Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question page titles

More
13 years 4 months ago #21 by jdenver
Replied by jdenver on topic Re: page titles
FWIW, I agree with you. By "fully" I only meant that it's not 100% compatible, and thus unlikely to be a design goal of the developers when considering whether a change to the code would be characterized as a "bug fix" or a "customization". I did not mean to imply in any way that Kunena is extraordinary it its incompatibility. It's very well written. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #22 by prophoto
Replied by prophoto on topic Re: page titles

jdenver wrote: The kunena code is hardcoded to use the language file for page titles, not the menu name or title parameter. This is an obvious oversight but something easily correctable.

Do Kunena devs accept code submissions/fixes from the community? If so, I would be happy to submit a fix so future releases don't break this functionality on my end.

@jdenver....THANK YOU!!!!!! Finally someone that answered this question!!! I thought for sure this was a real bug (that is obviously being debated as we speak, I agree with jdenver that it should be fixed to use the menu item paramaters) but finally knowing how to change the page title 3+ months later is better than nothing.

More
13 years 4 months ago #23 by provafm
Replied by provafm on topic Re: page titles
Any chance when this fix is implemented it could offer a naming system?

I'm not sure what everyone's referring to about 'using Joomlas system'

Something that would work great for everyone's flexibility is an input field where you could enter:

%sitename% | Forum > %threadtitle%

So people could match their titles to the rest of their site
(ie: I use: Prova | Forum > Help me with this thread..... )

Get a professional advertisement @ the price you pick @ prova.fm

More
13 years 4 months ago #24 by prophoto
How do I change it? I have looked through the ini's and can't seem to nail it down.

More
13 years 4 months ago #25 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: page titles
This appears not to be a standard feature of K 1.6 - in spite of what may have been written earlier in this topic - and I have no information as to when this might become a parameter-driven feature of Kunena. No doubt you can change the window title information by making changes to the Kunena source code however I am unable to provide you with the specific details, at this time, about which particular file contains the relevant blocks of PHP that you would need to edit.

Perhaps someone else can provide us with this information. :dry:

More
13 years 4 months ago #26 by prophoto
This is such a basic part of Joomla, website design and SEO I can't believe its been overlooked.

More
13 years 4 months ago #27 by sozzled
This has not been "overlooked" as you seem to think

Kunena provides users with SEF URLs. Perhaps the form of the SEF URLs is not what you might like. But Kunena still delivers SEF URLs.

However SEF URLs and window titles - the <TITLE> tag - are two entirely different things. I thought we were discussing the form of the <TITLE> tag. :unsure:

I'm confused. What are you talking about?

More
13 years 4 months ago #28 by prophoto

prophoto wrote:

sozzled wrote: What exactly do you mean by page titles? A picture of what you mean would help. Thanks.

Code:
<html> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head> <body> The content of the document...... </body> </html>

Page title, as in the metadata title tag in the head of the html document.

Page titles.

More
13 years 4 months ago #29 by sozzled
Yes, that's a page title. I agree with you.

When I look at this web page, the page with this discussion, I look at the HTML code and it shows the following:
Code:
<title>page titles</title>
. Under the Microsoft Windows 7 windows operating system and using the Firefox web browser, this renders the window title as page titles - Mozilla Firefox.

Page titles have a little bit to do with search engine optimisation. The <TITLE> tag plays a very small part in how well your web pages rank in popular search engines like Google. So when we talk about SEO we want to be very careful what we're really discussing.

Search Engine Optimisation is far to large a topic to discuss here in this forum. There are whole websites devoted to SEO. Ultimately, however, as far as Kunena is concerned, your web-based forum ranking in Google is constrained by the limitations of Joomla. But does all this really matter?

For example, if someone wanted to search for this topic that we're writing about, would they find it by searching for the title? Would people search for "page titles"? Of course they wouldn't. However this topic is indexed in Google and you can find it. So, you might like to ask yourself the question, does it matter how you go about the process of changing the underlying structure of Kunena to suit yourself when Google and the other major search engines will index the page in their own way. As I said before, this topic is a huge one and we could write hundreds of thousands of words about it and it probably wouldn't make a gram of difference.

Page titles make more sense to the end user in terms of the caption that appears on their browser window. Page titles play a very small role in how your forum ranks on a search engine. Our experience with third-party Search Engine Optimisation tools developed for Joomla has shown that many of these products cripple the functionality of Kunena. Our experience has also shown that many of these products cause massive performance problems for your webserver. In the end, it boils down to whether your website is easy to use and is a pleasure to use for your users or whether you want to have pole position in Google.

Yes, you can change the page titles, if you really want to. You need to change some PHP source code somewhere. I don't know where, exactly, you need to change this source code (or what you want to change the source code into).
Attachments:

More
13 years 4 months ago #30 by prophoto
It seems as if we have gotten off topic. This is not a discussion on the importance of page titles in SEO (even know I believe you are very off base and underestimate their importance). The goal is learn how to change the page title from "Categories - Web Site Name" to whatever I want.

I've use many Joomla components, good bad and ugly. This is the first time I have been unable to customize a simple page title. Can you please forward this post to someone that could let me know how to customize page titles in Kunena?

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds