Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Trying to install Kunena - having problems with directory permissions

More
13 years 9 months ago #21 by fxstein
Haveing experienced this now several times myself, I found one root cause for these permissions issues that we shoudl document on the wiki and also report back to the Joomla core team:

#1 issue I have seen for permissions issues are Joomla version upgrades

Yep, going from Joomla 1.5.15 to 1.5.18 based on the documented terminal option with
Code:
tar -xvf upgradefile.tar

will reset the group and owner info on all updated files to invalid group and userids on mosty system. The reason being that tar will cary forward the group and user info from the source system where the tar was created.

On most hosting systems the owner and group should be apache:apache, therefore if you dont run
Code:
chown -R apache:apache *

from the Joomla root, you will run into these permissions issues.

Also - you should never use nor have to use
Code:
chmod 777

Its an insecure work around to another problem.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22 by sozzled

fxstein wrote: ... we should document on the wiki and also report back to the Joomla core team:

Here's what we've said in the Wiki: Securing Kunena . Does anyone have some suggestions on how this advice can be improved?

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #23 by Maszek
Hi Sozzled,

On a different topic (upgrading to 1.6.3.), I granted write permission to all files and folders under com_kunena folder. The upgrade failed, but want to reset the permissions to default again. Regretfully the wiki you refer to does not reveal much. Is there a better source for this (securing Kunena)?

Can I help you guys out doing this for you? I'm not an expert, but I can list and summarize information based on sources provided.

Yours,

Jan
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Maszek.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #24 by sozzled
G'day, Maszek, and thank you. Any help that people can give to improve the quality of information in the Wiki is greatly appreciated. I agree that the current Wiki article Security Kunena lacks finesse (and I'm not sure how to improve on it) but it's a useful starting point.

Not all upgrade failures are due to incorrectly set folder/file permissions; there are also ownership issues involved, too. This topic originally started over a year ago and, at that time, the issues involved K 1.5. These days people are advised to use K 1.6 because the overall security of the product has improved considerably and, further, the original technical requirements article in the Wiki does not even mention file/folder permissions. Because our focus has shifted to K 1.6 we are no longer actively maintaining K 1.5 documentation.

The most important pre-requisites to ensure a smooth installation of Kunena are now contained in K 1.6 Technical Requirements and it's that article that people should look at first.

But if you think you can help, we would love to hear from you. If you have some further ideas about improving the file/folder permissions documentation, you can put them here under this topic.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 2 months ago #25 by Maszek
I'll make some suggestions via PM

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds