Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Loved how to show selected categories of forum

More
13 years 9 months ago #11 by Cerberus
There is NO solution for what you are trying to do currentlky with ANY forum component that i have come accross unless exstensive work is done to the code of that forum to make ths behaviour happen and to be very honest this would be way to much work than it is worth in my opinion BUT maybe if you pay a freelancer they could do it for you, you wont however find anyone here that will do this kind of HACK for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #12 by sozzled
rimple wrote:

Can you [advise] what other [forum] component I can use with Kunena, so that I can have ... [two menu items] i.e. [one that links to an] "Announcements" [category] ... and [the other that links to the broader] "Message Board"

I have rephrased your question a little differently. Basically, your questions are totally concerned with how you would like to set up your Joomla menu.

Part of our problem is understanding why you (or anyone) would want two, totally separate, forums running on the one website. So, let's look at the reason you might possibly want to do this.

If your "Announcements" area (births, deaths, marriages, classified advertisements, etc.) is only for placing notices by you then there are other alternatives to using a forum. But, even if this "announcements" area is merely for posting notices and not (as I suspect) for discussions, there are still other ways of doing this that don't involve Kunena. There are other components in the Joomla Extension Directory that handle "listings".

But, even if you want your users to post their own "announcements" topics and you also want broader discussions to take place, there's another way to help your users find where they can do these things. When you get right down to it, that's all that a menu does: helps your users find where they can get in touch with the services that your site provides for them. B)

So, let's look at your requirement in a slightly different way. You want to show your users that they can post "announcements" and you also want to show that your site also has a general "message board". One, very easy and highly effective way you can do this is to use Kunena, as you have already set it up right now, with one section for "announcements" and another section (or sections) relating to other matters ... but, if you asked me to implement the solution, I would definitely not create two, discrete and separate, menu items. I would create, instead, one menu item and I would label it "Announcements and Message Board".

I would make one menu item "Announcements and Message Board" and I would link it to my Kunena forum. When my users arrived at my Kunena forum they would see the different sections (one for "announcements" and the other(s) for more general messages) and use them accordingly. If my users had trouble deciding where to post their messages, I would provide them with other help. I would write descriptions in the categories or create "sticky" posts, just like we do here at Kunena.com.

It's really not such a big deal: Kunena can do everything you want. Perhaps, if you look at what you're trying to achieve in a different way, you will see that there are other, simple and non-technical solutions that are just as effective as the one that you're trying to implement. I hope that my suggestion solves your problem. I really don't think the solution lies in worrying about how to create two separate Joomla menu items or worrying how to resolve the hyperlinks. :)
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds