Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged Kunena and SEO: Why would I need ANY third-party SEF plugin?

More
11 years 1 month ago #41 by dang ky nhan hieu
Replied by dang ky nhan hieu on topic K 2.0.2: SEF URLs
Hi everybody?

I'm making a forum with kunena componet but i have a trouble

I can not make a friendly url?

I use joomla 1.5; Sh404sef: 1.0.20 and kunena 2.0.2

My demo online in: Trademark in america

Thank and looking for !

Brgs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #42 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic K 2.0.2: SEF URLs
dang ky nhan hieu: K 2.0.2 is not supported. Because you have used the K 2.0 Support (reporting defects) category to report an issue with a version of Kunena that is not supported, this topic has been moved. The answer to how to make your site use Joomla SEF URLs is found by reading the article Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) in the Wiki.

Questions about using old versions of sh404SEF the latest versions of Kunena should be addressed to the developers of sh404SEF.

Before you use this "support" category in future, please take the time to read the important information posted about how the category should be used and what important information you should provide if you think there is a problem with the current and supported version of Kunena. Thank you.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #43 by donkey12
Hi All,
We're in the process of migrating our Joomla 1.5.26 account to 2.5 .
The SEF extension we've been using as proven to be time-consuming and difficult to configure and run properly.
Could you please let us know what's the best SEF option for Kunena 2.0.4?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by donkey12.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #44 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

G'day, donkey12. I hope you do not mind that I merged your question into a very old topic that I started nearly 4 years ago but I had a similar question to yours. Basically, it's important for people to understand why it's even necessary to look at 3rd party SEF options for Joomla and what they can do for you.

To start off, I think it's important to outline the case for why people look for 3rd-party SEO/SEF options when Jooomla does a pretty good job without needing anything extra. Further, adding extra, so-called "improvements" often turn out to be far more trouble than they're worth (as this topic will help you to understand). I don't know anyone who uses anything extra. I am not saying that no-one uses third-party SEO products, like sh404SEF for example, but I do not have any acquaintance of someone who uses these products on a daily basis or who uses these things with Kunena. Evidently, tools like sh404SEF fulfil some purpose but I don't understand the need that exists in people's minds as to how tools like these help with running a website running Kunena.

Can you help us understand what it is the you're looking for with a third-party extension that is not already provided for in Joomla, please? Perhaps,then, other people - who have more knowledge of such things - can advise you better than me.

I recommend using native Joomla SEO. :)
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #45 by donkey12

I recommend using native Joomla SEO

Hi sozzled,
Thank you for your reply and for merging the topic.
Unfortunately as a beginner my experience with SEF extensions has been one of a roller-coaster so far.
They have been a time consuming and painful exercise to configure, run and upgrade with little evidence to suggest that they improve my Google raking.
With the continued developments of Joomla and Kunena, I was wondering if these SEF extensions were becoming a bit less vital for the running of a site. You answer seems to confirm that view.
I'm delighted to read that Joomla Core SEF is recommended by Kunena.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by donkey12.

More
11 years 1 month ago #46 by Josh
The core SEF is pretty good. It's not 100% pretty but is almost exactly what I want it. Here's a demo of mine using the core SEF:
www.alpineascent.com/forum/1-general/67-suggestion

There's the domain, alpineascent.com then there is /forum which is the menu item which will always be required (until Joomla steps away from menu items if they ever do). Then /1general is the name of the id of the forum and it's name. Then there is /suggestions which is the forum post id along with it's name.

I personally don't mind the ID in the topic name because somewhere along the line duplicate names will show up. But I do wish the forum category didn't display it's ID. But this is a drop in the bucket with no need for a SEF component.

While I like the idea of SEF components, there are a few issues that arise:

1. If it's commercial you gotta keep paying every year. It's good to pay developers but only if you have the means of paying. I'm currently not in a position to pay beyond my hosting bill right now.

2. Compatibility: Some SEF extensions only upgrade to the long term releases of Joomla creating a restriction for what you can use. Some didn't even make the jump from Joomla 1.5. So watch for signs of them improving. Kunena has long since passed this test with me. :cheer:

3. Site Speed: I've heard folks say SEF's can slow down your site. Perhaps this isn't as existent anymore, but at the very least it's something to be mindful of. Almost any component at least slightly slows down your site when you install it and have it activated... at least that's been my experience.

Here's the list of SEF extensions:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/sef

Seems like only the top 3 extensions in the list will do what you expect. MijoSEF seems like the most promising. (and not just because they are #1 rated)

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds