Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Trying to install Kunena - having problems with directory permissions

More
14 years 1 month ago #11 by RedElectro
Sorry Sozzled, I thought I had. I did the permissions first before the original zip installation and I got the (I think I posted this in a different thread) white screen:

-1 - An error has occurred.
It was not possible to copy the selected file.

Hence trying the tar version.

If it wasn't on a live site I would've tried manually deleting all the previous folders, but I didn't want to risk losing the forum completely.

Thanks...

Red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #12 by sozzled
RedElectro wrote:

-1 - An error has occurred.
It was not possible to copy the selected file.

That was it? That's' the only information you got? Was there more?

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #13 by RedElectro
No, no more information at all. Just a plain white screen with that text at the top.

That's why I was puzzled as what to do. There's no specific error message, so no obvious course of action to take.

I'm sorry I can't offer any more information, but that's all I get myself.

I did get a couple of specific permission errors before this, so I altered the permissions until I'd done every relevant folder, then I got the white screen and message above.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by RedElectro.

More
14 years 1 month ago #14 by sozzled
There are three likely reasons why a file can't be written.

1. The process doing the writing does not have write permission. In this case, we're talking about the Joomla installation process. If you can't install Kunena you probably can't install anything else, either.

2. The disk is full or you've used all your quota.

3. The disk is write protected or there is a disk hardware error.

In one of your earlier messages you referred to your tmp folder:

RedElectro wrote:

Uploading to Joomla, I got another error saying "Unable to write entry" and then this...

Warning: file_put_contents(/tmp/install_4b8c1cc774255/:K�]�]u��nZ���Ρ���J�����=��d�����w���$��?����K ݄�����hh�t��]d�4�~�cRO(妍) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Is a directory in /****/*****/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 298

You said that you have changed the permissions on all "almost" every file and directory. When you changed the file and directory permissions, did you recurse those directories? What if you were to change the permissions on all directories, including the root?

If this does not work, would you be prepared for me to look at your system - I can't make any guarantees - to see what I can discover? I will require FTP access and super-administrator access to your administrator site. Please do not post those details here in the public forum.

More
14 years 1 month ago #15 by RedElectro
I don't have a problem with giving you access at all, it's very good of you to offer to sort it out.

Are you saying to select all folders and set the perms to 777?

I can try that and if it doesn't work, I'll set you up an account and PM the log in details?

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #16 by sozzled
Thank you. I think your approach is a good one: change all files and directory permissions. I hope that the file permission settings will not take more than an hour - it depends on how many files you have, of course - and you will let us know how you got on. If you are unsuccessful, let us know here and post those details I have requested to me via PM. Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17 by klmklm
I have the same issue, any advice to whihc folder the permission need to change to 777

this is what I get as an error message:

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #18 by sozzled
klmklm wrote:

I have the same issue, any advice to which folder the permission need to change to 777

I don't know which specific folder you need to change. The easiest way is to change all folders. It's not a very scientific approach, but it might work. I'm still waiting to hear back from RedElectro on whether or not he was successful.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 month ago #19 by Matias
Well, this really looks like directory permission issue with Joomla. I believe that you get the same error with every component you're trying to install.

This error comes from Joomla installer, so it's hard to know where the problem may be. Here are a few possibilities on kunena:

components
administrator/components
images

in your site this url: administrator/index.php?option=com_admin&task=sysinfo you have directory permissions: please take a look on it and fix the issues (red directories).

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #20 by richmarks
I ran into the very same issue trying to install several versions of kunena.

The problem is due to permissions. It is related to owner / group of who knows what files.

I solved it by running:
chown -R [Joomla website root]/* <owner>
chgrp -R [Joomla website root]/* <group>

and that cleared up the problem for me on my local machine (Mac OS X).

I previously did a chmod 777 * on the components and administrator/components folders, but that disn't resolve the problem, although the installer was able to create the com_kunena folders.

If you have shell access you can do this but be cautious. It may be that various files & folders have differing owners and group settings. The above 2 commands set EVERYTHING to the same owner and group.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by richmarks.

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds