Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Unable to see the Forum in Joomla front page

More
12 years 1 month ago #11 by mitchell65
Thank you for for so nicely pointing out my personal inadequacies, tis a pity you can't use some of your expertise to answer a simple question which was "So can I conclude that there is no Beginners Guide to Setting up and using Kunena?" It case you don't understand that it means the DOCUMENTATION!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #12 by Jiminimonka
I am not pointing out any inadequacies, I am simply saying that your issue is not Kunena related. Neither would I describe myself as an expert, far from it.

There is a wiki that will help people that understand how Joomla works to get Kunena running, and it includes a Beginners Guide, which you would find if you looked at the Documentation page.

docs.kunena.org/index.php/Main_Page
docs.kunena.org/index.php/Beginners

Hope that helps.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #13 by GoremanX

mitchell65 wrote: what a mess, so untidy and confusing, I can't see any of my users being able to understand it at all.

It's worth pointing out that this very site uses the latest version of Kunena in its default configuration. No changes have been made. This site stands as an active example of what Kunena is. Yet you seem to have no problem using this site. If it did not look the same way on your own site, then something was either misconfigured or broken.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #14 by sozzled

mitchell65 wrote: So can I conclude that there is no Beginners Guide to Setting up and using Kunena?

No there are many guides in the documentation Wiki .

First of all, if you have never used Kunena before, I recommend that you start with a test site with a "vanilla", unmodified version of Joomla on it and that you read K 1.6 and K 1.7 Installation Guide . Without making any changes to Kunena, your newly installed forum will work immediately without having to make any changes to it.

The next thing that you may want to do is to understand about Sections, categories and sub-categories . You may want to know something more about how to assign moderators , perhaps?

Actually using the forum - as a normal user would like to use it - is covered at a superficial level in A basic forum help page for beginners .

Apart from these "highlights" of my quick tour around Kunena, there is of course the forum itself and the many sources of information that people can search for. Everything else is pretty much "standard Joomla".

There is one part of Joomla that is really difficult to understand. That's the part that deals with Joomla menus. Although this topic has undergone several interesting digressions - how much time people may need to spend, asking about the existence and location of "beginner's help guides", etc - the fact remains that I don't think we've adequately answered the original question properly.

mitchell65 wrote:

I can put a Kunena menu item into the main menu and that works but the Kunena menu does not work.

I think it's very important that we try to address this question. If mitchell65 would like some personal attention on the matter, please PM me and we'll see what we can work out. Does that seem reasonable? I think we can probably resolve this matter in 5 minutes' time.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 month ago #15 by mitchell65
I think it is time for me to eat a huge chunk of "Humble Pie" :blush: :blush: :blush:
I apologise, sincerely for kneejerking so badly over this. My frustration was thinking that the Kunena Menu was a Joomla Menu like "Main Menu". I have never before used an extension that had it's own internal menu. I am very familiar with the Joomla menu system in fact I have just sent another Joomla user a step by step guide to creating and using a "Hidden" menu!
Suddenly this morning the "Penny Dropped" I just published the "Forum" menu item that had been created and set it to Registered Users, signed in and of course there was the Forum menu item that led me to the Sample Forum. I have had such success since that I am in the process of editing the various CSS files to create a color system for the Forum that matches the rest of my site.
What can I say, I really am embarrassed about this and would ask those I might have offended to forgive me. If I say any more this post will loose it's sincerity, so thanks to all for your patience and particularly to "sozzled" for his kind offer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #16 by sozzled
No problem. I'm pleased to hear that you sorted everything out to your satisfaction.

One very minor correction to something you wrote:

was thinking that the Kunena Menu was a Joomla Menu like "Main Menu". I have never before used an extension that had it's own internal menu.

Actually, the Kunena menu is a Joomla menu. The idea is that the Kunena menu should be displayed in a module position that works best with the forum template but, if you want, you can display the menu in any template module position that you like. The place where the Kunena menu is normally displayed is in the module position kunena_menu - a special module position created by the Blue Eagle template (which is the default template included in the Kunena installation kit). So, the Kunena menu is (for most all intents and purposes) an ordinary no-frills Joomla menu except that it employs a couple of advanced Joomla features; in one way, it's sort of "internal" to the component but in other ways, it's not. It's difficult to explain.

Good luck with the rest of your customising. Just remember to make your changes simple ones and read the FAQs page (see the Kunena menu above) for handy hints that will keep your blood pressure in check. :lol:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 month ago #17 by Jiminimonka
I am happy to read that you got it all sorted. In the past (not too distant either) I had similar problems and eventually, with the help of Sozzled and the Kunena team, got it working.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #18 by mitchell65
Thank you both, Sozzled and Jiminimonka for your understanding. Point taken on the menu basis> I see exactly what you mean. I am quite happy in creating additional module postions to he joomla Template that I am using for the current project so I might well use this facility!
Thanks again!

EDIT:

I am quite happy in creating additional module postions to he joomla Template that I am using for the current project so I might well use this facility!

Have just done that and have to say it works perfectly!!
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by mitchell65. Reason: added text

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds