Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Idea [Merged topic] Category Images - PNG or GIF?

More
12 years 9 months ago #1 by wysiwyg
Hi,

I searched forum and could'nt find the exact answer... thanks to sozzled there are some suggestions but no use for me :(

I would like to add seperate category images to each forum, I would like to add custom .png images, as we are expecting large amount of visitors, it is important for us to us .png's instead of .gif's

How can I do that?

My kunena version is 1.6.4 running joomla 1.6.3...

I change forum category images to my own path... Is that make a problem?

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Category images. I have probably answered this question a few dozen times: see msg #2 in How to change category icons on K1.6.x .

As far as I know, the image files for your category icons/images must be .gif format. It's possible - of course it's possible: anything's possible if you're prepared to invest your time or money into it - to change this. To change this requires changing the PHP code that looks for this information. Of course, if you change the PHP source code then you're going to have to remember to do this whenever you upgrade Kunena in future.

So, if it's important that you use .png format then you can accommodate these things, for a price - your time to change the source code and remember to make the same changes in future or pay for someone else to do the job for you (and maintain your site for you). At this very moment, I don't know which particular file contains the line of code you need to change but that shouldn't be too difficult to search for.

On the other hand, converting your .png to .gif may not take a lot of time and you'll never have to worry in future about maintaining your own customised PHP hacks?
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TBC, wysiwyg

More
12 years 9 months ago #3 by wysiwyg
thank you once again... you are so helpful...

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by Vue
Hi,

I know i can create notlogin.gif and so on,
But how can i use other formats, preferably .png?

Thanks

More
12 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled
You can use other image types. The current version of Kunena does not have an easy-to-configure way of choosing alternative image types, however. You can change the PHP source code to use different image types; I can't remember where to find information that tells you what, specifically, you need to change. I'm sure though, if we all looked around we would find the answer.

More
11 years 9 months ago #6 by c_schmitz
It might help someone else.

To change .gif to .png just edit /components/com_kunena/funcs/listcat.php . Around line 128-160 you will find three occurences of '.gif'. (_on.gif, _off.gif and _notlogin.gif)

Just replace with .png and you are good to go.

Hopefully Kunena 2.0 will have this fixed to .png for good. Seriously, which browser does not support .png yet (and is not >10 years old).
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds