Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Forum too wide in IE8

More
14 years 8 months ago #11 by Lintzy
Replied by Lintzy on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
John wrote:

P.s. you guys do a great job on Kunena but if you look at your own forum with compatibility view switched on....how do you find errors in the layout? Our guests sure cant find Compatibility view, or know this will solve the problem, they will just leave a website.

To remove ambiguity: Nobody of the Kunena Team has told, that he looks at Kunena Forum only with compatibility switched on and the Kunena Team did not recommend to switch to compatibility view. Why do you think so, because Sozzled told this? He is a user like you.

The compatibility view switches Internet Explorer 8 to IE 7 and this is no progress but regression.

I will talk with Matias, why the hack was not integrated, perhaps because this hack is not the best solution, I don't know why. It is (imho sure) the IE expanding box problem.

But like 810 wrote, you are using a special version and the designers of it are working on a solution ;)

However, we (Kunena Team) will think about this bug and the possibility to fix it. Thanks for reporting!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12 by John
Replied by John on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
By no means I intended to offend either of you! Just lets call it a small misunderstanding in language on my side.

I do think Kunena is great! But IE8 isn't perfect. We can ignore the flaws in IE8 or work around them. I'm a complete noob in programming so I rely on volunteers like yourself.

For myself, I just want to show a good looking website to the majority of my guests. 76% of my guests use IE, I don't want to bother them with advise on wich browser to use, but thats just me.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13 by Lintzy
John wrote:

By no means I intended to offend either of you!

I did not understand it so, don't worry ;). I only wanted to point, that Kunena Team does not recommend to switch to IE7 (compatibility view), when using Kunena.

English is not my native language, so we both seem to have some complicated understandings :laugh:

One goal of Kunena is the compatibility in most of browsers and we are thankful, when Kunena users are reporting bugs to us. So the goal is also, that it will look good in Internet Explorer 8 ;)
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Lintzy.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #14 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
Lintzy wrote:

I only wanted to point, that Kunena Team does not recommend to switch to IE7 (compatibility view), when using Kunena.ting bugs to us. So the goal is also, that it will look good in Internet Explorer 8

Yeah? I never read that anywhere.

Anyway, I enjoyed having a good rant. Doesn't matter to me, anyway, because I use Firefox these days. All good! :woohoo:
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 8 months ago #15 by severdia
Replied by severdia on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
As previously stated, switching to compatibility mode is a workaround, not a solution for the bug you're referring to. A solution to this and many other issues will eventually come. Want to speed up that process? Well, you can track down the bug yourself and post a solution here. That makes it much easier for our team to test your solution and add it to the next version. Kunena, like Joomla, is a community-driven project. Want Kunena to be better? Help us make it better. :)

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #16 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
Offtopic

Please keep in mind that not all of us are native in English. Some words commonly used in small talk and slangs may have very different meanings if you have to look them from a dictionary.

This is what my dictionary tells me:

rant

Runt Runt, n. [Written also rant.] [Scot. runt an old cow,
an old, withered woman, a hardened stem or stalk, the trunk
of a tree; cf. D. rund a bullock, an ox or cow, G. rind. Cf.
Rother, a.]

[...]

3. A dwarf; also, a mean, despicable, boorish person; -- used
opprobriously.
[1913 Webster]

I felt that I was missing something, so I went and asked severdia what rant means:

It's not an insult.... The modern usage of rant is very far away from historical usages...

"runt" would be used to describe a small person or animal... Like when a dog gives birth to puppies, there might be one that's smaller and weaker than the others.. that's the runt

sozzled's rant (long complaining) on the previous page of that thread is what he was talking about:
"I'm glad I was able to complain or yell about something and I feel better now that it's out of my head..."

Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Matias. Reason: typo

More
14 years 8 months ago #17 by severdia
Replied by severdia on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
Yes.. just a classic example of how we need to all be careful and respectful of varying levels of English and cultural differences.

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill though, so let's just all keep that in mind. :)

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #18 by sozzled
Wow! :blush: I wish I'd never written my "opinion piece"! Thank you, Matias, for your understanding.

Yes, to rant (a verb) - in common English, simply means to make long, meandering speech (usually complaining about something). People who rant are usually ignored. Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now! :side:
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 8 months ago #19 by John
Replied by John on topic Re:Forum too wide in IE8
Another saying I didn't know...making a mountain out of a molehill....we make elefants out of a fly :cheer:

I'm sorry I cant help with the coding, I don't know anything about CSS. Don't even understand why the piece of code written by Lintzy is not working on the new Kunena version. This code was targeted at IE8 not at Kunena, right??? :blush:

I do try to find some time to promote Kunena now and then on Joomla.org or Dutchjoomla.org just to support this great component.

More
14 years 8 months ago #20 by Lintzy
Hi John,

I had now the time to examine this issue (download of this wide page here and test it with IE8 and so on)

It was a really simple error. Your template (and this template here too) have overwritten the stylesheet instruction.

The code should work now (play with the 700px to fit it into your template)
Code:
/* Fix for Internet Explorer 6*/ #Kunena *html div.msgtext { width:700px; overflow:hidden!important; word-wrap: break-word; } /*Fix for Internet Explorer 8*/ #Kunena div.msgtext { width:/*\**/700px\9; overflow:/*\**/hidden!important\9; word-wrap:/*\**/break-word\9; }

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds