Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Inconsistent Login Behaviour

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #11 by sozzled
I'm sorry. Like Matias, I cannot reproduce this problem on any of my sites using K 1.6 and CB 1.2.3 (or with the standard Joomla login module, either). If this were a genuine defect (I'm not dismissing it as such), I think we would have received a flood of responses to this question of yours but, as it only seems to be affecting your website, I don't understand what's happening here.

For example, we can't reproduce your problem at Kunena.com, can we?

Can you please explain why you need to be running with Legacy mode? Please see important information about Legacy mode . This could be what is getting in the way of your website functioning properly. Let's eliminate this as a cause, OK? :)
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #12 by AndyInSpain
Hi Sozzled.

Many thanks for your reply.

I need Legacy mode enabled because we have one, fairly important component (namely this one) for which there is no native J1.5. version yet.

However, over the weekend I will try turning Legacy mode off and see what difference it makes.

I will let you know. Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Andy.

More
13 years 7 months ago #13 by AndyInSpain
Hi Sozzled,

I believe I may have uncovered a clue as to the cause of the problem...I have no idea what it means though. :laugh:

Ok...I uninstalled everything at Science File which needed legacy mode enabled: components, modules, plugins (there were no 1.0 templates).

Then I disabled legacy mode.

Then....everything on the site worked fine....except Kunena. See below for the screen one gets when trying to access the forums index. It's the Kunena menu plus an error message which usually means there's a 1.0 component (etc.) which requires legacy mode. Which there isn't.

How weird is this? And what could it mean?
Attachments:

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #14 by sozzled

AndyInSpain wrote: I disabled legacy mode ... everything on the site worked fine except Kunena. [There is] an error message which usually means there's a 1.0 component (etc.) which requires legacy mode.

That's correct. "Direct access not allowed" usually indicates the presence of J! 1.0 legacy mode software on the same page as your Kunena web page; that's probably what is interfering with your login, too.

There's a very easy way to find out if you have J! 1.0 legacy software running on a J! 1.5 website. It's not 100% foolproof but it's reliable enough for our purposes:

Go to Extensions » Install / Uninstall

You will see that 6 sub-functions you can choose from:
  • Install
  • Components
  • Modules
  • Plugins
  • Languages
  • Templates
Click, one by one, each of the items I've bolded above. Browse the listed items and look for any items that have a red X in the compatibility column. For example, see the following image (the red X is shown against the ObjectClarity Kunena Discussbot plugin):

If you find any items like these, disable them; better still, uninstall them. I would say that you missed one or two. See if what I have suggested makes a difference. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #15 by AndyInSpain
Hi Sozzled,

That's exactly what I had done. I went through every list many times, just to make sure, and as of now there are no red crosses in the Compatibility column. But still I get that error when I try to access Kunena - all other site components etc. are fine.

Cheers

Andy.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by AndyInSpain.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #16 by sozzled
There is something on your website that has old J! 1.0 code in it and I really think you should find out what it is.

If all the other component pages on your website render clearly when you run your site natively, except for the page displaying Kunena, what module(s) are you displaying on your Kunena page that causes the "no direct access allowed" error to display?

I spent a few moments (half-an-hour or thereabouts) checking what components I could see on your site against J! 1.5 native compatibility but I had to conclude that you are in a much better position to look at this thing than me. However, if you're unable to find what's causing this problem I could look at it for you if you would like. I would, however, need administrator access to your site.

The general approach to tackling these compatibility mode issues is to use the checklist method I've referred to above. As I said, it's not totally bullet-proof. What we're actually looking for is a .php file that has the following line in it:
Code:
defined('_VALID_MOS') or die('Direct Access to this location is not allowed.');
This was the old J! 1.0 mechanism; it changes in J! 1.5 to
Code:
defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );
So the only other method, apart from looking at every .php file on the system to find this legacy code, is to disable every extension that runs on the same webpage at Kunena to see which one stops causing the "Direct Access to this location is not allowed." error. Then you've found your legacy extension even though it wasn't listed as an incompatible one.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 6 months ago #17 by AndyInSpain
Thanks Sozzled...time to get the fine toothcomb out. You've been very helpful. I shall let you know the results: it will be useful for other Kunena users who might be in the same situation.

Thanks again

Andy.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #18 by xillibit
Do you have still the issue ?
Any changes with Kunena 1.6RC3 ?
What sef system do you using ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by xillibit.

More
13 years 6 months ago #19 by AndyInSpain
Hi xillibit,

Many thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:

Yes, we still have the issue after upgrading to 1.6RC3. No change at all.

We use Joomla 1.5's built-in SEF.

Two of us, independently, have now been through the php of every single component,plugin, module and template which we have installed, and are 100% certain that none of them are trying to run in legacy mode. We are both professional programmers so we are well used to searching for issues like this. We have even patched the three UDDEIM modules which normally report they are running in legacy mode, even though they are not, so that they are ticked in the "Compatibility" column. But no difference. Kunena remains our only component to error when legacy mode is switched off.

As such, we are now completely out of ideas. And worse, it appears we have another problem which has been suggested could be some problem with Legacy mode - namely, the "Global Settings" section in users' profiles is not there (i.e. the section where users can change their timezone etc.)

If you have any ideas, we'd absolutely love to hear them. If you can spare the time, you can use the login below to have a look at the site from an admin perspective. A fresh pair of eyes might be a good thing. As long as you promise, if you see an immediate and easy solution which we should have spotted before bothering you, not to yell at us too much!! :)

Kind regards, many thanks and good luck!

Andy.

This message contains confidential information

More
13 years 6 months ago #20 by sozzled
I spent about 45 minutes looking at your website. I hope you won't be too offended if I make a comment that I found it difficult to see what could be enabled/disabled because there was a lot of clutter - old modules and plugins that have been disabled but that are still installed.

In order to attend to the Legacy mode issues, I've taken a copy of your website and I'm going to perform some tests in my own webspace environment. I'm fairly confident that we'll eventually find the componet/module/plugin that's interfering with Legacy mode. This, to me, is the number one problem.

The second problem is the Kunena menu. Your menu should be re-created. That's something else that I'll look at, too. It will take me a few days working on your issues (in my own test lab) whenever the opportunities present themselves. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet and start again - create a fresh site, copy the Joomla user tables and Kunena tables across, and go from there.

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds