Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question [Merged topic]The great Mootools/Javascript conflict discussion

More
13 years 7 months ago #171 by lulu
I am asking for help ;)

I am using the template Yoo Explorer and i just upgraded my Kunena to 1.6
IT looks beautiful and i simply must have this forum, however I have the same conflicting mootool issue where the bbcode does not display or the menu tabs

Please help, I really do not want to lose my template as it is part of my branding
I love love love the new Kunena Forum and do not want to downgrade neither

I will appreciate all the help I can get :kiss:
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #172 by sozzled
G'day, lulu, and welcome to Kunena ...

The main problem, as you may have gathered, is not Kunena; the main problem lies with the developers of software that bundle their own Javascript libraries that clobber Joomla's standard Javascript libraries. Kunensa just uses the standard Joomla Javascript libraries.

But we're not here to engage in a tedious finger-pointing game of who's done what with what. My best recommendation to you is to contact YOOtheme ( www.youtheme.com ), where you paid good money for their product, and tell them your story. Ask them if they are able to recommend a way for you to use the YOO Explorer theme with the Joomla Mootools 1.2.4 library and let's hear what they have to say.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #173 by adminthptngochoi
If you use sef component, please upgrade it to last version. Then BBcode toolbar will work
SURPRISE! It is simple
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by adminthptngochoi.
More
13 years 7 months ago #174 by sozzled
adminthptngochoi: Could you please tell us,
  • the name and version of the SEF component that you were using before that was giving you the problem; and
  • what version are you using now?
Thank you.
More
13 years 7 months ago #175 by Fenrir

fxstein wrote: Sorry but what is your problem exactly? I cannot find a post from you with a request for help (sorry if I missed that)
Most of the conflicts can be easily solved with access to a site, and cleaning up old and or bad code.

If you want help, please ask for it, but please refrain from generic comments like that.

See, had we taken the latest jquery library and shipped it with our component, it would be the very same issue. The problem is not mootools vs jquery, the problem is that there is way too much overuse of them. In reality modules, plugins and components should not even be allowed to load extra frameworks. This is the reason why there is so much incompatibility out there. You can have 3 modules each loading their own version of jquery and with #2 of them the page will already be broken.
The last year we have been chasing jquery issues like that. I strongly believe that Kunena - by going full Joomla and using the built in framework - has done the right thing. We also minify all our js and css - something you expect from every extension out there - yet 99% dont do it and don't care.

The community here will gladly help everybody cleanup their site installs, so new versions can be installed, you just have to ask for help.

Thanks for offering me your help, but as I said before, the problem is like you said, a great part of extensions doesn't use mootools 1.2.4 already, and we have to wait for them. An example is News Show Pro GK4 from Gavick: tools.gavick.com/newshowpro.html In their roadmap they want to enable their module to use both Mt 1.1 or 1.2, and I don't want to pay a subscription to their support only to get the answer "wait for our next release or disable mootools upgrade plugin".

And, like that, there are lots of cases of other extensions. See the answer of Sozzled after you, he asks for we to get the help of developers of other extensions, but then, here comes answers like "we're working on MT 1.2 compatibility, wait for our next releases", "disable MT 1.2 and it will work properly", and I can carry on.

I don't blame kunena to try to do the things right, but the problem is that in joomla 1.5 there is not a manager of scripts (like in joomla 1.6) and it already caused a lot of trouble about scripts in the Extensions for J1.5. But, we could get the work done enabling or disabling the load of scripts from extensions. The problem now is that with the mootools upgrade plugin there is a different version of the same script and, or kunena (that uses 1.2) doesn't work properly, or other extensions (that uses 1.1 or jquery) doesn't work.

Then, we have to come and ask for help, then ask for help for every extensions developers that uses old versions of mootools, and it's a game that I don't want to play because Kunena 1.5 works properly in all the sites I've installed it and Joomla 1.6 is coming soon with its scripts manager that I hope it will make things more easy and the standard would be to use the scripts manager instead of all the chaos made by not having a standard in scripts of a large number of extensions.

I surely will sound like a lazy guy, but it's just that I'm tired of 1.5 and I really want to upgrade to 1.6 that looks promising and forget all the troubles of 1.5, which is very outdated. So, my problem is not with you guys, is that the JED is full of extensions that doesn't uses standards like you, but we're used to it, and until they don't upgrade their extensions to work with the mootools upgrade plugin, there will be lots of work to do if we want to use that plugin.

