Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Spell Checker?

More
14 years 3 months ago #1 by freedomcoach
Spell Checker? was created by freedomcoach
Hi everyone:

I'm wondering if there is a possibility of plug-in for Kunena that will do a spell check. This has been requested by some of my users.

Happy holidays!

Sincerely,
Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #2 by DesoWV
Replied by DesoWV on topic Re:Spell Checker?
Are you talking about a pop-up window type of spell check when you click post? Because Kunena already has a built in spell check... if you spell a word wrong it underlines if with red and you can right click it to select the correct spelling. :woohoo:

More
14 years 3 months ago #3 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re:Spell Checker?
This is great. Is this spell checker on by default in the configuration or does it need to be turned on in the administration area? Also, can this spell checker be turned on or off by an individual user or is it only a global setting? I appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 3 months ago #4 by DesoWV
From my experience it is on by default and Global. I don't recall turning it on...

More
14 years 3 months ago #5 by freedomcoach
I have no idea how to use it and have never seen it in operation. Do I need to submit a post with spelling errors in order to see it working?

Sincerely,
Howard

More
14 years 3 months ago #6 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re:Spell Checker?
There is no spell checker in Kunena, nor do we intend to add one and here is why:

Most modern web browsers come with ont built in. The browser can leverage your local dictionary and as such will always to a better job spell checking based on a users preference.

Check the browser settings and turn on the spell checker if not already enabled by default.

Hope this helps!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 3 months ago #7 by DesoWV
freedomcoach,

Sorry about that confusion, fxstein is correct, I am running Firefox 3.5.6 and it is built in. I just tried in Internet Explorer 8 and it did not do any spell checking...

Again, sorry for the confusion.

More
14 years 3 months ago #8 by freedomcoach
I use Safari on my MacBook has also Firefox version 3.5.6. I have not noticed any spell checker in Firefox nor have I seen any in Safari. I will look for them. Thanks for the tip.

Howard

More
14 years 3 months ago #9 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Spell Checker?
Thank you, freedomcoach, for starting this discussion. I've been using Mozilla Firefox for the past couple of years and, although I always suspected that one of its benefits was automatic spell-checking, I never bothered to enquire about the feature. This probably explains why I often have to revise many of my posts! :laugh:

Spell-checking solutions exist for Internet Explorer (although I don't know much about them): for example, Google has a toolbar that is supposed to automatically spell-check as you type; I rarely add extra toolbars to my browser because they usually contain redundant features that you can access in other ways (and therefore they are unnecessary or superfluous) or they cause more trouble than they're worth. Mostly these additional toolbars merely serve as ever-present advertisements for their developers. Why would you need to know, every time you misspelt something, that Google was responsible for saving your arse? :silly:

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds