Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Postimage pics to local storage ?

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1 by reefer
hi, i am completely new to Joomla/Kunena and have a question on images stored on Postimage.org.

Migrating from a provider and limited diskspace to one that offers plenty diskspace.
The limited diskspace situation led to the choice to host pics on Postimage.org.
The risk here is that when Postimage quits, or for some other reason the images are lost,
the forum loses all images.

I see this too often :

Now that we have plenty space i am looking to download all pics to local storage, and replace all links to these Postimage pics with links to the downloaded ones on local storage.

Is there a way to do so using a script, plugin or some other method ?

Your help is appreciated !
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by reefer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
It is possible to "hotlink" images—images stored on other sites (e.g. postimage.org)—in Kunena. You should also remember that "hotlinking" images may be illegal in some parts of the world.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #3 by reefer

sozzled wrote: It is possible to "hotlink" images—images stored on other sites (e.g. postimage.org)—in Kunena. You should also remember that "hotlinking" images may be illegal in some parts of the world.

Thank you, hotlinking is what has been used here for a long time.
Postimage is intended specifically for that purpose.

Source : About Postimage.org

Postimage.org was founded in 2004 to provide forums with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast, reliable free image host. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs, and other websites.

The worry i have, is that if Postimage stops - my forum loses all images in all threads.

What i am looking for, is an automated way of

- checking all messages in the forum for the presence of a Postimage link
- download this picture to local storage,
- replace the Postimage link with one to the downloaded picture.

Effectively eliminating all hotlinks this way and not have to rely on a Postimage server for all pics in my forum.

Would you have knowledge of a SQL script, plugin or other method to accomplish this ?

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #4 by reefer

sozzled wrote: It is possible to "hotlink" images—images stored on other sites (e.g. postimage.org)—in Kunena. You should also remember that "hotlinking" images may be illegal in some parts of the world.

For those Kunena software users affected by such lawgiving, a module to do just this would be a valuable cleanup tool.
Even more if it could be scheduled. If it does not exist maybe this qualifies for a feature request ;)

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #5 by sozzled

reefer wrote: The worry I have, is that if Postimage stops - my forum loses all images in all threads.

Yes, that's what will happen and—as you stated at the beginning—you were aware of the calculcated risks in the first place.

There is no existing "script" (as you called it) to locate all occurrences of "postimage.org" embedded within the image tags of your forum messages but you could write an SQL query to search the _kunena_messages_text table, something like:
Code:
SELECT message FROM _kunena_messages_text WHERE message LIKE "%postimage.org%"
This isn't the exact syntax; it's just to give you an idea of what you would need to write.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #6 by reefer

sozzled wrote: Yes, that's what will happen and—as you stated at the beginning—you were aware of the calculcated risks in the first place.

I was aware of the risk - it was not my decision.. but, as is often the case in IT, i inherited this and am looking to solve it.
Thank you for your replies, you're the only one that responded out of 16K viewers.

Still hoping someone has a solution !

More
8 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled

reefer wrote: Still hoping someone has a solution !

I posted [part of] the solution in my previous message

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #8 by reefer
yes, that's a very minimal piece of info, it does not help me.
As i said, i am completely new to this.
And i have read the sticky "How to Destroy your forum data"

If you have any info that helps me further i appreciate it, otherwise
i thank you and let's give the floor to contributors that do ?

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled

reefer wrote: yes, that's a very minimal piece of info

Actually, if you know anything about SQL, I gave you the whole solution.

reefer wrote: If you have any info that helps me further i appreciate it

The way I see it, you have three options:

1) Take a crash course in SQL (using a tool like phpMyAdmin) or figure out your own solution;

2) Wait, hope and pray (or beg) that someone else will provide you with a different solution to the one I have already given you; or

3) Engage a professional to give you exactly what you need to pinpoint the messages that contain links to Postimage and get the matter solved within an hour.

Good luck with whatever choice you settle with. :)

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #10 by reefer

sozzled wrote: Actually, if you know anything about SQL, I gave you the whole solution.

nope, you offered no solution, not even close.

You offered the general syntax for a SQL command to query if any postimage links are present.
Not an option to downoad and store pics locally, NOT a way to replace the URL's.

thanks for your reaction, but unless you have something solid to offer i'd rather you not pollute this topic this way.

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds