Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged Is it possible to set up Kunena as a help desk / job ticketing system?

More
13 years 10 months ago #11 by sozzled
The short answer is no; this is not the purpose that Kunena was designed for. Kunena was intended to be used as a general forum where users can help other users. It was not designed to provide users with independent communication channels between themselves and a panel of experts and that those discussions would remain confidential between those parties.

Kunena doesn't always adapt to every business case that you can imagine. For the exceptions you should consider using a niche product (such as helpdesk software or job-ticketing software) to handle your specific needs.

While it is possible to restrict access to various Kunena categories (and it's possible to do this for individuals or for groups of users) there really isn't a satisfactory solution to this particular case as far as Kunena is concerned. If you want to provide the opportunity for users to be able to freely discuss their issues, then use Kunena. If you don't want your users to see what each other is asking the "panel of experts" then implement something else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #12 by TBK
I'm my case, I would use it to allow guild members a way to complaint about fellow members and activities.

It will require a "hack" for the code handling the rendering, checking if your userid matched the the userid of the thread owner or matches the admin_access group of the category the thread was posted.

More
13 years 10 months ago #13 by sozzled
TBK wrote:

I'm my case, I would use it to allow guild members a way to complain about fellow members and activities.

Use the "report to moderator" feature. Those kinds of issues should be taken off-line from the forum, anyway.

More
11 years 7 months ago #14 by IMightBluff
Replied by IMightBluff on topic Private Support Forums
Hello,

I used to use vBulletin for my website. The forum software was great, but the whole system sucked for CMS and general websites. And Joomla is amazing. I also downloaded this Kunena Forum template and the customization capabilities are pretty impressive.

I was wondering if I would be able to use Kunena as sort of like private support forums. So in VB i had a main forum and i was able to create a new category and hide it from the main menu. Than just add the url for the category and it was separate. Is this possible to do?

Also if possible to make it so that only users that open the thread + super admins can view and reply to the threads. So if user A makes a thread only User A can view his own threads and reply to them. Not sure if this is possible with Kunena.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #15 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Private Support Forums
It's possible to do this but I don't have a specific answer for you. True support forums, where a user poses a problem to a panel of experts and waits for a reply or waits for an expert to work directly with them to resolve the problem, usually rely on "job ticketing" systems. In other words, a user requests a support activity, the activity is assigned a reference tag and an expert is then allocated to resolve the issue or escalate the problem to a different part of the support organisation.

Kunena is not a job ticketing system. Kunena is a web-based discussion forum component for Joomla. Kunena may be adaptable to meet this requirement. This is an interesting topic and it will be useful to hear from other members of the community how they have gone about using Kunena to meet this need.

IMightBluff wrote: [Is it] possible to make it so that only users that open the [topic] + super admins can view and reply to the [topics]? So if user A makes a [topic] only sser A can view his own [topics] and reply to them.

Not with the current version of Kunena, no, this is not possible. And, for your information, if possible, we try avoid the confusing term "thread" here.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #16 by IMightBluff
I know that it is not meant to be a ticket system. I just wanted different medians for my customers to get support.

Is it possible to just create a new category with 3 topics and hide it from the main forums? So that I could just link the URL to the catagory and all the sections would open up when users click on Support Forums instead of live chat or Ticket Support.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #17 by sozzled

IMightBluff wrote: Is it possible to just create a new category with 3 topics and hide it from the main forums?

Yes, this is easy. :)

IMightBluff wrote: I could just link the URL to the category and all the sections would open up when users click on Support Forums instead of live chat or Ticket Support./quote]That's a hypothesis that you need to put to the test. :dry:

Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #18 by IMightBluff
go on donkquity.com

I made a category called Support & than a sub section called test123

In the main forums it appears & When you click on the support tab it appears there as well. So im 1/2 done. I just do not know how to make it disappear from the main forum tab.

More
11 years 7 months ago #19 by sozzled

IMightBluff wrote: I just do not know how to make it disappear from the main forum tab.

To answer the question you need to ask yourself "under what conditions should this disappear?" If it is a permissions-related condition then change the permissions of the category so that only certain people can access it. Does that help?

I assume that, because the topic is about "private support forums", this is a discussion about permissions. Do you know how to work permissions in Joomla?

More
11 years 7 months ago #20 by IMightBluff
I want it to work like the regular forums, I just don't want the section to appear on the main forums.

Can you give me a straight up answer of how to do this?

Time to create page: 0.629 seconds