Really do we Have to use mootools 1.2 in K1.6? can't we have the option of what version to use? or use another script instead?

Let me know if I say something wrong in English's grammar or syntax
More
13 years 7 months ago #176 by Matias
From the developers point: it's really easy to make old MT1.1 code to work with MT1.2 (when compatibility mode is turned on, like in Joomla 1.5.20), but it's not easy to make new code designed to use MT1.2 to work in MT1.1 -- they are just too different.

I was debugging one site yesterday morning as nothing worked in it. The issue was that JQuery was loaded 3 times and one of those extensions REMOVED all mootools scripts from that page. Those three actually worked together, because of one had custom version of JQuery (with different name), another was in non-conflict mode and third one using default mode. Adding ANY component/module/plugin using either Mootools or JQuery into that page will break it. In that case it happened to be Kunena 1.6. If it had been Kunena 1.5 (JQuery) it would have been as broken as K1.6.

Above issues were the reason why we moved to Mootools 1.2 in the first place. Nine months ago it looked like Joomla 1.6 would be out in a few months and soon after that Joomla team decided to put MT1.2 into J1.5, too. So we had only two options: either to use Mootools 1.2 or stay in JQuery. Using MT1.1 was not an option -- it was outdated and didn't work in Joomla 1.6. And there is no point of maintaining two different versions from the same code.

So no, Kunena 1.6 will not officially support Mootools 1.1 or JQuery. That doesn't stop you guys from making a template that uses either of them.. Kunena isn't hard coded to use Mootools -- it's all in the template.
More
13 years 7 months ago #177 by cclubb
Kunena 1.6 RC3 w/any template
Joomla 1.5.2
JomSocial 1.8.8

I am having a problem where the "Boardcode" section is not displaying any options. It displays only the emoticons, but clicking on the emoticons does not place any code in the message box -- so they are in essence not working either.

I have tried all installed templates including the default template and have the same problem.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I have attempted to use the search feature here, but it just goes to a blank white screen.

Attached is a screen shot of my problem.

Attachments:
More
13 years 7 months ago #178 by xillibit

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #179 by cclubb

xillibit wrote: Hello,

do you have read this thread : www.kunena.com/forum/159-k-16-common-que...argeshrink-dont-work ?

Yes I did. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. I have disabled every single module, plugin, etc. I have tried the default template for both kunena, joomla and jomsocial. Nothing I does, changes this issue ...

Here is my configuration settings:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 2M

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.0-RC3 | Build: 3539 | Version name: Jadili | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Installed (Version : 1.5.9) | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Installed (Version : 1.8.7) | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Enabled (Version : 1.6.0-RC2) | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

There is literally hundreds of people with this problem .. I don't understand, can't you guys just make an alternate version for the boardcode and attachments section?

Ps. I will pay someone to fix my problem for me. Because I have literally tried everything to no avail.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by cclubb.
More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #180 by sozzled

cclubb wrote: There is literally hundreds of people with this problem .. I don't understand, can't you guys just make an alternate version for the boardcode and attachments section?

I truth, there are actually less than 20 people who have reported this particular problem although, I will concede, there are potentially many users who could be affected by the approach taken in Kunena 1.6 (and with the Blue Eagle template in particular) to use Mootools 1.2.4.

The problems are not caused by Kunena nor do they have their roots in the decisions taken by the Kunena project team to adopt the Mootools 1.2.4 standard. The causes have always been well-documented and acknowledged within the Joomla community that there are many Joomla extensions that ship with their own Javascript libraries or that rely on legacy code that is unworkable in today's standard Joomla environment. These issues will become more starkly apparent when Joomla 1.6 is established.

I have attended, first-hand, to several cases where users have reported "I've lost my BBcode toolbar". In every case that I have dealt with, every single one, the fault lay in the Joomla site template. Uninstalling the template and using a standard Joomla template (like rhuk_milkyway or JA_Purity) worked. There are thousands of Joomla templates that work; there are also many templates that don't.

It's not the templates themselves that are the cause; when you get right down to it, a template is nothing more than a CSS file (maybe a few images), an XML file, and a bit of PHP to generate the HTML. The template isn't the problem: it's the Javascript-modifying behaviours that might come with it.

If in doubt: test K 1.6 with your current site template (use a test site) before you upgrade your live site to Kunena.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds