozzled
The problem is not only caused (in J! 1.5) by enabling or disabling the Mootools Upgrade plugin. The BBcode toolbar is managed by Javascript. If the BBcode toolbar does not function (or appear) it's because you have a Javascript library conflict. Several Joomla extension developers (those people who develop templates, modules, plugins, some components) use their own Javascript libraries and some of those libraries are incompatible with Joomla's Mootools. Without knowing what other Joomla extensions you are using, it's impossible to answer your question. That's why the links contained in msg #1 of this topic are a guide to some of many things that you need to look at.

Often, the problems that people report to us (in this topic) were caused when people start by installing Joomla, then they add a few dozen other extensions and, last of all, they add Kunena ... and that's when the problems start to occur. We discuss this phenomenon in Which came first? The template or the forum? (it might be worth a quick read).

Your Kunena configuration report may indicate something that could help. Your config. report will show (among other things) which Joomla site template you are using. Some Joomla site templates are more likely to manifest these "missing BBcode toolbar (and other things)" problems more than others (Rockettheme templates are a well-known case where these issues can occur).

The cause is a Javascript library conflict with Joomla's Mootools. What has loaded a conflicting Javascript library (that clobbers Kunena) is anyone's guess because it's different for each person depending on what version of Joomla they're using and what extensions they've installed.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #712 by tanknutdave
REMOVED DETAILS
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by tanknutdave. Reason: REMOVED DETAILS

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #713 by sozzled
Themza templates are well-documented in this forum as prime examples of templates that do not work well with Kunena (search, any date, for Themza in the subject). Themza templates (particularly those that were developed before July 2010 - when Mootools 1.2.1 was released) are definitely no good in today's J! 1.5.26 environment.

Also, watch out for conflicting jQuery calls. Make sure that jQuery is loaded in "no conflict" mode (one of your Joomla extensions uses jQuery, in case you didn't know).

Try a different template (e.g. rhukmilkyway) to see if this fixes the problem. Then choose a template that co-operates nicely with Mootools 1.2.1 without introducing its own Javascript libraries that give everyone more problems than you can poke a stick at! :lol:

Seriously! B)

*** Off-topic *** Recommend you upgrade to Kunena Latest 1.7.2 as well as Community Builder. See K 1.7.2 release notes for more information.

More
11 years 10 months ago #714 by tanknutdave
I dont want to use that template

i am not having a problem with other modules/extensions apart from kunena, so rather having something I like I am held to ransom by choosing to use kunena :(

Are there any other editors we can use with Kunena?

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #715 by sozzled

tanknutdave wrote: Are there any other editors we can use with Kunena?

No.

You're not being held to ransom but the solution in your case depends on what you consider is more important to your community - all the other things you're using or Kunena.

You are using some other Joomla component that is not fully compatible with standard Joomla Mootools. Kunena uses standard Joomla Mootools to render the BBcode toolbar and that controls the file attachment/upload feature as well as a few other important forum functions. Finding out what it is that's clobbering Kunena can sometimes take a while.

The cause is not necessarily isolated to one thing. It could be a template, a menu module, some other module, a plugin or anything else referred to in the link in msg #1 of this topic. Not easy to answer in an self-help forum setting like we're using at the moment, but we're doing our best. :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #716 by tanknutdave
Do you have a registry of known templates that do work with Kunena? so I could have a look and try another one? The forum is only a small section of my site :) Otherwise I will just do away with the forum, I cant be bothered with all this compatibility issues, having to find and experiment is crazy, that's why I feel like im being held to ransom :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #717 by sozzled

tanknutdave wrote: Do you have a registry of known templates that do work with Kunena?

If you use Google you will find several million Joomla site templates. We do not have time to test all of them, sorry. If you search this forum (use your template name as a search key) you may find other topics where your specific template has been reported before (or you may not). Ultimately, many of these issues come down to My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena (but not always!)

Wouldn't it be delightful if there was a magic silver bullet? Unfortunately, detective work is a slow process and requires effort. If you do not want to use Kunena, that's your choice, too. We're sorry that we always fix everyone's problems for them.

"Experimentation" is easy, too. See When all else fails, try this which only takes an hour to do. ;)

I hope this helps but, if it doesn't, we're always improving Kunena and future versions will not have the problems that many people currently experience in this Javascript library conflict-caused matter.

More
11 years 10 months ago #718 by tanknutdave
which template are you using here?

More
11 years 10 months ago #719 by sozzled
It's a home-grown custom Joomla template designed for J! 1.5, Dave.

More
11 years 9 months ago #720 by tanknutdave
Can we download it and use it? :) would make sense to use this template :P

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds