Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Move K1.7 from J1.5.23 to J.1.7

More
12 years 7 months ago #1 by dimoss
Hi,

I have a site in J1.5.23 version and I want to upgrade it to J1.7.
In this site there is a live forum with Kunena 1.7
How can I move the forum to the new site with all data?
Thanks,

Denis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #2 by 810

More
12 years 7 months ago #3 by dimoss
Hi,

I know how to upgrade from J1.5 to J1.7.
I don't know how to move the forum from one installation to the other.
Thanks,

Denis

More
12 years 7 months ago #4 by xillibit
Hello,

You need to export all tables nammed kunena_* and data that you have in /media/kunena/*, then you can just launch kunena installation

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5 by dimoss
Thanks for the reply.

That's the easy part.

The difficult part is to migrate the users in a way so they have the same id! Otherwise I will have problems with the forum posts etc.

Denis

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #6 by venture
I'm running into a similar problem. I had an old Joomla 1.0 site with Kunena installed that I'm bringing up to Joomla 1.7. Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Install brand new Joomla 1.5 site
2. Migrate data from old Joomla 1.0 site to new 1.5 site
3. Upgrade Joomla 1.5 site to Joomla 1.7 site
4. Copy Kunena database tables (fb_) from old Joomla 1.0 site to new Joomla 1.7 site
5. Install Kunena on 1.7 site

Everything goes perfectly until I get to that last step. There is no migrate option displayed on the screen (just an "Install Kunena 1.7 option" that is not selectable, and an "Install Kunena 1.6" option that is selectable - screenshot attached). If I exit out of the installer, the forum is offline with no way (that I can see) to put it online. If I continue with the only option in the installer (install Kunena 1.6) it does appear to take me to Kunena 1.7, but with virgin forum data. If I try to copy over the old forum tables, I get a mysql error.

I've searched for migration instructions, and haven't found any that are working for me. Are me doing something stupid?
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by venture. Reason: Attached screenshot

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #7 by venture
Denis, I don't know if it will help you (perhaps you're already beyond this), but here's how I finally got things working (hopefully I'm remembering this correctly) in my upgrade from Joomla 1.5.23 to Joomla 1.7:

1. Make sure you are running Kunena 1.7 on your Joomla 1.523 site
2. Using phpMyAdmin or some other tool, export all your kunena_* tables from your Joomla 1.523 site database to somewhere on your desktop
3. Migrate your Joomla 1.523 site to a new Joomla 1.7 site using jUpgrade (a component). jUpgrade does all the work, downloading and installing a new Joomla 1.7 version of your site in a subdirectory of your 1.523 site, so you can test it before trashing your 1.523 site. In my case, it did not install Kunena on the Joomla 1.7 site.
4. Install Kunena 1.7 on your new Joomla 1.7 site (the site that is in a subdirectory of your 1.523 site). This will be a virgin Kunena install, with only the default starting info.
5. With the file you made in step 2 (the Kunena database tables), open a text editor on your computer and perform a find and replace to change the table prefixes to whatever your Joomla 1.7 site is using. In my case, I changed all instances of jos_ in the Kunena tables to j17_. Save the file with the changes.
6. Using phpMyAdmin, Drop (i.e. delete) the kunena_* tables in the Joomla 1.7 site's database.
7. Using phpMyAdmin, import the file you made in step 5 (the new database tables)
8. I haven't done this yet, but my next step will be to move my Joomla 1.5.23 site to a subdirectory (to keep until I'm sure I don't need it), and move the 1.7 site to the site root.

That was it. After all day pounding my head against the desk, I got things working. If that doen't solve your problem, maybe it will save somebody else the frustration I had today.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by venture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DJ, SportFish

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #8 by DJ
I am running Kunena 1.6.1 on our current site; is that easy to upgrade to 1.7 before migrating into the Joomla 1.7 site? One more question: where exactly do I find the kunena database tables-I use FileZilla for most upload stuff. This all quite nerve-racking for a novice, you know! :) I appreciate your step-by-step once I get to that point...just what I need. Thanks much! DJ
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by DJ.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #9 by venture
I think I went from an early version of Kunena straight to 1.7, so I'm not sure about 1.61. I think they've made it easier with every version, though. The newer versions give you a big button to press. Simple as that.

For your database tables, you need an app that handles databases. Most hosting providers offer something like cPanel or something similar. Within cPanel are a suite of different options and apps. One of them is phpMyAdmin, and it is a database tool. In phpMyAdmin, you find the name of your database in the left margin, click it, and then a list of your tables shows up in the main window. You want to select all the ones that have "kunena" anywhere in the name (use SHIFT-click to select multiple ones at once), and then use the Export option at the bottom of the list to save them locally on your PC.

Before you do anything - backup! I actually exported a complete copy of my database, and imported those tables into a virgin database, and made my changes on the copy without messing with my original database. You can backup by either using the Backup feature in cPanel, or by exporting all of your tables using phpMyAdmin.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by venture. Reason: clarity

More
12 years 7 months ago #10 by etkritikonspoudon
I am itching to update to joomla 1.7 from J1.5.23 and I have looked into the migration options.
One thing that seems crucial is to maintain the same ids. It seem JUpgrade does not do so...I have come across another extension, called SP Upgrade which claims to do exactly that and it's reviews are stellar...unfortunately, though, it is commercial...but it may be the way for me to go...

Using that extension what you need to do is
- Make a clean J1.7 installation
- install the extension, configure it and run it
- Clean install all your extensions, compatible version for J1.7
- Test, test, test.
- Then I guess copy old site to subfolder, and copy j17 site to root

Regarding the database for Kunena, seems like what -logically needs to be done is
- export kunena database entries from old site
- Install Kunena on new site
- Drop the newly created database entries for Kunena
- Import the database entries from previous site.

Haven't gone through the process yet, I haven't made my final decision to go with J1.7 that early (really don't want to run into serious bugs and beta test practically)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DJ

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds