Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Quoting..

More
13 years 2 months ago #1 by goodisonblue
Quoting.. was created by goodisonblue
Hi

Just started using Kunena which I've set up on a very busy site

Users love it, the only issue is text quoting

When someone quotes someone who has quoted someone else and so on, posts can get very long even just for one new line added on

Is there anyway of modding the code so that only the previous person's post is included in a quote rather than all the stuff they quoted

Many thanks

Mark
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by snilloconator
Replied by snilloconator on topic Re: Quoting..
You can select the specific text by highlighting and put quote brackets around that.
  • Joshua123
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #3 by Joshua123
Replied by Joshua123 on topic Re: Quoting..
Of course you can do that but you know as good as I do that on a busy forum people just click quote and that's it. What the TS is referring to is known as 'nested quotes'. For example: phpBB has an option to select a maximum (e.g. 2) of nested quotes. This would be useful in the TS's case because than only the last two reply's will be quoted.

To answer his question, I don't know if it is possible to achieve that via modding the code a bit. I think it'll need some more extensive work because Kunena has to detect and correctly remove nested quotes without messing up the post.

Maybe that such an option can be included in K2.0?
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Joshua123.
More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by goodisonblue
Replied by goodisonblue on topic Re: Quoting..
Yeah that's it

There's no way people are going to bother snipping and working out which quote belongs where, the forum moves too fast for that. Shame if there's no way of modding it, might have a look at the code anyway
More
12 years 2 months ago #5 by wallstreetamigo
Replied by wallstreetamigo on topic Re: Quoting..
Was a solution to this ever found? Is it something that can be changed? My users HATE the handling of quotes in Kunena. It is almost to the point of having to go back to phpbb if it can't be somehow fixed. I have looked but can find no way to fix this.
More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Quoting..

wallstreetamigo wrote: Was a solution to this ever found? Is it something that can be changed? My users HATE the handling of quotes in Kunena. It is almost to the point of having to go back to phpbb if it can't be somehow fixed. I have looked but can find no way to fix this.

I just pressed the quote button. Took me less than one second. I don't quite understand what needs to be fixed, specifically.

I understand that some forum sites make heavier use of quoting than other forum sites. I understand and I agree that for really heavy usage of quoting that there should be something easy to use. Kunena may not be particularly well suited to forum sites where users want to insert 50 quotes from other users into their messages. I agree with you. I also try to avoid overuse of quoting in my responses. The quote I used above was mainly to demonstrate that I don't have too many problems with the current quote feature in Kunena. I accept that other people will differ with my opinion.

I am not aware of a way to limit nested quotes in K 2.0 but I will leave it to someone else to respond with better information if they have any.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
More
12 years 1 month ago #7 by wallstreetamigo

sozzled wrote:

wallstreetamigo wrote: Was a solution to this ever found? Is it something that can be changed? My users HATE the handling of quotes in Kunena. It is almost to the point of having to go back to phpbb if it can't be somehow fixed. I have looked but can find no way to fix this.

I just pressed the quote button. Took me less than one second. I don't quite understand what needs to be fixed, specifically.

I understand that some forum sites make heavier use of quoting than other forum sites. I understand and I agree that for really heavy usage of quoting that there should be something easy to use. Kunena may not be particularly well suited to forum sites where users want to insert 50 quotes from other users into their messages. I agree with you. I also try to avoid overuse of quoting in my responses. The quote I used above was mainly to demonstrate that I don't have too many problems with the current quote feature in Kunena. I accept that other people will differ with my opinion.

I am not aware of a way to limit nested quotes in K 2.0 but I will leave it to someone else to respond with better information if they have any.

The problem is evident above.

I quote your response and it includes not only your quote but my previous quote.

If you now quote this response, it will then show all of the responses in your post rather than just the one you are quoting.
More
12 years 1 month ago #8 by wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo wrote:

sozzled wrote:

I quote your response and it includes not only your quote but my previous quote.

If you now quote this response, it will then show all of the responses in your post rather than just the one you are quoting.

Does this clarify what the problem is? If a bunch of people keep quoting (which some people like to do on forums more than otehrs) it will keep quoting every single post and become a huge response in no time.
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #9 by wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo wrote:

wallstreetamigo wrote:

sozzled wrote:

Does this clarify what the problem is? If a bunch of people keep quoting (which some people like to do on forums more than otehrs) it will keep quoting every single post and become a huge response in no time.

I just quoted again to show the progression.

What I would like is for it to only quote the one post I am quoteing, not all the previous ones in the conversation that have been quoted.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by wallstreetamigo.
More
12 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Quoting..
Thanks. I understand the issue.

I am very selective when I use the Quote feature. I prefer to use the Reply button instead.

I agree, it would be nice to limit the nesting of quotes with some "technology". In the meantime, you may have to rely on encouraging your users to be a little more selective. Just a thought.

Something to be done for the future.
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds