Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to move, copy or merge my old Kunena forums from one site to another

More
12 years 8 months ago #21 by Matias
Migrating users from one site to another which already has users is one of the hardest tasks I've tried to do. We do it in Kunena Forum Importer and it has been very painful and hard task to do and it has taken almost 2 years to get a working solution, which manages to bind users into one.

The bad thing is that migration like this needs to support all components where data gets moved as the user IDs change.

When I have time, I want to add Kunena into our migration, so you can migrate both users and Kunena from one site to new site. Please make feature request here and vote for it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #22 by karaokeamerica

Matias wrote: Migrating users from one site to another which already has users is one of the hardest tasks I've tried to do. We do it in Kunena Forum Importer and it has been very painful and hard task to do and it has taken almost 2 years to get a working solution, which manages to bind users into one.

The bad thing is that migration like this needs to support all components where data gets moved as the user IDs change.

When I have time, I want to add Kunena into our migration, so you can migrate both users and Kunena from one site to new site. Please make feature request here and vote for it!

I have never heard of "Kunena Forum Importer". I looked here:

www.kunena.org/component/beeheard/?view=categories&layout=list

and couldn't find this extension in any of the sub-categories. Did I just miss it?
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by karaokeamerica.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #23 by sozzled
The Kunena Importer has not been written, yet. To be more exact, it is not yet available for public release. The purpose of the Kunena Importer is to convert other forum software that you may be running on your website to Kunena. There are issues for Kunena Importer where standalone forums have their own user databases that must be converted to Joomla.

Matias was illustrating an extension of the issues he has been involved with in developing Kunena Importer and comparing some of the matters we have discussed in this topic with the difficulties he is having with Kunena Importer. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kunena Importer doesn't exist at this time and the functionality to perform the task of merging two, disparate Kunena environments into one has not been included into the design of Kunena Importer at this stage. If this feature were to be included in Kunena Importer it would only be done if there was support for the idea and it would not be done until after Kunena Importer is released to do the job it was designed for. I think Matias was trying to say that, if people would some "product" written to perform the forum merger tasks discussed in this topic, they should use the Feedback link on this site to suggest and vote for that idea.

In what way specifically, did Matias' Feedback link not "work" for you? :dry:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 8 months ago #24 by karaokeamerica

sozzled wrote: The Kunena Importer has not been written, yet. To be more exact, it is not yet available for public release. The purpose of the Kunena Importer is to convert other forum software that you may be running on your website to Kunena. There are issues for Kunena Importer where standalone forums have their own user databases that must be converted to Joomla.

Matias was illustrating an extension of the issues he has been involved with in developing Kunena Importer and comparing some of the matters we have discussed in this topic with the difficulties he is having with Kunena Importer. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kunena Importer doesn't exist at this time and the functionality to perform the task of merging two, disparate Kunena environments into one has not been included into the design of Kunena Importer at this stage. If this feature were to be included in Kunena Importer it would only be done if there was support for the idea and it would not be done until after Kunena Importer is released to do the job it was designed for. I think Matias was trying to say that, if people would some "product" written to perform the forum merger tasks discussed in this topic, they should use the Feedback link on this site to suggest and vote for that idea.

In what way specifically, did Matias' Feedback link not "work" for you? :dry:

I fixed my post. The link itself not working was my fault....:)

What I don't see is a way to leave feedback for THIS idea we have been discussing because it doesn't exist to leave feedback for. I have the ability to create a new suggestion. Is that the route he is suggesting?

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #25 by sozzled
*** Off-topic ***

Questions asked in last post answered by PM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karaokeamerica

More
12 years 8 months ago #26 by jstcynske
Replied by jstcynske on topic Migration
Looking to take users from a current forum, and add them to a new one, what needs to be done?
Thanks

More
12 years 8 months ago #27 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Migration
G'day, jstcynske, and welcome to Kunena.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I'm not sure if you're talking about the technicalities involved in moving the users from a website that may or may not even be Joomla-based and moving them (and the messages they've posted) to a site where you're running Kunena or whether we're talking about the same version of Kunena running on two different sites. The technicalities involved in each case will differ.

However, if you're asking about the fundamental concern, which is to wind-down and close one website, and continue operations on another website, I can offer you my own opinion as to how you might go about doing that ... if that is your question.

The issue basically boils down to putting a notice on one website that says "On <insert-date-here> this website will be closed down and our new operations will resume on <insert-URL-of-new-website-here>. We invite all of our members to join our new website." After that, those who are interesting in making the move will move and you can forget about the others because they weren't really interested in the long-term relationship anyway. I've covered this kind of situation in I want to migrate my forum to Kunena ...

The technicalities involved in moving a forum (whether it's an old Kunena forum or not) and merging it into another site are quite complicated. The issues involved in this process are discussed in Migrate my forum and, to be completely honest with you, this is non-trivial. If you are really sure that this is the approach you want to take, and the quality of what you're about to close down is worth the cost of preserving in a new environment, then I would still advise people not to try to undertake this job themselves but to give the job to a professional.

I'm sorry if this doesn't go into the specifics that you might have wanted when you asked your question but you asked a very general question and I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution that applies in every case.

I hope this helps you in the difficult choices that lie ahead for you and I wish you the best of luck.

More
12 years 8 months ago #28 by karthickkumarganesh
Hi,

I had two website running with two different version of joomla and kunena.

My old site -> joomla 1.5 & Kunena 1.5

My New site-> joomla1.6 & Kunena 1.6.x

now i want to transfer all data regarding kunena forum from my old site to new one ,how can i do this without any data lose.

Please advice.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #29 by sozzled
G'day, karthickkumarganesh, and welcome to Kunena.

Please read this topic and also read my comments in Migration . All the advice that you are looking for is in these places.

More
12 years 8 months ago #30 by leadoverlove
HI,

I can't believe that this can be that hard. I've exported the kunena databse tables from my old website and imported them into the new website but when i install the kunena component it doesnt give me the option to migrate, the onlt option is to press the install button which installs a new forum and the one that i have imported.

I must be missing something here, what am I doing wrong?

Is there another installation file somewhere that helps me to migrate the forum?

PLEASE HELP!! My hosting provider is trying to charge me a fortune to do this, and i know i can do it myself if someone can just explain how.

Kind Regards

Andrew Kennedy

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds