Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question PHPBB3 to Kunena - step by step.

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 6 days ago #1 by Maffu
I'm not a propellerhead by any standards but I've managed to convert from PHPBB3 to Kunena 1.0.8 with a little help from people here. I downloaded a couple of files and joined them into one as they were having problems working. I posted a longer description of how I went about it but here is a shorter version, with a pre-prepared file to go with it. All you need to do is fill in your details in the first bit of go.php
Note 1: I recommend you do this on a test server then import the finished database into your live site.
Note 2: I am not responsible if you cock things up. This is what worked for me - it may not for you. I'm only posting this advice because I couldn't find anything overly helpful myself. If you feel confident, then give it a go. If you don't, then don't!
Note 3: This walkthrough assumes that you have already installed Kunena 1.0.8 in your Joomla 1.5 installation.
Note 4: Take your site offline when doing this or at least make the Fireboard link Special - if someone posts to your temporary FB install while you're tinkering it could corrupt your database.
  1. Download converter.zip, which is attached to this post. Extract the converter folder,
  2. Open go.php in an editor and edit the first few lines to add your information such as database name etc. When you open the file it will be pretty obvious what to change - there are notes to follow. Save the file and close your editor.
  3. Upload the converter folder to your website.
  4. Download and install Fireboard 1.0.4 from this link . Don't use 1.0.5x. ** The install procedure is the same as for Kunena. Just make a temporary link to the Fireboard forum. Click the link to make sure that everything is working
  5. In a browser, navigate to yoursite.com/converter/go.php . Let it do it's stuff. (you may see some errors - don't worry, they should all be bots)
  6. Check the Fireboard link on your site to check that it has imported successfully.
  7. Remove Fireboard from your Joomla install and menus and delete the converter folder.
  8. Go to your Kunena forum - things should be magically transformed.
  9. It is probably a good idea to upgrade to Kunena 1.0.9 at this point.
Note that if you had smilies and emoticons in your PHPBB forum (and who doesn't) you then have to copy them into the correct folder your Kunena install. So, if the language of your Kunena install is English you would copy your smilies from %phpbb_root%/images/smilies/emoticons/ to %joomla_root%/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/english/emoticons/

File Attachment:

File Name: converter.zip
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 6 days ago by Maffu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #2 by Freestyl24
This great info. I hope this helps more people convert to Kunena. I chose Kunena because it integrates perfectly into Joomla and other components (Social, IM, etc). I wonder if the devs can use this info to make a script to convert PHPBB to Kunena once it goes 1.5. (As from what I read Kunena 1.5 will no longer use the same tables as Fireboard). Anyway thanks for posting this.

More
15 years 6 days ago #3 by Lintzy
Thank you for sharing, this will be a wonderful help for many users. One important:
It is recommend to update to Kunena 1.0.9, this tutorial talks about Migration to 1.0.8.

Just a short remember to complete it ;)

More
15 years 6 days ago #4 by johnnydement
Pinned ;)

Kudos for you! :D

More
15 years 6 days ago - 15 years 6 days ago #5 by forum-migrations
Password integrator for Phpbb3 (make password works with plug-in, not too difficult, but ideas are required for migrations!), work with this script and other possible scripts

File Attachment:

File Name: phpbbpass.zip
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 6 days ago by forum-migrations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frold

More
15 years 2 days ago - 15 years 2 days ago #6 by Matias
Sounds awfully complicated!

How about this:
  1. Install Kunena Forum Importer 0.1 Component for Joomla! 1.5
  2. Configure phpBB3 settings
  3. Component shows if everything is OK
  4. Hit Import

There are still things to do, but PM me, if you want to test it. :)
Last edit: 15 years 2 days ago by Matias.

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds