Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Question about shortening kunena page urls

More
12 years 7 months ago #1 by MisterAegir
Hey all,

I know about Joomla having the SEO option for your pages for your site, yet I was wondering how much you can customise this.

The standard link to our Kunena main page is this:

/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=listcat&Itemid=112

Yet what I'd like to know is would it be possible to shorten that to say (for example)

/forums

For the main forum page, and then for the specific areas (eg. using category 1 for the forums) have:

/forums=listcat&catid=1&Itemid=112

Which would replace:

/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=listcat&catid=1&Itemid=112

If something that extreme isn't possible, does anyone know of a way to shorten them from what they are as standard? Just as they seem to be quite long links as they stand!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #2 by Matias
You should really enable SEF from Joomla as it does just what you mentioned -- just better.

Currently it adds category name and topic title into the url, though, and there's no configuration setting to leave it out. But this is very good feature request.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3 by MisterAegir
Yeah, I do like that the current SEF joomla provides is quite nice, yet it was the customisation I was interested in.

Do you happen to know if things like some of the joomla plugins for SEF that you can download would work with Kunena or is it something you haven't really looked into yet?

More
12 years 7 months ago #4 by Matias
SEF is handled inside Kunena so it's possible to remove the titles (category/topic) and it's actually pretty easy. SEF components may (or may not) cause some issues with Kunena, depending on their implementation. Because of that I did some documentation for those who create SEF plugins, but I'm not sure if they have seen it. :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #5 by MisterAegir
Yeah, after a fair bit of jiggery pokery I've managed to get the neatest format, which is now:

index.php/forums/[category name]/[thread name]

removing the index.php is a different issue with using the Apache mod_rewrite I already know about, yet it's nice to know you can clean things up pretty well. That's from having:

Kunena
Search Engine Friendly URLs: yes
Do Not Use Category IDs: yes

Site
Search Engine Friendly URLs: yes

The only thing I can think of to perhaps clean it a touch further is when you have "Reply Numbering Inside Topic" set to "Show Position in Topic" the direct link will still use the exact post number rather than the number from the topic.

More
12 years 7 months ago #6 by Matias
FYI: You cannot remove thread ID, as it would kill the performance (full text search on every page load). I was thinking of adding option to put it into end (2.0 or later), though..

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds