Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Profile Edit Button, Username Link, Goes Nowhere

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #11 by thetoast
i can view you forums now...

i like your second user "asdf" :P
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by thetoast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #12 by JayShoe
OK, I cleared the cache. Then tried to disable the sh404sef. I still get the 404 error. The issue is not whether you can see the forum when sh404sef is on, but off. I'm leaving it on because it doesn't work when it is off... But the main issue is that the profile edit button isn't working. And I'm trying to turn off sh404sef because I was told to check Kenuna when it is off... But Kenuna doesn't work at all when the sh404sef is off.

More
12 years 11 months ago #13 by JayShoe
OK, so I've had no luck... I'm now wondering if I just want to fix it by adding a social component such as JomSocial, Community Builder, or AlphaUserPoints. What is this site using? What would you recommend I try? I'm thinking this would work because apparently the kunena profiles aren't working on my site.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #14 by sozzled
I recommend that you try Joomla 1.5.23 with nothing else (and I really mean nothing else) and K 1.6.4 and nothing else and then make sure that those two things work together. If these two things work then you have the satisfaction of knowing that you didn't need to add anything else.

After you have proven that you can run Kunena on your site, without anything else, you can then start adding other Joomla extensions checking, after you install each one that you add, that your profile edit button/username link functions continue to work. At some point you may find something that you have added that causes the problem. That's the scientific approach and that's the approach I would recommend.

The whole question really boils down to this: What is the most important thing that I need out of my website? When you answer that question you halfway there to having your website up-and-running and meeting your business objectives. When you identify the most important thing that you need for your site, that's the part of your site that you need to focus most of your attention. All the other things are merely distractions, side issues or cosmetic additives. It's the substance of your site that is important, not whether it ranks #1 on Google or has shiny widgets that dance whenever you move your mouse over them.

Please read K 1.6 Installation Guide and, in especially, look at Which came first? The template or the forum? which might explain why many people have problems like yours. :)
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 11 months ago #15 by JayShoe
Hello,

I installed a test site to give your suggestion a whirl. As I presumed, the site works just fine. I exported and imported all of the old site's content over to the new site. I'm slowly setting it up to look exactly like the old site, without some of the bells and whistles that are probably causing my troubles.

That being said, after I configure this new site to be ready for launch (without the bells and whistles). Do you think that I'll have serious search engine problems considering I wouldn't have sh404sef??? I'm sad to get rid of that software but I'm happy at the same time because I've had lots of issues with it before for other reasons as well.

How can I 303 redirect my existing site's pages to the new site after it's ready for launch? It seems almost impossible but must happen from time to time on people's sites...

More
12 years 11 months ago #16 by JayShoe
HOLD THE PHONE...

I'm sorry to report but as I went back to my test site, I realized that the forum has broken just like it did earlier in this discussion.

Let me just say, This is a brand new install, with nothing but the template, forum, and some content installed.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 64M

Joomla default template details : JJTemplate1.3.0 | author: jukeboxjockey.com | version: 1.3.0 | creationdate: April2011

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.3 | creationdate: 2011-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.3 | Build: 4344 | Version name: Parlare | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

It broke when I turned on Search Engine Friendly URLs in the Joomla configuration. When I turn that back off it works again.

More
12 years 11 months ago #17 by thetoast

sozzled wrote: I recommend that you try Joomla 1.5.23 with nothing else (and I really mean nothing else) and K 1.6.4 and nothing else and then make sure that those two things work together. If these two things work then you have the satisfaction of knowing that you didn't need to add anything else.

From your config report i can see you are still using K1.6.3

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #18 by JayShoe
Hello,

I updated the version to the latest version and I still have issues when I turn on Search Engine Friendly URLs.

EDIT: To define "issues". I get the red 404 error.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by JayShoe.

More
12 years 11 months ago #19 by JayShoe
It's strange because I get this on the index page:
www.jukeboxjockey.com/testsite2/index.ph...w=listcat&Itemid=168

But then when I click into a category on the forum it shows this:
www.jukeboxjockey.com/testsite2/forum/2-welcome-mat

It's only on that second page that I get a 404 error.

More
12 years 11 months ago #20 by sozzled
The reason that the target of the menu item resolves differently is because of the way that you setup Jooomla SEO.

I'll let you into a little secret. Every time I build a new Joomla website (and I've lost count of the number of times I have done that), the very first thing that I do after I have installed Joomla - before I've done anything else - is that I setup Joomla SEO. The very first thing that I do is go to the Global Configuration and click two radio buttons and then I rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess and then I go to the front page of my website to make sure it's properly working.

If you setup Joomla SEO as the first thing, all the menu links that you create after that will be generated in the right way.

Now, as far as your K 1.6 configuration report is concerned, we have a problem and I will need to discuss it with the Kunena project team. The problem is that the configuration report bases some information on your domain name and not on a folder lying beneath that domain name. If your site "root" (of your test site) is a folder of your domain name then we only see the "parent" domain, not the "subdomain". This problem is easily overcome if you setup your test site folder as a subdomain ... but that's overcomplicating matters on your side. We need to find a way to report the actual root that shows your website. Don't worry if you don't follow what I've just written; I'm thinking aloud so that others in the project team might understand the problem we've got.

In conclusion, most 404 errors occur because of mismanaged SEO and/or improperly targeted menu items.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds