The Kunena Team is thrilled to announce Kunena 1.6 alpha. This is a development release and should be used for testing and should not be used on live websites.
For several months, the Kunena Team has been focused on developing the new version—Kunena 1.6—which we're happy to release in alpha version today. This version bridges the previous Kunena 1.5 (which contains a lot of legacy code from Fireboard) and Kunena 2.0 (rewritten and based on the Joomla 1.5/1.6 MVC structure). Kunena 1.6 has many new features requested by the users. Most of the features developed in Kunena 1.6 will easily work in Kunena 2.0.
In the Kunena 1.6 alpha release, you will find many new features, including:
- Revamped administrator backend
- New, centralized template system
- Polls are now integrated
- New backend Trash Manager to collect all deleted topics or messages
- A new way to add attachments to posts (AJAX-based and no need to edit the message multiple times)
- New moderation tools (with functions move, merge, split, delete) with less buttons
- User IPs can be easily blocked or banned (directly in their profile or in the backend Kunena User Manager)
- New installer system with step by step details of the installation process (and Joomla 1.6 compatible)
- Anonymous Tipping allows users to post topics in a defined category completely anonymously (no IP, no tracking)
- Users can delete their own messages within a defined period of time
- Improved RSS features
- New BBcode editor, including post preview
- Color coded categories
- Category subscriptions
- Converted from jQuery to MooTools 1.2 for better compatibility
These are just a few of the many new features and changes in Kunena 1.6. A lot of outdated code has been either removed or rewritten as well.
Kunena 1.6 also works with Joomla 1.6. The new ACL system hasn't been leveraged yet, but the Kunena Team is committed to making Kunena run on Joomla 1.6 once it becomes final.
For more information about this release, see the release notes.