Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved K 4.0.3 Crypsis "automatically" subscribes to topic; Blue Eagle does not

More
8 years 8 months ago #1 by sozzled
I have the following configuration setting:

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Check Subscription Box = No

I do not want the "Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic" checkbox to be checked, by default (as you see here, on the forum at www.kunena.org .

The configuration settings are here:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : protostar | author: Kyle Ledbetter | version: 1.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Crypsis | author: Kunena Team | version: 4.0.3 | creationdate: 2015-06-29

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 4.0.3 | 2015-06-29 [ Possagno ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 3.1.1

I conducted the following test of K 4.0.3. Using K 4.0.3 Blue Eagle, this the following screenshot shows what appears on my site before pressing the submit button:

The following screenshot shows what happens after pressing the submit button.

The message is posted and the user is not subscribed to the topic. In other words, the configuration setting works with K 4.0.3 Blue Eagle.

I then changed the template to use K 4.0.3 Crypsis. This is the configuration report after the change:

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Joomla default template details : protostar | author: Kyle Ledbetter | version: 1.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Crypsis | author: Kunena Team | version: 4.0.3 | creationdate: 2015-06-29

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 4.0.3 | 2015-06-29 [ Possagno ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 3.1.1

Now look at the following screenshot that shows that the "Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic" checkbox is now checked

This is not what is wanted. The following screenshot shows that, after pressing the submit button, the user is now subscribed to the topic!

This demonstration shows that the configuration setting

does not work if you use the Crypsis template in K 4.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by 810
you need to update to k4.0.5, then its fixed.

More
8 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled

810 wrote: you need to update to k4.0.5, then its fixed.

What do you mean "it's fixed"? When was it broken?

I have looked through the release notes for all versions of K 4.0 and I cannot find where the new "feature" was added.

I have looked at the release notes for K 4.0.5 and I cannot see where the "fix" was implemented.

The issue is simple. Does the setting

have any meaning in K 4.0 Crypsis? If this setting means something, what does it do and is there any documentation about how to turn on/off the subscribe checkbox? I have a couple of customers who have asked me about this issue because they are concerned about a potential impact on privacy laws.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #4 by 810
What was broken, was the checkbox,

it doesn't taking the setting before, different choices between newtopic/reply.

"•Subscribe's box is always enabled #3303"
github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/3304

The setting is working now on all default templates. 3rt party template builders must update their template to.

Default new user is "-1"

"-1" = Kunena config setting
"0" = disabled on user setting
"1" = Enable on user setting
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by 810.

More
8 years 8 months ago #5 by rich

What do you mean "it's fixed"? When was it broken?

I have looked through the release notes for all versions of K 4.0 and I cannot find where the new "feature" was added.

Kunena 4.0.4 Read Me
*Subscribe's box is always enabled #3303

have any meaning in K 4.0 Crypsis? If this setting means something, what does it do and is there any documentation about how to turn on/off the subscribe checkbox? I have a couple of customers who have asked me about this issue because they are concerned about a potential impact on privacy laws.

This setting has always been there. The user could always select the checkbox self, if subscription is allowed. Now he has this setting also in his profile. What has that to do with privacy laws?

More
8 years 8 months ago #6 by sozzled
Thanks for the reply. I still do not understand what you mean.

I looked at the setting

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Check Subscription Box

In K 4.0.3 it has two possible values: Yes and No. Irrespective of either setting, the checkbox is always enabled in K 4.0.3 Crypsis.

810 wrote:

Default new user is "-1"

In K 4.0.5 the setting

still has two possible values (Yes and No). If I understand you correctly, this setting applies to setting the profile settings for new users who register after K 4.0.3. Is that correct?

If I understand you correctly, the user profile setting determines if the checkbox is checked or not checked for Crypsis and Blue Eagle. Is that correct?

If I understand you correctly, the user profile setting is initialised by the configuration setting. (The default value of the configuration setting is Yes; therefore user profiles created after K 4.0.x will most probably inherit the default, i.e. "yes").

If I have misunderstood something I would appreciate your advice as to how to best use these features.

I notice that there is no mention of these changes (or its fix) in the K 4.0.4/K 4.0.5 release notes.

More
8 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled

rich wrote: The user could always select the checkbox self, if subscription is allowed. Now he has this setting also in his profile. What has that to do with privacy laws?

This has everything to do with privacy. I don't have the time to explain the legal implications here at this time (perhaps I will write an article about it in the future) but, at this time, I am obtaining legal advice just to be absolutely sure.

In another topic there is a reference to an idea by the developers to implement autosubscription as an "integrated" (core) feature of Kunena. I have already offered my opinion.

The point that I was trying to make is that Kunena has the potential to create an impression that forum users will automatically be subscribed whenever they post messages on the forum and we need to find a way to help people to avoid the potential for privacy actions taken against forum owners. Better help, better service, less problems; that's all I want us to do.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #8 by rich

If I understand you correctly, the user profile setting is initialised by the configuration setting. (The default value of the configuration setting is Yes; therefore user profiles created after K 4.0.x will most probably inherit the default, i.e. "yes").

The user inherits not Yes and also not No. It is the 3. option (Default). Default used always the same setting as in the backend.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rich.

More
8 years 8 months ago #9 by 810

sozzled wrote: I looked at the setting

In K 4.0.3 it has two possible values: Yes and No. Irrespective of either setting, the checkbox is always enabled in K 4.0.3 Crypsis.

810 wrote:

Default new user is "-1"

In K 4.0.5 the setting

still has two possible values (Yes and No). If I understand you correctly, this setting applies to setting the profile settings for new users who register after K 4.0.3. Is that correct?

Yes, the new settings is only for new users, otherwise all users setting will be lost.

in the config:
- 2 options

User edit settings:
- 3 options
* default setting is kunena config

If I understand you correctly, the user profile setting determines if the checkbox is checked or not checked for Crypsis and Blue Eagle. Is that correct?

Yes, Users have the controlling if they get the emails. Not the admin. Admin can only set the default setting.

If they want to disable the feature they need to make a override to hide the setting.

Yes that's correct.

I notice that there is no mention of these changes (or its fix) in the K 4.0.4/K 4.0.5 release notes

Its in the K4.0.4 and K4.0.5 release notes:
  • Subscribe's box is always enabled #3303

In another topic there is a reference to an idea by the developers to implement autosubscription as an "integrated" (core) feature of Kunena. I have already offered my opinion.

We are integrating this feature with default option is turned off. And the setting will be in the joomla-kunena plugin, Not on the default kunena configuration.

We have this feature already some time in the main code (+2 years), but uncommented so the feature is disabled at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.625 seconds