Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Important Avatar doesn't appear

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by Victorius
Hi there,

To begin with, Kunena is a great Joomla component, that is why I chose this to install in my site.

However I encountered a problem I cannot solve, namely, the avatar uploaded doesn't appear.

I have read this thread but didn't find a solution.

www.kunena.com/forum/139-solved-or-prior...it=10&start=30#41175

When I upload the picture, it says file upload was successful, though the avatar doesn't show. I've checked everything in the control panel.

What shall I do?

I use 1.5.9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by stefano
Hi
I post a new message about this here because the other thread is closed now.

The avatar upload and choose avatars from gallery is now working perfect and has propably doing so all time. The problem was to change the permissions to 777 in the right place. I did not realize that the avatar folder was in Joomlas default image folder because i found it on another place in kunena folders (i think it was fb.filedistribution or something like that) and tried to change the permissions there.

So now this is workig fine, i have another problem though, but i will post that one in another thread because it's something total different.
Thanks

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Avatar doesn't appear
While I was investigating the case mentioned above I found many possible reasons about why avatars are not displaying. They include the following:
  • Joomla version
  • Directory and file permissions
  • The known issue with K 1.5.9 - there's an extra { located at line 335 of the file ../components/com_kunena/template/default/plugin/myprofile/myprofile_avatar_upload.php
  • Integration » Use Pictures from: Kunena | Community Builder | JomSocial
  • Joomla template
  • Kunena template
  • Other Joomla extensions
There seems to be no clear-cut single reason why, in some cases, uploaded avatars either do not upload or, when they are uploaded, they do not appear. This fact has been borne out by the number of support questions that have been asked on the subject of avatar errors ever since K 1.5.8 has been released.

Therefore, until the cause(s) of these problems has/have been found, we will probably need to investigate each one individually.

Can you please provide the URL and a test account to demonstrate the problem being discussed in this case?

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by morfina
Replied by morfina on topic Re:Avatar doesn't appear
I reinstalled joomla and kunena (My only component in the site) and the error is the same...

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled
stefano wrote:

I post a new message about this here because the other thread is closed now.

The avatar upload and choose avatars from gallery is now working perfect. The problem was to change the permissions to 777 in the right place.

Thank you, stefano, for your contribution. I assume the "other thread" was the one mentioned above: Avatar not showing .

While it may be a solution to change directory permissions to 777, this is not recommended. It creates a security hole.

In my case I have not experienced the problems that users we are discussing here. I have comfortably been able to use Joomla's recommended directory and file permissions and this has not been a factor in the avatar image upload/display problems involving K 1.5.8 or K 1.5.9. This is not to suggest that, perhaps, changing directory permissions to 777 is not the solution. I just want to warn people that changing directory permissions in this way [to 777] may increase your site's vulnerability to unauthorised access.

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
morfina wrote:

I reinstalled joomla and kunena (My only component in the site) and the error is the same...

Perhaps there's a different common denominator, morfina. Perhaps the cause of your problem lies outside Joomla/Kunena. Perhaps the problem lies with the webhosting platform.

What webserver software is being used?
PHP version?

Can you reproduce these problems on a different webhost? For example, if you were to create a copy of your site on your own PC - using WAMP or XAMPP - are the problems reproduced?

More
14 years 1 month ago #7 by sozzled
Allow me to explain what I have done. On those websites where I use Kunena, some of them use Kunena avatars and some of them use Community Builder avatars. Because of the difficulties encountered by users here I have revisited every one of my websites and carried out a thorough test. This testing has taken me several hours to complete. :side:

In no case have I not been able to upload a new avatar or display it. In no case have I not been able to use one of the sample avatar images.

I have needed to make one small change to the Kunena source.

Which leads us to ponder the question: why am I favoured by the internet gods? :S

I use a recommended Apache webserver, a reputable and reliable webhosting service and I operate within the guidelines established by the Joomla project.

More
14 years 1 month ago #8 by morfina
well these are my webserver configurations:

PHP Built on: Linux azeroth 2.6.18 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 27 13:06:40 EET 2007 i686
Database Version: 4.1.22-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.3
Web Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.8 Production/Stable [ Wohnaiki ] 10-November-2008 23:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6.4; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1)

by the way I wrote you a PM if you have time please see it.

More
14 years 1 month ago #9 by sozzled
Just out of curiosity, morfina, how did you install Joomla 1.5.8? Was this something done via a Fantastico script provided by your webhosting company, for example?

More
14 years 1 month ago #10 by morfina
I installed it normaly I mean the only changes I did ware to make an example page. The other things ware Next > Next > Next

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds