Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to protect my forum from spam

More
12 years 1 week ago #291 by Rezaaul
Very useful thread, thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #292 by Helfgott
Replied by Helfgott on topic I've got spammed :/
Forget it by the moment :p i've installed a captcha in the registration for Joomla to see if this stop, isn't fault of Kunena.
Last edit: 12 years 6 days ago by Helfgott.

More
12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #293 by carlbeck
Replied by carlbeck on topic CAPTCHA don't work
I am getting SPAM in my Kunena Forum. I turned on CAPTCHA but it don't work. Can someone help on this?
Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by carlbeck. Reason: typo

More
12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #294 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: CAPTCHA don't work
The statement "CAPTCHA don't work" could mean many things. If you are saying that you've properly setup Kunena to use reCAPTCHA but you are still getting spam, then there could be a variety of causes. The question you have to deal with is how people may using your site to post spam.

So, let's start with that. Your forum configuration report may provide you (as well as us) a few clues.

Did you read Using CAPTCHA spam protection in Kunena ?

Do you allow guests to post on your forum? We receive the occasional spam posting here at www.kunena.org , too, even with CAPTCHA enabled. You would have noticed that you had to respond to the CAPTCHA challenge, yourself, for the first few messages you posted on the forum at this site. According to any commentary that you may read on the 'net, CAPTCHA is not a proven guarantee to eradicate the possibility of spam. As I have written many times in this topic,

The only effective remedy against spam is vigilance.

Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #295 by da8iwr
I have had a good look around the documents and the forums and i can't see anything about it (Might be me being blind :blush:) but i have signed up to www.stopforumspam.com and entered the API code to the configuration and just wandered what it does?

Thanks for any help :)
Ian
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by da8iwr.

More
11 years 9 months ago #296 by sozzled
Good question. I don't know the answer and I don't know if anyone has written any documentation. Maybe someone should write some documentation when they have the time?
The following user(s) said Thank You: da8iwr

More
11 years 9 months ago #297 by coder4life
It is a SPAM prevention tool. It is a central database for user accounts that have been flagged as SPAM/BANNED accounts. If one site registers a SPAM/BANNED account for Kunena or another web service, all Kunena installations could be protected from the same SPAM/BANNED account.

Kunena does not recommend or endorse the use of the StopForumSpam API. JoomlaWorks donated the code to help administrators with SPAM issues. It is up to you to register for the service and accept their Terms and Conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled, da8iwr

More
11 years 9 months ago #298 by da8iwr
Yes i understand it holds a database of known spam emails and usernames... but I don't know how Kunena either uses that database, or adds to that it.

For example i have a forum that has been hit by spam accounts, and i would love it to check all the users against that list, and automatically delete or unpublish the accounts which are in the StopForumSpam database... or does it check that list when a user signs up?

It sounds like it could be an amazing tool, and very useful, but at the moment is useless and a real shame to be ignored.

More
11 years 9 months ago #299 by Matias
Currently the implementation is somewhat limited, only sending spam reports to them. I hope that we will have time to improve on it and probably move the implementation to a plugin.

More
11 years 9 months ago #300 by da8iwr
Ahh so if i mark a post as spam, the system fires that users details to StopForumSpam?

Yes it would be a great plugin, separated out... but i also appreciate that it is voluntary work and a huge undertaking :)

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds