Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged "Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

More
10 years 6 months ago #151 by jansiebold
I can see the reasons why the Kunena developers warn against automatic subscription and only give the option to subscribe to a board. However, some audiences prefer automatic subscription.
Would it be possible to give administrators the choice between automatic subscription and optional subscription? That would be a welcome solution for many.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #152 by sozzled
Yes the overall desire is to provide administrators with the ability to (somehow) subscribe the members of their communities to categories of topics and to allow their users to opt out from receiving email notifications (if the users, themselves, don't want them). The thing is that we don't have the manpower, time or money to produce this particular development in the immediate time-frame.

I've been thinking that it should be straightforward to write a module that the administrator could use and, with this module, subscribe all users to (or unsubscribe them from) a given category. It would probably take me a few days to write this module, to test it, to make it look "pretty", you know what I mean? Of course, if I wrote such a thing it would not officially be part of the Kunena project - this would entirely be my own work - and I would be pleased to share this work if people were willing to pay me for it. I am not the only person who would be willing to write some feature that people have clamoured for in this topic but, one day I'm sure, we'll get around to it. ;)

Just as a matter of interest, how much do you think a feature like this would be worth if it was done as an optional "extra"? If, say, there were 20 people willing to pay $25 for such a tool, I could just about break even on the cost involved in developing a solution ... well, almost! :D
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sozzled.
More
10 years 6 months ago #153 by jansiebold
Sure, I would be willing to pay for that feature. It would make all the difference for our community website (twotownsonline.org) Certainly $25, more if that is needed to make it worth your while. Other readers of this topic, can you chip in as well?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled
More
10 years 5 months ago #154 by jacopo
Hi :-)
I'm wandering if there is a way to set the forum in a way that all registered joomla users (or user groups) are subsribed automatically or manually to a forum category

i have a school and the forum is used also for announcing... so i want the students to be notified when a new topic or post is created.....

Thanks
More
10 years 5 months ago #155 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

G'day, jacopo, and welcome to the community.

As you can can see your question has been asked many times before. At this time there is no "automatically subscribe all users" feature in Kunena. It is also important to remember that, if there was an automatic subscription feature used by some site operators, members of those sites would still want the ability to be able to control what they were subscribed to because they may not want emails about subjects they're uninterested in. So, as a general response to this request for "let's have an automatic subscription feature for Kunena", one should be careful about what one asks for. ;)

One month ago someone asked for this feature and my reply was

sozzled wrote: Just as a matter of interest, how much do you think a feature like this would be worth if it was done as an optional "extra"? If, say, there were 20 people willing to pay $25 for such a tool, I could just about break even on the cost involved in developing a solution ... well, almost! :D

It may interest people to know that, in that time, not one person has come to me and offered money for this proposal. Not one! Well, we are still here and this topic, that began four years ago, is still waiting for a resolution but I'm not holding out much hope that people are genuinely interested in paying for it. :)
More
10 years 5 months ago #156 by jansiebold
Hi Sozzled,
A month ago I answered that I would certainly be willing to pay $25 or more. Let me be more specific- I'll pay $100.

Hi anybody who reads this thread,
Let's help each other and offer to pay Sozzled for his efforts.

I can certainly identify with Sozzled's frustration. I maintain a popular community website, but nobody is inclined to donate. $100 out of my own pocket is peanuts compared with the time I spend on this volunteer effort.

Jan de Vries; Vermont USA
More
10 years 4 months ago #157 by tribal6
Hi
We use kunena forum on a few client sides.
Three of them have as user groups only guests/public, and every employee as a registered j-user, and they use the forum as a internal message and discussion board for the company.

And that every Employee ist automatic a subscriber on every topics/categories, respectivly that every user becomes automatic notification mails without any actions needed, I extended on these installations the 'loadSubscribers'-Query with a union on every registered and non blocked Joomla user (as they are all employees in #__users) in the kunena-libray on in access.php with a additionally union (~line 605)
Code:
$query[] = "SELECT u.id as user_id FROM `#__users` as u inner join #__kunena_users as k on k.userid = u.id where u.block = 0";

And after every update I have to check if the access.php is overwritten by the update itself.

Would be usefull to make these 'notification automated for all'-feature as a configurable option in the subscriber-settings of the forum (notification to all yes/no and wich usergroup). Maybe with the addionally option 'to all Joomla-users' or 'to all Kunena-users'.

Could be a usefull feature for all company-sites who use the forum as a internal message-board.

Or maybe I've missing something, and these behavior is there/possible (i.e. by a plugin), than please forgive me and tell me how to enable it. :laugh:

Regards
Roger
More
10 years 4 months ago #158 by jansiebold
Many people have requested on this board the option to subscribe users automatically to categories. Kubik-Rubik provided a plug-in that subscribed new users automatically. Last week, Kubik-Rubik added the option to subscribe existing users to all categories. Installing this revised plug-in was easy. Executing the function posed a little hurdle; “Mode Setting” in the Plug-in Manager needs to be set to “Selection”.
Subscribing 400 users to 16 categories took 10 seconds on a slow connection.

Link to the plug-in: joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.de/ask-aut...scription-for-kunena
More
10 years 4 months ago #159 by Kubik-Rubik
Released a version for Joomla! 3 of Auto Subscription for Kunena: joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.de/downloa...-for-kunena/joomla-3

Have success!

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de
More
9 years 11 months ago #160 by sozzled
This topic—going back 4¾ years ago—is now closed. The main points in this topic have been summarised in an article written for the community and published on our blog page.

If people have other comments to make about "plans" that the Kunena team has for developing a feature that "automatically" subscribes members of their forums to receive email notifications of new forum activity then they are welcome to make those comments in response to the article I have written. Further discussion on what people may do in relation to forum "autosubscription" should see Automatic subscriptions .

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic (and to other discussions) over the years.
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds