Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Kunena users/members

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #1 by Oscarfishlover
When somebody registers via the Kunena forum and not the Joomla login/register system, are there details only kept in the Joomla database? The reason I ask is because I am migrating a website/forum to another hosting company and at the moment it is on a temporary URL. It might take me another month to complete. I plan on doing a website burst and then at the last minute, transferring the forum tables across. I was hoping that if I disabled the Joomla login/Registry system, so people could only register an account through Kunena, their details will be stored in the Kunena database. In other words, when I eventually move all the Kunena tables across, I would move all the new members that have joined since I migrated the Joomla script. Hope someone can't answer

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Oscarfishlover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Kunena users/members
G'day, mate. I think I understand what you're driving at but, until someone else provides you with a better answer, I'd like to offer you a few thoughts to consider.

Kunena does not perform any of the user registration tasks like adding, changing or deleting user accounts. These functions are handled by Joomla. Other third-party extensions (like Community Builder and JomSocial) can assist these account maintenance functions (if you have them installed).

This is a very important point and it's one that probably causes some confusion. When you wrote

I was hoping that if I disabled the Joomla login/Registry system, so people could only register an account through Kunena, their details will be stored in the Kunena database.

I feel that it was important we make the distinction between what Kunena does and what Joomla does.

Although the Kunena User Administration function allows you to administer certain functions that registered users have in your forum (such as forum "rank" or moderator privileges), the Kunena user table obtains these records from your Joomla user table. In other words, when a new user registers with your site a a Kunena record is created from their Joomla account. When a user is unregistered (i.e. deleted from the Joomla table) the corresponding record is also deleted from the Kunena table.

So, yes, you can disable the Joomla registration system. You can also disable the login function, too, but Kunena by itself won't accommodate those functions for you. :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #3 by Oscarfishlover
I did rather anticipate that was going to be the answer.that's going to be a bit of a bummer. There is no way I can rush the construction of my new website. It's going to take me a few weeks before it's completely ready. By that time, I'll have a couple more hundred members on the website.

I think I will have to rethink what I'm going to do..I've already migrated the script across which is obviously all the Joomla content. I can export the Kunena tables at the last minute so I won't lose many posts. I don't suppose any way of updating a 1.5 database from a 1.0 platform?

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
14 years 7 months ago #4 by sozzled
No doubt that question (converting your membership database) has been asked and answered at the Joomla support forum and that's where I would start. It should be possible to export the Joomla user table from your J! 1.0.x website and import it into your J! 1.5.x site; some conversion may be necessary. Like I said, the question has probably been asked hundreds of times. I don't think it's really a major headache - it will require your patience and perseverence - and I'm prepared to help you with ideas and suggestions if you think they're worthwhile.

In your case I would start the process rolling by establishing your new J! 1.5.x website. Even if the new site lacks the "bells and whistles" of your old site, you can begin by getting your users familiar with the new look-and-feel. Disable the user registrations on your old site and encourage your members to visit the new one. This will buy you some time to migrate the features (even if you don't necessarily employ the same component software that you originally used) from the old site to the new one.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5 by Oscarfishlover
Not sure what's going on. I recently migrated the website in question to another domain so it was an absolutely duplicate.it's not so important website so I thought I would do some testing on it since it was exactly the same as the one I want to upgrade. So I exported the "user tables" from the old 1.0 site. I deleted the same tables from the 1.5 site and then import the ones that I just backed up. Didn't get any errors, it was successful. However it doesn't seem to have replaced all the users.

I'll have to do a little bit more testing but it seems that the database from a 1.0 site is the same as the 1.5 site, if it wasn't, I would have got an error when importing.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
14 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
G'day, mate. I had a quick look on your behalf at the Joomla help site. You might find these resources useful to you: I think the answers are there, somewhere. :)

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #7 by Oscarfishlover
Now we're getting somewhere. I was successfully importing the updated user table, however users were not showing up in Joomla, only in the database.I think that some of the information you have provided may just hold the key to what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks, keep your fingers crossed

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
14 years 7 months ago #8 by Oscarfishlover
well, I'm not exactly getting very far. I've spent the whole day trying to do this on still no joy. The instructions you gave me seem to work to everyone else. One of the links pointed to Joomla and the author of the instructions is also trying to help out. So I posted a message hoping someone will help.

Basically, the user tables will import perfectly okay. The (# jos_core_acl_aro
# jos_core_acl_groups_aro_map tables) are giving me trouble. Before I import them to the new site, I am emptying the tables. However a message is telling me that they already exist. I'm at a loss at the moment.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
14 years 7 months ago #9 by sozzled
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had any joy, mate. Actually, I was hoping that someone else (with more technical knowledge or direct experience of your situation) might have chipped in with a few suggestions but, alas, it seems that they're all on holidays at the moment. :(

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #10 by Oscarfishlover
Houston, the Eagle Has Landed

Got it working now. I ran a script that Sam provided in one of the threads. It seems that even though I was emptying the tables, they obviously weren't emptying properly although it was telling me they were empty. Anyway, his script obviously emptied them properly and verything went in just fine on all my new users are now showing up. At last!

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds