Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Fixed Subject in Reply

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #1 by DarkSlash
I wanted that users couldn't change the subject when they reply a thread... and I found a way... you have to edir fb_write.html, find the input tag for the title, and change to this:
Code:
<td> <?php if($resubject == '') { ?> <input type = "text" class = "<?php echo $boardclass; ?>inputbox postinput" name = "subject" size = "35" maxlength = "<?php echo $fbConfig->maxsubject;?>" value = "<?php echo $resubject;?>" /> <?php } else { ?> <input type = "hidden" class = "inputbox" name = "subject" size = "35" maxlength = "<?php echo $fbConfig->maxsubject;?>" value = "<?php echo $resubject;?>" /><?php echo $resubject; ?> <?php } ?> </td>

And that's it. Every time a user replies a topic, the subject will be: "Re: Subject".

I tried to post this here www.kunena.com/forum/97-solved--common-q...bject-in-reply#12753 but the thread is closed :(

EDIT: I corrected the code
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by DarkSlash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Looks like you've answered your own question . :)

So, here's a question for you: what if your users want to slightly change or clarify the discussion topic? :S
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3 by DarkSlash
Haha ye I tried by myself and I found the awnser.

It's an option... some people like that and someother don't... I'm on the second group! If you want to clarify the subject just don't replace any code! :D

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
I look at these discussion forums, requests to modify the standard Kunena product one way and requests to change it another way, and (without judging the validity or the merit of those requests) I see whether there's something useful that I can contribute. It may appear that I'm involved in everything but, I assure you, I choose my topics with care. Sometimes a topic, such as this one, comes along and a discussion on the merit of finding a solution is, perhaps, more important than the technical solution itself.

The most important question that comes to mind, whenever I'm faced with issues like these, is "Who am I doing this for?" In other words, if I make this change, how will it improve my website and create greater opportunities for my users to engage with one another? If you design your changes thinking only of your needs, and not the needs of your users, the consequences will become self-evident very quickly! ;)

Making cosmetic changes - when you change colour, or "texture", for example - can greatly improve the market appeal of your website. They'll get people "in the door" - if you forgive my bluntness. Once you've got people inside you need to make them feel comfortable with their surroundings; they have to feel they can contribute (when they want to) and they shouldn't be coerced into specific behaviour, or constrained by programmatically-enforced rules, just because it suits the whims of the web designer on the day. If you develop a rigid, inflexible approach to managing (and moderating) your users' discussions they'll start to feel that their contributions aren't worth making the effort.

Obviously, then, when you look at the "problem" of preventing your users from changing the subject, what is the purpose in doing that? How often is it a problem ... or is it merely a question of misunderstanding? If you want them to not change the subject, let them use the button.

When you change a program's behaviour, when you change the way that the program's designers had intended for it to work merely to satisfy a personal whim, think of the unintentional consequences your actions may have. :unsure:

I have deliberately used this discussion as an example to illustrate:
  1. The usefulness of allowing your users to change the discussion topic; and
  2. Understanding what's your purpose is more important than trying to fix every problem known to humankind with a technical solution! Sometimes it's better to leave room in your project design for people to satisfy themselves in their own haphazard manner.
There are often much easier and better solutions to your problems than wasting time worrying about SMOPs (small matters of programming). B)

I hope you'll forgive my (somewhat) jaundiced view on these matters. My criticisms are certainly not directed at you or anyone personally. :)
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 9 months ago #5 by DarkSlash
I like your oppinion and I thank you the time you invested to awnser me!
I just think that, if you want to clarify, you can do it INSIDE the post. If you change the subject there can be confusions... for example, when you replied me in my inbox I got and email saying that My topic ":But what's the *problem* that you're trying to solve?" was replied... my first though was" I never wrote that" ;)
I thank again your collaboration, I'll have that in my mind not just for this case but for the entire design of my sites :)

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds