Kunena 5.2 RC 1 Released (25 Oct 2020)

The Kunena team is thrilled to announce the first public release candidate of Kunena 5.2, a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9. This is a development release and should be only be used for testing; this version is not recommended for live websites at this stage.

The purpose of this release is to encourage testing by downloading, installing and identifying any problems or shortcomings that people may discover. K 5.2.0 RC1 is stable and we are aware that people will discover defects. We encourage you to use the forum to report defects, as soon as they are discovered, so that the development team can work through the problems before the release of K 5.1 as a stable product. Reporting defects does not mean that the problems can or will be fixed. The Kunena team is looking forward to hearing your feedback on how well we have achieved our design goals.

× This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved J! 2.5.7 + K 2.0.2 + shape5_vertex template -> cookie problems

More
8 years 3 days ago #11 by WhatNoWebsite
Hi

The error in question is only happening now and again and we have no idea how many users it is affecting as they will simply think the site is broken.

Once we switched off SEF the cookies dropped down to something like 4 (curiously the same as your site) and the errors stopped.

If you like, pay a visit to internetspain.net. It's using the identical template but no Kunena and I noticed that this also was generating a lot of cookies.

I've got my head in my hands on this one because it appears from looking at internetspain.net that Joomla 2.5 works fine as I have used it on other sites but with this template and/or Kunena it causes a load of cookies to be generated.

Something I am considering is injecting some PHP into the debug area to clear all cookies from the local machine on exit.

How would this affect Kunena though, would the user still see unread topics etc...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 days ago - 8 years 3 days ago #12 by sozzled
Can you please tell us what tool(s) you are using to see these errors; in particular, I want to know how to see

Bad Request - Your browser sent a request that the server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit
Cookie

How do I see the number of cookies created by this website? Is this a problem? This website uses cookies (most Joomla websites use cookies in one form or another) and that's where the [Kunena] forum/user preferences are stored. I'm not sure whether PHP can generate cookies - PHP, after all, is server-side scripting whereas cookies are client-side. Therefore the most likely way of introducing cookies on the client site has to come via the HTTP PUT (in other words, via HTML - possibly with the assistance of Javascript). PHP (that runs on the server) merely obtains information passed to it via the HTTP GET request but I can't understand how PHP writes cookies back on the client. My technical knowledge of PHP doesn't extend that far. :D

I really think we need to know how you're able to measure the number of cookies written and what conditions are required to generate the "Bad Request".

The error code is not specific to Kunena as my search of Google revealed >>> here <<<

From what I've read, the issues could be caused by corrupted cookies in your browser. One possible solution is to look at support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cook...lug=Deleting+cookies
Last edit: 8 years 3 days ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 3 days ago #13 by WhatNoWebsite
HI

To see how many cookies are generated there are a number of add-ons available for Firefox or you can inject PHP code into the footer of the template that displays them.

PHP can generate both client and server side cookies.

The BAD REQUEST is a real difficult one to replicate and the only way we have managed to do it is by turning on SEF & Mod Rewrite and hitting as many pages as possible on the forum, eventually it occurs. (not very scientific but works).

I think what we'll have to do is copy the website to another domain, turn it off in global config and test there.

I'll PM you with a login if you like...

More
7 years 11 months ago #14 by oldfart
Some humble pie ....
we have found what is causing the problem. You were quite correct - the template. We found the fix here
_https://www.shape5.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,75/topic,21079.msg83472/#msg83472

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #15 by sozzled
I seem to recall writing

sozzled wrote: We have received many reports (not good ones) about Shape5 templates.

I think we can chalk this one up as another one of those.

This is why it's critical, when we're doing problem analysis, to eliminate all these extraneous factors and, in keeping with the principles of the When all else fails, try this approach, to use test on a clean Joomla site with nothing else added; especially not a third-party template.

I am pleased your problem has been resolved. :)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
7 years 11 months ago #16 by WhatNoWebsite
We are also.

Thanks for your patience...

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds