Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Link to Image, Link to webpage - increase character limit

More
13 years 10 months ago #11 by Fjody
It is really an annoying problem with the short weblinks. I often get messages from my users that it is not possible to insert links correctly and they are not working.

I would change the smile.class.php file, but I suppose the problem will be back after upgrading Kunena. I already have a lot of various adjustments and changes in the Kunena files and every time I upgrade, I have to find these files and change them again.

That's why I think that such matter as the "weblink length" should be solved in the Kunena backend, not by changing .php file.

Have a nice day.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #12 by SalientKnight
Is there a way to edit the inserted text? lets say to filter it?

-=SalientKnight=-

More
13 years 10 months ago #13 by Cerberus
Fjody wrote:

It is really an annoying problem with the short weblinks. I often get messages from my users that it is not possible to insert links correctly and they are not working.

I would change the smile.class.php file, but I suppose the problem will be back after upgrading Kunena. I already have a lot of various adjustments and changes in the Kunena files and every time I upgrade, I have to find these files and change them again.

That's why I think that such matter as the "weblink length" should be solved in the Kunena backend, not by changing .php file.

Have a nice day.

Peter

how long are your link cause this one shown below is very long and works just fine

very long link

the link is for this topic and if you click the word above it work flawlessly and the code for it is below.
Code:
[url=http://www.kunena.com/forum/144-hacks-tricks-and-tips/38919-link-to-image-link-to-webpage-increase-character-limit?limit=10&start=10#49876]very long link[/url]

so i presonaly dont see an issue with way kunena handles long urls i have a feeling this is just a user error with your users not using the correct BBcode for link and just pasting the raw link.

More
13 years 10 months ago #14 by Fjody
Hi Cerberus,

it's definitely not an user problem, but a Kunena problem. Your link works fine, probably because the 'smile.class.php' has been already adjusted for this forum.

I will give you an example from my Discussion Forum: It also shortens my own links (and I am the Administrator and using the BB code)

hxxx://xxx.8characte.rs/xx/21characters-xxxxxxxx/24characters-xxxxxxxxxxx/43characters-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is always shortened to

hxxx://xxx.8characte.rs/xx/21characters-xxxxxxxx/24characters-xxxxxxxxxxx/27characters-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have counted the characters and it's allways shortened to 100 chars max.

More
13 years 10 months ago #15 by sozzled
Cerberus' approach to tackling this issue is quite practical.

However, the issue is problematical. I know, as a user here at www.kunena.com , that I often encounter problems when I use the link insertion tool and only part of a link I have copied is pasted. Personally, I don't quite understand the need for the "maxlength=" restriction at all!

I think that Fjody's observations are valid and we should take note of them. Something for the K 1.6 design "melting pot", I think :)

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #16 by Cerberus
what version of kunena are you using ????

What template are you using for kunena ????

what version of joomla are you using ????

what joomla template are you using ????

cause the one here at k.com is completely unmodified so no it has not been altered here.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Cerberus.

More
13 years 10 months ago #17 by Fjody
To Cerberus:

Joomla 1.5.18
Joomla Template: Siteground 15.68
Kunena 1.5.11
Kunena Template: Fenris Dark Grey

More
13 years 10 months ago #18 by sozzled
I don't believe this is a template issue because the code that's responsible for controlling the maximum length of what you can copy/paste with the link insertion tool ( ) is common to all templates: ../components/com_kunena/template/default/smile.class.php

The problem lies within the design of Kunena and the restriction that was imposed years ago that no-one has really paid much attention to. It's not a show-stopper. If you know a little bit about how to post messages in forums that use BBcode then you shouldn't have too many problems. This limitation can be irritating, it can be source of complaint among your users, but I agree, it it should be fixed better than by having to hack PHP code.

More
13 years 10 months ago #19 by Cerberus
sozzled wrote:

I don't believe this is a template issue because the code that's responsible for controlling the maximum length of what you can copy/paste with the link insertion tool (

) is common to all templates: ../components/com_kunena/template/default/smile.class.php

The problem lies within the design of Kunena and the restriction that was imposed years ago that no-one has really paid much attention to. It's not a show-stopper. If you know a little bit about how to post messages in forums that use BBcode then you shouldn't have too many problems. This limitation can be irritating, it can be source of complaint among your users, but I agree, it it should be fixed better than by having to hack PHP code.

yes soozled but i was working on fact that it works flawlessly here at K.com and does not work on users site so the error must be with users site and not kunena.

i have a feeling that either they are NOT using the link insert BBcode and pasting raw links or something in his template is conflicting and causing the error.

More
13 years 10 months ago #20 by sozzled
No, it doesn't work "flawlessly" here at Kunena.com. When you use the link insertion tool, copy/paste a URL into the textbox, press the Insert button, the link is truncated (to around 100 characters). This limitation is set in : ../components/com_kunena/template/default/smile.class.php

This file (at this site) is the same file that's included in the installation kits that users download. I think the restriction is unnecessary - you should be able to post any size URL link - but that is just my opinion. I've asked the question of Matias and we'll see what we can do about it. :)

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds