Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question phpbb3 to Kunena

More
14 years 7 months ago #41 by Krycek
Replied by Krycek on topic Re:phpbb3 to Kunena
Linuus,

You can still try on a fresh install the step by step method with the solution I proposed in case of bad user sync. :D I would also love to have a stable component handling it all though my wish to use Kunena quickly was higher. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #42 by Krycek
All,

In order to migrate from PHPBB3 to Kunena there are 2 solutions :

1- Be patient.
Matias shall, sooner or later, releases his component.

2- Get your hands in mud and DIY !
As I succeeded in with this method, I'm willing to provide it to whomever is impatient as I am. ;) Moreover it would also help me reproducing it, as it is currently performed on an old DB version of mine.

In order to do so, you would need :
  • Access to your DataBase (like PHPMyAdmin),
  • Access to your FTP (like FireFtp),
  • A bit of PHP Knowledge,
  • A common sense of logic.

DIY : Here is the (complete) step by step method to migrate from PHPBB3 to Kunena 1.5.5

My case was on J! 1.5.14 with CB 1.2.1, UddeIM 1.8 and PHPBB 3.0.4 just for interactions purpose. Here we go.

A- like eAsy !
I first used the step by step method that you may find here .

Problem here: users are not synced with Joomla! ie. PHPBB3 user Smith's ID is unlikely the same as his J! ID, even if you used some bridge or Jfusion sync. Here comes the real DIY.

B- like Bring J! IDs
Point now is to modify your database, saying that for each forum post with Smith's PHPBB ID, it has to be replaced by Smith's J! ID. (Easy :) )

I exported the PHPBB3_users and jos_users tables from PHPMyAdmin to excel .csv file. I then mapped their IDs, meaning that I looked at Smith's PHPBB3 ID and his J! ID, put them aside in 2 columns (phpbb3_former_id and jos_final_id). I also removed all PHPBB bots... useless to have them in J!.

Tip: Thousands of users ? Try excel VLOOKUP function matching their usernames!

Once done, save your sheet with the 2 columns only in a .csv file.
Back to PHPMyAdmin, I created a new table, say test_mig_users_id, with 2 fields (phpbb3_former_id and jos_final_id) of INT (numbers). Then I imported the .csv file with the values we want to fill in the table.

We have now PHPBB IDs matching J! IDs in your database. Remains to tell PHPMyAdmin to update Kunena's posts with, by launching 2 SQL queries :

/* Update jos_fb_users table with new ids */
Code:
UPDATE `jos_fb_users`,`test_mig_users_id` SET `jos_fb_users`.`userid`= `test_mig_users_id`.`final_jos_id` WHERE `jos_fb_users`.`userid`=`test_mig_users_id`.`former_phpbb3_id`;
/* Update jos_fb_messages table with new ids */
Code:
UPDATE `jos_fb_messages`,`test_mig_users_id` SET `jos_fb_messages`.`userid`= `test_mig_users_id`.`final_jos_id` WHERE `jos_fb_messages`.`userid`=`test_mig_users_id`.`former_phpbb3_id`;

Your users IDs are synced now ! If Smith log in J! he'll be able to post under his username. However he may be sad to see that its posts count doesn't match its real amount. But it can be corrected :

C- like Count posts !
First update your Kunena 1.0.8 (or previous) to 1.5.5, it is pretty simple : go to J! back-end > Extensions > Install/UnInstall and in the URL field, fill up the .zip package file URL you can find on Kunena's download page.

Note: As stated somewhere in this forum, you DO NOT need to uninstall Kunena 1.0.x before installing 1.5.x !

Once done, you are in the situation where you can edit Kunena's files to tell it recounting users' posts amount. Easy here again, everything's explained here ! Once done, in Kunena's back-end, click on 'Recount Categories' stats', it'll do the trick.

D- like Done !
Here you are with J! 1.5.4 and Kunena 1.5.5. Just get rid of PHPBB !!

If you don't understand (all of part of) the second method of migration, please refer to the first one involving patience on top of this post. ^^
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Krycek.

More
14 years 7 months ago #43 by Linuus
Replied by Linuus on topic Re:phpbb3 to Kunena
Thanks for that DIY! Looks good :)

Any updates from Matias and the component yet? I can do it the dirty way and transfer all my users like in the post above, but if the component is out in the next couple of days I can wait :P If NOT, I will try your DIY :)

(I have just successfully managed to transfer about 3500 articles from my old site to Joomla so I'm a little tired with all the SQL errors and fixes and testing and so on....that's why I'm a bit cranky! :) )

Cheers!

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #44 by Aldo94
Replied by Aldo94 on topic Re:phpbb3 to Kunena
Great news this migration component combined with the temporary external user migrators.

Where can I download the migrator component from Mathias?

thanks
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Aldo94.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #45 by Krycek
Hi Aldo,

Please refer to my message, 3 posts on top : Mathias' component's not available yet. My proposition is DIY if you are not patient egough. ;)
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Krycek.

More
14 years 7 months ago #46 by Linuus
No news from Matias? It's been a while now :P

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #47 by Linuus
Dead project I guess? :(
Too bad... I guess I'll have to keep my old forum locked, for viewing only, and let my old users re-register to my new site.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Linuus.

More
14 years 7 months ago #48 by wingnut144
Replied by wingnut144 on topic Re:phpbb3 to Kunena
Come on now, give the developers a break....I'm sure they're working hard on more important stuff (at the moment) than a converter.....

That doesn't mean its not coming at some point though........

More
14 years 7 months ago #49 by Krycek
Hi Linuus,

I just don't get it : I provided a full working solution... if you really wanted to, you could migrate by yourself.

I will do the final migration for my community in a short while with upper mentionned method. It will work and do the trick.

What do you expect more in the meantime ?

More
14 years 7 months ago #50 by Linuus
Sorry, I didn't mean to bash at the developers, I'm sure they are working hard. And this is a free (and great) component so I don't have any expectations :)

I was only a bit too excited about the migrator component. I thought it was almost ready for release, and then you hear nothing for almost a month.

So, I will keep my old forum locked for viewing only and then the users have to re-register into my Joomla site. Actually that is not a huge problem. The registration process is pretty short and I have added some fields for JomSocial etc. that I'd like them to fill out anyway so :)

I do hope this component will be released sooner or later :)

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds