Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged User registration and/or general login issues

More
12 years 9 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #1 by tinyb
I have searched the forums and cant seem to find a similar topic that answers my question.

This is a real newbie question. I have got the Kunena Forum working a treat but have one small question which has me puzzled. There seems to be no where to allow users to register. If there is I cant seem to find a place in the configuration of the forum.

Is there a special Module that I need to let users login/register on the Forum.

Apologies if I have posted in a the wrong forum.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Subject changed to improve search relevance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
Thank you for a very good question. I think we have answered this question several hundred times, but I am going to sticky this post in the hope that other might read it and learn more about what they need to do.

tinyb wrote:

I have got the Kunena Forum working a treat but have one small question which has me puzzled. There seems to be no where to allow users to register.

Out-of-the-box, Kunena works without you having to do anything at all. If you don't make any changes to the initial default settings, K 1.6 allows users to login to post messages on the forum and to register with your site assuming that you have allowed users to register at your site.

However, we need to make one point absolutely clear:

Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login

I think I have written that statement over one hundred times. Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login. These are standard Joomla features or they may be assisted by other Joomla extensions that you have installed (e.g. JomSocial or Community Builder).

You can change whether you allow users to register. This is done (in Joomla) with the setting
Global Configuration » System » User Settings » Allow User Registration = Yes / No

You can provide your users with a place to login (in Kunena) with the forum setting:
Forum Configuration » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration

For those who are new to Joomla, and who want to get a head-start building websites, I strongly recommend that you buy or borrow one of the following books:
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. Although this book is a little dated, the general principles are similar.
I own these books, they're excellent value and I know they will answer all your questions for a long time to come!

A couple of other points that people should know about:

Kunena is not responsible for
  • sending out "confirm this message" emails when people register
  • the format or details of "confirm this message" emails when people register
  • making sure that people actually use the forum
  • making sure that all the user's registration details are correct or checking that the user has a valid email address; or
  • the Global Financial Crisis of 2007 or the Fukishima nuclear power plant disaster ... just in case you were wondering
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jiminimonka.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhuynh, bensonlaw

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #3 by joopyjoops
I'm brand new (day one) to Kunena, and excitedly building my forum website.

Just wondering if it is possible to add extra fields to the user registration page? I'd like to collect data like Suburb, Year of Birth, Gender, etc - so i can get a better picture of who my users are. Is it possible to add this? Or is there some way of integrating my login in the forums with joomla?

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by joopyjoops.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
G'day, joopyjoops, and welcome to Kunena.

I direct your attention to the message I wrote earlier in this topic (which I have merged yours into). Although it is possible to add additional fields to the Kunena user profile, Kunena may not be the most suitable means for you to obtain the kind of data you want to collect. Besides, it's not easy adding extra fields to the Kunena user table (in the database) and you may find another product (e.g. Community Builder) more suitable for your purposes.

To add additional data items into the Kunena users table requires a lot of work and this is currently beyond the scope of the standard product. However, this is something that the developers are considering for a future version.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensonlaw

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by tinyb
Thanks again for answering my question.

Your help is greatly appreciated and has pointed me in the right direction.

MB Tinyb

More
12 years 9 months ago #6 by knollo
Hi!

I want to add several users to an invite only (closed) board. But i can just add them as "Moderator", what i do not want to do. The user should just have read and write permissions in the selected board. So, is there a possibility to do this?

I'm using Kunena 1.6.3.

Ty in advance.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled
G'day, knollo, and welcome to Kunena.

Please read How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? which is one of the most frequently asked (and answered) questions here. These kinds of "how do I register users to use Kunena" questions are asked so often, that's why we added the question to the FAQ referenced at the top of this page. :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #8 by Rakkety Tam
Hello.
I'm new to Kunena, and having problems. The link that allows new people to register is not there. Help would very much be appreciated.
Here's a link to the site: mattcarner.com/forum Thanks in advance!

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled
G'day, Rakkety Tam, and welcome to Kunena.

Please read what I wrote in msg #2 in this topic about one of the most frequently asked (and answered) questions here. These kinds of "how do I register users to use Kunena" questions are asked so often, that's why we added the question to the FAQ referenced at the top of this page: see How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?

It is my guess that you have disabled user registration in your Global Configuration.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 8 months ago #10 by Rakkety Tam
Global configuration isn't in the control panel... am I missing something, or looking in the wrong place? :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds