Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Site migration from J! 1.5 to J! 2,5

More
10 years 11 months ago #1 by Oscarfishlover
I am planning on a migration from Joomla! 1.5 up to Joomla! 2.5 soon. I've done it many times before, but this will be the first time I've done it with a website that has an active forum installed. Because it's my Oscar fish website that is very busy most of the time, you can understand that I am very anxious that things run smoothly. What I am planning on doing is building the whole website on a subdomain and them when it's completely finished, I will simply move it into its rightful place. However, things are obviously not going to happen overnight, in fact there may be a month in between me moving the site onto the subdomain to build, and then moving it onto its proper domain. Obviously when it's moved finally, the forum is going to need updating as there will be more users and posts. What's the easiest way of updating the forum? Is it as simple as downloading the appropriate tables that contain users etc?

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

the best way is to close your actual forum couple, which let you time transfer your data on your site, like that you don't need to touch the database tables.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #3 by Oscarfishlover
I am in the midst migrating my 1.5 website to 2.5 and will be constructing the site on a subdomain. When I've finished, I will move it onto its proper domain. However, by the time I do this quite a few more messages and posts will have been made, and possibly more people will have joined the forum. Can someone tell me which tables I have to export to bring things up to date on the forum?

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Oscarfishlover.

More
10 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled

More
10 years 11 months ago #5 by Oscarfishlover

xillibit wrote: Hello,

the best way is to close your actual forum couple, which let you time transfer your data on your site, like that you don't need to touch the database tables.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "close your actual forum couple." I am just in the middle of restoring the 1.5 website to a subdomain where I can assemble it and make sure everything is working, then I will use akeeba to move the site to its proper domain. Now my users should all be migrated to the 2.5 website shouldn't they? Could I just take the kunena tables and drop them into the new website when I am ready to go live, this way everything will still be up-to-date.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6 by sozzled
I think what xillibit means is

(1) Do the migration (using jUpgrade) on your current website. "Close your forum" means to stop people posting messages while you are in the process of doing the migration.

(2) jUpgrade will produce tables on your J! 1.5 website, in a sub-folder, that you can then copy to your J! 2.5 website

(3) After creating the J! 2.5 tables, you can copy the tables to your J! 2.5 site.

Does this help explain things better?
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #7 by Oscarfishlover
As you know I am migrating one of my websites that has you mean the forum installed. Today, I ran jupgrade, back to the site up and put it onto a subdomain using a new database. Now both sets of tables are installed, both the new j25 tables, plus the old jos tables. So all I did was install kunena, and obviously saw the tables and asked me if I wanted to reinstall kunena which I obviously said yes. Everything is fine, the only thing that is missing are some avatars, this is because I will manually upload some of the folders containing images. So unless I'm missing something, once the website is ready, all I need to do is back it up using akeeba and drop it onto its proper domain, no need to start exporting or importing databases.

To go back to what you have just said, I think you are right. I'm going to experiment and build the website on the subdomain. Once I have got it looking exactly as I want it, I've made all the new headings etc, I will then create another subdomain, close the forum to any new entries and members and move the new 2.5 website onto the new subdomain, and then onto its domain. However I wonder if this will work? Run jupgrade on the 1.5 website, then download it, wipe the 1.5 Joomla! files of the domain, install the new 2.5 website making sure I use the existing database. This way, both sets of tables will exist on the same database, the old jos, and the new j25. Then when I reinstalled kunena everything will be there, there won't even be any need to reapply permissions. Then I this remove the old database tables. Like I said, unless I'm missing something I got confused, I can't see how this won't work. After all, just done it, but not quite the same way.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
10 years 11 months ago #8 by sozzled
If my memory serves me right (and my memory is fairly reliable), one or other of the two links I gave in msg #4 includes details of what you will need to copy from one site to another.

Basically there are four parts to your forum:

(1) Kunena database tables;
(2) Kunena folders containing the media uploaded by the users in the form of message attachments;
(3) Joomla (user) database tables; and
(4) any other files uploaded by you or your users that have enhanced the forum experience (e.g. forum avatar images)

In addition to these basic parts, there may also be other software that you may have employed that, in some way, integrates with Kunena. These things can include social networking components, like JomSocial or Community Builder, or private message software or even other plugins or modules specially written for Kunena.

The basic process starts by having your J! 1.5 website in "tip tip" condition. Having a proper inventory of what your using and knowing where all the files and data tables reside, is the key to knowing what you need to copy after you have migrated your J! 1.5 site to J! 2.5.

The easiest way to migrate from J! 1.5 to J! 2.5 is to run jUpgrade. jUpgrade creates a [J! 2.5] "sub-domain" for you. It's really difficult to properly explain everything in minute point-by-point detail, here in this forum, because each migration situation is different. I've only tried to cover a handful of possible scenarios.

You are right: experimentation is the best solution. Good luck, mate :)

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #9 by Oscarfishlover
I used jupgrade, akeeba, and kickstart to upgrade Oscarfishlover.com to a 2.5 Joomla! version, then put the website onto a subdomain and reinstall kunena. I didn't export any tables from my old database. As you can see by the link below, the website and forum in particular is working properly, the only thing missing are the avatars, this is because I haven't reinstalled jomsocial.

www.penn.wheelchairanglingandhamradio.co...ndex.php/forum/index

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
10 years 11 months ago #10 by sozzled

Oscarfishlover wrote: ... website and forum in particular is working properly, the only thing missing are the avatars, this is because I haven't reinstalled jomsocial.

Avatar disappeared after uninstalling JomSocial relates to this.

Great news. Can we mark this topic as resolved?

Time to create page: 0.354 seconds