Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved Notification emails dont work right!

More
10 years 5 months ago #11 by eJuiceVaporz

sozzled wrote:

eJuiceVaporz wrote: it says : From Me <[email protected]>

That's exactly the information I needed to know.

The subject of this topic is "Notification emails dont work right!". What you have told us is that notification emails work correctly, that is, email is sent from the correct address. The problem is not that K 3.0.3 is not working (or that there's something the Kunena team needs to do to fix your problem. Your problem lies in how you filter incoming email so that it's deposited in a place where you can better "find" it. In other words, your problem is how you categorise incoming mail based on where its sent from. The point is that you've confirms that Kunena mail is sent from where it's supposed to be sent from.

Some email client software allows you to define rules for putting email into different folders depending on certain conditions. For example, you put email from a certain [sender's] address into a specific folder so that you can find it more easily. You could also define a rule that puts messages with keywords in your incoming mail (e.g. some text in the message subject) and put it into a certain inbox category, too. These features are dependent on the email client software - the program that you use on your computer - and not all email programs have these advanced features. I don't use Mozilla Thunderbird so I can't tell you how to configure that program for you. I use Microsoft Outlook and defining rules for how to handle incoming mail is done differently. Different programs have different mail filtering/sorting/categorising methods. Choosing an email program that has mail filtering features is something each person can decide for themselves.

In effect, there is no problem here for the Kunena developers to deal with. The issue is a matter for you to resolve with the choice of email program that you want to use to sort/filter/categorise your incoming mail. Thunderbird may (or may not) have the features you need. Microsoft Outlook may be overkill - I'm not endorsing Microsoft's products (I choose to use it like I choose to use Firefox as my browser or Windows 7/8 as my operating system). It's "freedom of choice". Just like the choice of which mobile phone you use to make your phone calls and help you organise your "life".

Now that we've established that Kunena works properly, the way it was designed, that email is being sent from your forum - sending email from the forum@domainname address - it's up to you to decide what you do with the mail when it arrives in your inbox.

Therefore, I am moving this topic from the K 3.0 General Questions category and placing it our Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla category. Other people may want to contribute their own thoughts on the best choice of email client software that might suit your purposes better.

The solution is

1) Use an email program that allows you to define rules for handling incoming mail; and

2) Based on the sender's address (assuming your email client allows you to automatically place incoming mail into a separate folder using that address) define a rule that moves incoming messages into a "special" folder for Kunena-related mail.

I think that answers your questions.

I am sorry to say but i fail to see that it is my email client's fault that kunena sends out notifications to my info mail.

So if i understand you right you are saying that i need to tell my email client to redirect the email notifications kunena sends to my info mail so my mail client redirects info mails to forum mails.
So kunena cant send notification mails to my forum mail account.

Your method works with the rule system.
But still the mail should not be sent to my info account in the first place. Kunena should send the notifications to where i wish it should be send to. But anyways thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #12 by sozzled

eJuiceVaporz wrote: But still the mail should not be sent to my info account in the first place. Kunena should send the notifications to where i wish it should be send to. But anyways thanks for the help.

This is not possible given the limitations of Joomla and (to some extent) Kunena.

Kunena uses Joomla to send mail . What this means, in effect, is that for each Joomla account registered on your website, there is an email address. Let's say you have two accounts on your site:

(1) Account #1 with the email address info@domainname; and
(2) Account #2 with the email address shop@domainname.

This means that any time there are emails that need to be sent to account #1 they will go to info@domainname and emails that are intended to go to account #2 will go to shop@domainname.

I suppose it would be "nice" to have one account with two different email addresses and then tell you site "any time you have something that relates to my 'info' stuff then send it to my 'info' address but, any time you have something that is 'shop'-related then send it to a different email address". But as you can see, if you look at your Joomla user profile, there's only one email address.

Some Joomla components - Kunena is a Joomla component - allow for different "sending" addresses. Let's say, for argument's sake, that your Joomla global (site-wide) emails are sent from 'address1@domainname'; some Joomla components allow you to send email from a different address (e.g. 'address2@domainname'). Kunena is like that.

In your case, you have defined Kunena to send mail from forum@domainname. No problem there. But where, you may ask, is the email sent to? The email is sent to the address nominated in each registered account on your Joomla site.

If you've followed this thus far, in your case, the account that you're using to receive email every time a new message is posted on your forum has the address info@domainname. Therefore, when you wrote "the mail should not be sent to my info account in the first place", this is exactly as you have defined things to work. If you want the mail to go somewhere else, you need to define a different email address in your Joomla account (and I'm not sure if that's what you want).

So what I have suggested you do, when email arrives in the info@domainname is to separate that mail from other "info" stuff and put it into a different folder that you keep for "forum" stuff. You can do this with an intelligent email client program that allows you to define rules for categorising incoming mail.

As I wrote one or two times earlier in this topic, there is nothing broken in Kunena at your website. The solution is in your hands as to how you deal with your incoming email. Alternatively you could set up several accounts on your site (one account for "info" stuff and another account for "forum" stuff) but then you'll run into other hurdles (e.g. if your "info" stuff account is used as your system administator account then you will still receive email from Kunena in that account) and I don't think it's really worth the hassle.

At www.kunena.org we have multiple administrators' accounts and even more moderators' accounts. With the number of people managing a busy forum, like this one, we don't bother to send emails every time a new message is posted. There are also alternatives - to visiting your site on a routine/frequent basis - if you want to be kept informed whenever people post something on your site. You could, for example, use RSS feeds and direct the data to an RSS client application on your computer.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eJuiceVaporz

More
10 years 5 months ago #13 by eJuiceVaporz
ok thanks for the explanation. I made a rule to forward all incoming forum mails back to forum mail account but sadly i get them twice now as both shop and info forwards the mails making it two of the same mails in forum account but i'll fiddle around with it until i only get one mail.

I misunderstood the whole mail thingy and took the power of technology for granted xD

Now i have just noticed that i have been outsmarted by my smartphone in the sense that i have to make the rules in the email client on the android phone if i can manage to figure that out.

Thanks again for the help.

Btw i was wondering the template you guys are using in this forum where can i get hold of it ? if i may ask here or should i make a new thread for that ?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #14 by sozzled
Your three new questions:

1) I don't think it's a good idea to double-handle email (i.e. on-forward mail from one account to another account); most email clients have folders where you can put similarly-related matter: e.g. all the stuff from you bank manager in one folder, email notices of unpaid parking fines in another folder (or the trash can), email from your significant other in your "I must attend to this right now" folder, etc., etc. In my opinion, I don't feel it's always necessary to have different email addresses for different sources of mail; folders are usually quite adequate. That's just my personal opinion, of course.

2) There are some smartphone email apps that allow you to categorise mail (i.e. sort mail into different folders) but the sorting is usually a manual process. I have not yet found a smartphone email app that has the power or versatility of Microsoft Outlook (again, that's just my personal opinion/observation). If you find an email client for a smartphone that can automagically sort incoming mail for you, please let me know. I would love to find one myself.

3) The Kunena forum template on this site here is the same K 3.0.3 Blue Eagle template that is shipped with K 3.0.3. There are no hacks or special customisations done to it (but there are a couple of very minor CSS tweaks made to the Joomla site template that is used here. Yes, as you quite rightly concluded, this is a separate topic.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eJuiceVaporz

More
10 years 5 months ago #15 by eJuiceVaporz
Ok thanks again i will ask the guys on XDA for the mobile mail app's.
I am already looking the template forums now :) but i wanna make it look like this forum so i'll just try and use "Inspect Element" to see if i can copy.

I shall leave you alone now xD and again thanks for all you help.

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds